Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on making a band website

Options
  • 29-04-2012 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

What I mean by this is registering a domain and making a site with band information, songs, gigs, etc. I have tried ReverbNation, Bandcamp, Facebook, MySpace, BreakingTunes and these do not meet my needs.

The problem I have it that I don't know how to code or anything like that, so what have people here in my position done? How did you solve this issue?

Thanks

Comments

It might help if you let us know what "your needs" are. I personally find facebook and soundcloud does the job nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ElectricTaurus

For what I can gather you need to hire a web designer and have a custom made site for your band.

If you sync your Reverbnation with Facebook/Myspace/Twitter you have a really powerful tool at your disposal that you can cobine with Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

Once you upadte something on the Reverbnation account it will display on all the other sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Something simple and uncomplicated. Doesn't need to be flashy. Contains all the info in one page. I am thinking maybe a Wordpress page with a registered domain, but they charge you more to embed video/audio, which is a shame.

I find Reverbnation to be overcomplicated. Band equity statistics abound, and yet finding the bands songs is an ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

check this crowd out bandzoogle.com (there are other providers to if you google around but these are specifically geared at musicians). it works out around a tenner a month with a load of functionality. u can also sign up for a free trial - just do it and see how it goes, its a no brainer.

i and a few others i know use them and find them brilliant. no coding expertise needed. if you're anyway half decent IT you'll fly it. basically if you can work your way around facebook, reverbnation etc etc u should be fine.

if you're serious about music, you need somewhere you can put your own stamp on. its amazing how many people aren't aware of services like these. you can get really professional results for not a lot of money and you have complete control.

don't waste money going to a web developer. unless you've got loads of it to waste that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Check out Radiohead's website, one of the best band websites there is I think. Simple layout, easy to read, content straight up front, no loading screens, no fancy intro screens, no music that automatically starts playing when you load the page. (If you're interested, check out the source code (cmd+U on Firefox, cmd+option+U on Chrome). Really simple stuff, bar the little bit of java to animate the buttons at the top.)

A good website is simple, loads quickly, and gives you good content right away. The thing I don't get about so many other websites is, a good website is easier to make than a bad one. How many websites have you looked at that have had intro animations and fancy layouts and java applications running in them and animated menus and everything, that probably took ages to get working properly? If you have good stuff to show the user, you can make a top-quality website with a bit of thought, some HTML-for-dummies-type tutorials, and a plain text editor.

The most important thing is content though, a website's only good when there's good stuff on it.

I reckon go with Wordpress and use a simple theme.

• Advertisement

rcaz wrote: »
    Check out Radiohead's website, one of the best band websites there is I think. Simple layout, easy to read, content straight up front, no loading screens, no fancy intro screens, no music that automatically starts playing when you load the page.

A good website is simple, loads quickly, and gives you good content right away. The thing I don't get about so many other websites is, a good website is easier to make than a bad one. How many websites have you looked at that have had intro animations and fancy layouts and java applications running in them and animated menus and everything, that probably took ages to get working properly? If you have good stuff to show the user, you can make a top-quality website with a bit of thought, some HTML-for-dummies-type tutorials, and a plain text editor.

The most important thing is content though, a website's only good when there's good stuff on it.

I reckon go with Wordpress and use a simple theme.

I found a way of embedding music/video on Wordpress, so I'm going to with that.

I completely agree on overcomplicated websites. **** the animations and ****loads of information. Just give me songs, videos and gigs. End of.

Just give me songs, videos and gigs. End of.

Well, not necessarily. The best bit about a band website is when the band themselves interact with it, and can share a little bit of something personal on there. Again with the Radiohead site, now and again the members will post a 10 track playlist of stuff they're listening to at that moment, which I think is some really cool fan interaction.

Contrast that with the websites that are obviously nothing to do with the band members themselves, where it's just a load of gig dates and "CLICK HERE TO BUY NOW" links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Something simple and uncomplicated. Doesn't need to be flashy. Contains all the info in one page. I am thinking maybe a Wordpress page with a registered domain, but they charge you more to embed video/audio, which is a shame.

Embedding video is trivial in WP.

All info on one page is not a good idea. The homepage should be the gateway with snappy snippets, linking to longer format content pages.

Dead right on the rest though: simple, no fancy crap like animations, excessive info (usually talking too much about yourself like a bad chat up technique) and definitely no auto-playing media.

WP should indeed do the trick.

gl

I split the information into a few pages, music, gigs, video, etc. The front page will be about interaction. Thanks for the advice.

Throw up a link here when you've got it together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

rcaz wrote: »
    Really simple stuff, bar the little bit of java to animate the buttons at the top.
    Just to be pedantic and completely off-topic, that's JavaScript, not Java.

Malice wrote: »
    Just to be pedantic and completely off-topic, that's JavaScript, not Java.

D'oh! I'm only starting to learn this stuff now, excuse my ignorance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't mind me :). By the sounds of it you already have the ability to recognise a good design unlike a lot of professional Web designers.

Advertisement