Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I get insured in my mother's name?

Options
  • 03-06-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

At the moment I am driving a 1.4L Volkswagen Bora insured in my own name for €960. I'm 19 and have my full licence with 2 years. I had my full licence 1 year and I was 18 when getting that quote which was only so cheap because the company apparently made a mistake with the quote but had to honour it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to a more powerful car perhaps a 1.9tdi A4 or Passat. Insurance is very high for these in my own name, however people I know who have their own cars are telling me they are insured in their Mother's name and subsequently they have relatively cheap insurance.

How does one go about doing this and how is it even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't believe everything that others say as had all that years ago.

Insurance companies are not stupid and will know that the car is been insured this way as to save money as the younger driver will be main user.

Do you really need a 1.9 at the moment continue as is and keep your no claims rolling it will work in your favour in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Presuming that your ma isn't already insured on another car, you get her to ring up and get a quote with her as main driver and you as named driver. But you are thereby declaring that she's the one that will be driving the car most of the time. Which is presumably not going to be the case.

The insurance companies know what's going on but can't do much about it. However, if you ever had to claim they would go over everything with a fine comb to try to find an "out". Deliberately misrepresenting any material facts renders your policy void.

Edit: post crossed with punisher5112's, with which I have to agree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was recently getting quotes and in the end got a policy in my own name fairly reasonable but for the craic I went to get a quote onlind in my mothers name with me named and it was 500 euro dearer same company and all that they are not stupid they see young lads named with no other car and put two and two together. Your best just naming her to bring it down a bit that's about as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

How about a sticky on the whole fronting issue. These threads are getting more common.

Sadly there's no easy way out.. when you're 18, you pay silly insurance premiums, especially on anything over 1.4. Be glad it's not 2001, when my first insurance was 3400 on a 1.2 Clio...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

TrailerBob wrote: »
    How about a sticky on the whole fronting issue. These threads are getting more common.

Sadly there's no easy way out.. when you're 18, you pay silly insurance premiums, especially on anything over 1.4. Be glad it's not 2001, when my first insurance was 3400 on a 1.2 Clio...

Doesn't have to be 2001 I paid that last year on a Clio :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What you're looking for is to be named driver on your mother's policy. Couple of terms for this that if your insurance finds out about in the case of a crash or whatever could lead to big trouble for yourself and your mother; A: car supoosed to be registered in your mother's name as she is supposed to be the main driver B: generally she should not have a policy on another car unless it's declared, most companies don't allow multiple policies.

Companies are starting to cop on to this, it's known as fronting, and generally you don't save much for all the hassle. You also won't get a proper no claims bonus for yourself as you'll only be a names driver. Better off paying the extra few quid cause it'll pay off the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most insurance companies are wising up to this which is known as fronting. To counter act fronting they tend to load whoever the highest risk driver is on the policy irrespective of them being the policy holder or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You would be daft to put yourself as a named driver on a policy seeing as you already have your own started off. Continue to build on that and you will reap the rewards in the future. Named experience counts for very little, whereas if you have your own ncb built up, it'll stand to you. Either take the hit with insurance on an a4 in your own name, or get something less difficult to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RobertDowney15

Right thanks fellas, spose I'll just have to keep saving to pay for insurance that will be double the price of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Right thanks fellas, spose I'll just have to keep saving to pay for insurance that will be double the price of the car!

Get another couple of years and you will notice a big difference.
    We were all there sure I had to start in a micra and paid €3500 insurance third party 20 years old full licence and the micra was worth around €1900

• Advertisement
Advertisement