Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Feet In The Army.

Options
  • 05-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I just read an article about how the US army no-longer disqualify candidates from enlistment if they have fallen arches/flat feet.

Just purely out of curiosity, does anyone know if they let people with flat feet/fallen arches into the Irish Defence Forces. I couldn't find anything about it on military.ie so I read the cadetship booklet from 2011 and there's nothing in that either. I have heard of people not being aloud in because of having flat feet.

Do people still get rejected on that ground? Is it a disqualifying factor in recruitment competition medical tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

yes they do i went in for the medical when going for the navy although its not the army but it was the army medical officer that was doing it and i have flat feet but it isnt a prob i still can run walk have no probs with back or knees witch are common for ppl with fallan archs when in the medical he saw i had low archs and ask me a few simple questions about them ie back knees althoug he said that they wouldnt help with marchng but as iv said iv never had any probs with them after all this he signed me off fit hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

beco2010 wrote: »
    yes they do i went in for the medical when going for the navy although its not the army but it was the army medical officer that was doing it and i have flat feet but it isnt a prob i still can run walk have no probs with back or knees witch are common for ppl with fallan archs when in the medical he saw i had low archs and ask me a few simple questions about them ie back knees althoug he said that they wouldnt help with marchng but as iv said iv never had any probs with them after all this he signed me off fit hope this helps

Cool, thanks man.

I was wondering also because a guy I know actually wants to go for the army, he trains very hard and is fit as a fiddle but has feet like ducks haha. He asked me if I knew so I google'd it for him and found that article I mentioned above about the US military doing away with the no flat feet rule. So I said I'd ask here.

Edit: Was the medical in the military hospital in Dublin or did you do it down in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

i did it in cork there shouldnt be a prob as the medical is aftr the fitness test when i went to the army it was any way with the navy it was befor it but as i said if theres no prob with his back or knees or that he hasint been to doc about prob related to fallen archs he should be ok

Advertisement