Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I get attached to quickly

• 13-04-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

For the last year or so I find myself getting overly attached to any guy I'm interested in. If I don't get a reply to a text or they don't call when they say they will I get really upset.

Although I try not to portray this, I'm sure guys pick up on it. It's either that or I have the personality of a goldfish.

I tired counseling but I don't really think it helped me. I don't tend to show emotion that often and really hate myself when I get upset or start crying. During counseling I always cried, I was like a baby and it made me feel even worse about myself. I told my counselor this but all he seemed to do was push me more and more and i'd end up crying more. So I stopped going.

I think I need to be snapped out of the idea that I need a guy in my life to be happy but I can't help it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

no advice really, but just wanted to say that i'm a bit like that too, ur not the only one... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like I was wittering on in another thread hereabouts and like I'll witter on here,:) I reckon people fall into a point somewhere on the line between pushers and pullers. In romantic connections especially. Pullers are the clingy types, pushers are the emotionally uninvolved types. The extremes along that line both stem from insecurity about themselves.

Those extremes tend to be attracted to each other too, which makes the situation more problematic. Pullers will seek out pushers as they plug into the insecurities of both. Of course that can escalate the behaviour of both types. The chances are high that you'll seek out men who are less emotionally involved and available by comparison to you. Which attracts you even more and also makes you feel lesser for not engaging with them. Rinse and repeat. This lesser feeling also plugs into your own self belief about yourself, which paradoxically feels safe to you.

The other thing you have to deal with more as a woman is the feeling that a lone woman is considered somehow lesser by peers and society in general(even in these post "feminist" times. Looong way to go there, among women as much as men). Even nouns for the single genders have different connotations. Spinster is pejorative as a term, bachelor is seem in a much better light. A woman on her own in a bar is seen as both vulnerable and in some ways a target, a man on his own is barely registered. Your female friends are more likely to talk about relationships than your male friends to boot. More importance is seemingly placed on that aspect of life. I know very accomplished women that judge a large part of their value on their relationships(not just romantic either).

All of this (adding your insecurities) makes you feel left out and in a way desperate to find a relationship. This may come across in the choices of men you fall for and will be picked up by the men you fall for. That can be a good recipe for failure. Again rinse and repeat.

As for the counselor, there are good and bad like in everything and maybe you should seek out another. Maybe you need more of a simple sounding board to reinforce the things you already know. The good things and the ways you ahve within yourself to change this idea about yourself.

Ultimately the relationship you have with yourself, warts and all will inform any relationship you have with others. If it's a pretty good one, then they will be similar.

Look to yoruself for a while. Work on you, your homelife, your career, maybe change the aforementioned. A change is as good as a rest. Don't equate your entire value with your need to be part of a couple. Two balanced individuals coming together as a couple, yet remaining individuals that share their individuality is what makes a good partnership. Don't beat yourself up about not finding that(or you) yet. I would say in my experience those kind of couples are by far the minority.

The work starts within you. No one else will get rid of that need but you and you have the power to do it. Also you never know what's coming around the bend so take each day as it comes and enjoy each day and experience as growth.

Do that and you'll be ok I reckon.

End wittering...:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A hint of desperation can often be apparent and is a good bit of a turn off. A lot guys get turned off is a girl pursues aggressively as well.

Give yourself a moratorium on the dating and persuing guys. The summmer might be a good amount of time. Avoid flirting and giving out phone numbers until September. Focus on doing some activities you might enjoy. Clubs/sports/projects - join a knitting circle, learn to surf, volunteer somewhere. An active friend and hobby set makes you much less partner focused and also makes you more interesting to the potential ones.

About the counseling, two things. First, you've got to be able to let yourself be vulnerable in counseling, that the whole point of it. You can't bow out because you're crying a lot. Second, all counselors aren't created equal. Way too many people try one, don't like them or click with them and think 'counseling wasn't for me.' Shop around, try another one. Maybe a female one will work better for you.

Advertisement