Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly the worst idea in the history of the world...

• 11-04-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

hey, i'm trying to find a flatmate for a spare room i have (it's pink, long story lol) without much success, my exgirlfriend contacted me the other day and said that he cousin was looking for a place, when i explained the situation she got back to me saying that he would take it and be happy to paint the room.

i was telling my mate who reckons it's the "worst idea in the history of the world ever" or as Blackadder said, the worst idea since olaf the hairy ordered 6000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside :)

the situation with the ex is a bit awkward sometimes, i'm just worried that if her cousin moves in then she could "drop in" at any time, don't really wanna give her that power over me but i really really need the rent money :(

any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

D'oh, tell him he cant move in, you have changed your mind

i cant rent a room in my house, my ex suggest he moved back in. I told him that i would rather eat stones.

I am really unsure of what your problem is tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Wouldn't do it myself. Regardless of how nice her cousin is, tell him you've changed your mind if you think it'll bring up awkwardness between you and your ex in the future. Do you really want to live in a house with the prospect of your ex dropping in at any time?

On the other hand, you reckon you can deal with this then it'll probably be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

irishbird wrote: »
    D'oh, tell him he cant move in, you have changed your mind...i cant rent a room in my house, my ex suggest he moved back in. I told him that i would rather eat stones...I am really unsure of what your problem is tbh

...what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think it'll be that big a deal, he needs a place, you need to rent it. Just explain to your ex if you are still on bad terms that's it'd be too hard for the both of use to be seeing each other all the time if she's coming around, or just show her that your over her and be cival when she's around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Sounds like a bad one to me too.

No matter how nice and sound both you and the cousin are things are gonna be a bit wierd between you, certainly at first.

Secondly you have also allowed your ex to call round to your place at any time without notice, quite reasonably. Depending on what sort of peron she is and how your break up went you can expect her to do this regularly. At some point in the first month you will get home from work to find her sitting on your couch eating toast.

Given that hings with you and your ex are "a bit awkward sometimes" I cant imagine why you would want to bring her back into your (daily) life like this. Tell the cousin sorry, you've changed your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wouldn't do it. I lived with the brother of my ex girlfriend for a few months a few years ago and to cut a long story short it was very messy for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

malice_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it. I lived with the brother of my ex girlfriend for a few months a few years ago and to cut a long story short it was very messy for all concerned.

The wise voice of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

On the other hand this is your golden opportunity to be rid of her for good. Bring some slapper back to stay the night some weekend and let the cousin break the news to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The wise voice of experience.
    Well, like a lot of things in life unfortunately, it's easy to be wise after the event :).

Having re-read the first post, he's still in contact with the ex and it's only awkward sometimes so another way of looking at it is that this gives the two of them the opportunity to work on their relationship as friends. I assume that's what they want as they have remained in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let cousin move but tell xgf she's not welcome?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

If the cousin moves in the ex will know what you are up to all the time.

ex: what did aligator_am do this weekend?
    cousin: oh he stayed in and ate beans from a can while looking at pictures of you.
    or - he went out and got laid.

either way, she will know what you are at. do you want that?
    and yes she will call over, you are essentially inviting her back into your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey, i'm trying to find a flatmate for a spare room i have (it's pink, long story lol) without much success, my exgirlfriend contacted me the other day and said that he cousin was looking for a place, when i explained the situation she got back to me saying that he would take it and be happy to paint the room.

i was telling my mate who reckons it's the "worst idea in the history of the world ever" or as Blackadder said, the worst idea since olaf the hairy ordered 6000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside :)

the situation with the ex is a bit awkward sometimes, i'm just worried that if her cousin moves in then she could "drop in" at any time, don't really wanna give her that power over me but i really really need the rent money :(

any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

terrible idea. tried that once. you will never get over the noises coming out of their bedroom for a start. And thats not even the half of it.

I cant advise this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Bad idea. Even if your ex doesn't drop by every now and again her cousin would tell her what you've been up to. It would be difficult to bring a girl back to yours with the cousin there...and he'd probably tell the ex. Awkward!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Also, if you and your ex find things awkward, what in Gods name are you telling her about the spare room, that was asking for trouble to be honest.
    Don't do it, there must be more out there to rent from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Very very bad idea tbh OP, find someone else.

Just tell him that your other housemate/landlord already found someone and tell him as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

biko wrote: »
    Let cousin move but tell xgf she's not welcome?
    That's not really fair, though. What has she done to deserve that treatment?
    terrible idea. tried that once. you will never get over the noises coming out of their bedroom for a start. And thats not even the half of it.
    I think you may have misread the OP ... :)

Aligator, it's not a great idea. If you and your ex-gf were at the stage of being friends, it might be fine, but "the situation with the ex is a bit awkward sometimes" says NO to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

aye wrote: »
    If the cousin moves in the ex will know what you are up to all the time.

ex: what did aligator_am do this weekend?
    cousin: oh he stayed in and ate beans from a can while looking at pictures of you.
    or - he went out and got laid.

either way, she will know what you are at. do you want that?
    and yes she will call over, you are essentially inviting her back into your life.

that's funny made me laugh.

are your ex and her cousin close/ good friends?if not it might not be so bad like the ex might not be there all the time. however if they are good friends i wouldn't think it to be the best idea really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

hey, i'm trying to find a flatmate for a spare room i have (it's pink, long story lol) without much success.....
    my exgirlfriend contacted me the other day and said that he cousin was looking for a place, when i explained the situation she got back to me saying that he would take it and be happy to paint the room.

Nip down to B&Q and buy a pot of Magnolia paint and a brush. De-clutter the room and set it up nicely. Tell the ex to tell her cousin the room is gone, and advertise the room again. This situation could've worked out fine, but then again it has potential for a disaster scenario too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mawsy

your house.
    your rules.
    no psycho ho cousins allowed.
    (aka-your ex)
    move him in.
    worst comes to worst.
    kick him out.

Advertisement