Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suit Fabrics

• 14-03-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am considering getting my wedding suits made abroad rather than renting. I do not want the normal wedding attire and want smart and stylish 3-piece suits.

I am looking to know about fabrics. I understand a suit made of 100% wool in excess of super 120s is a well made suit but there is a big difference on price across different sellers. Given its only for the one day I do not particularly care what a suit is made of as long as I like it.

Can someone with knowledge in the area give me a run down on suit fabrics?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do you wear a suit regularly?

If yes then your wedding suit should not be for just one day, you should be able to use it for work afterwards.

If you never wear suits and this will genuinely be just for one day I'd suggest you just hire one. Or check out the autograph range in m&s if you really want to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭usher1890

amdublin wrote: »

If yes then your wedding suit should not be for just one day, you should be able to use it for work afterwards.

If you never wear suits and this will genuinely be just for one day I'd suggest you just hire one. Or check out the autograph range in m&s if you really want to buy one.

At the cost of getting them made abroad it would be the same as renting. I do not wear suits often but would use it again for different events etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I think you're probably better asking this question in Gentlemen's Club or in one of the fashion forums. It's more of a fashion/clothes question than a wedding question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi OP, which websites have you been looking to order from?

If you want to be safe in terms of final quality, then I'd recommend using one of the more well known places - Suit Supply, Black Lapel, Indochino. You'll find tons of reviews of their suits online. (note I've never used any of them).

However you won't necessarily save that much money over going into a quality place in Dublin. OK It won't be "made to measure" but by trying a few different suits on and with some good tailoring, you'll at least have more control over what the final result will look like.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Hi OP, which websites have you been looking to order from?

If you want to be safe in terms of final quality, then I'd recommend using one of the more well known places - Suit Supply, Black Lapel, Indochino. You'll find tons of reviews of their suits online. (note I've never used any of them).

However you won't necessarily save that much money over going into a quality place in Dublin. OK It won't be "made to measure" but by trying a few different suits on and with some good tailoring, you'll at least have more control over what the final result will look like.

I've bought from tailor4less before and got a great 3-piece suit from them. I have tried whatever I have seen in google and dare I say it I am looking at dhgate / aliexpress and checking reviews to see if there are any trusted suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP if you'd prefer me to move this to another forum, just let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

amdublin wrote: »

Terrible advice. OP - you've a lot of options, but this isn't the right place. You're better off asking in the Fashion & Appearance forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Terrible advice. OP - you've a lot of options...

Can you give some advice?

Can you outline the "lots of options" for the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TracyWills

if you know you will use that suit again then buy a well made suit. its your wedding day you should wear a special one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

my oh bought a really gorgeous dark blue tweed three piece suit in magee. just the jacket with jeans and a t shirt looks so stylish and he'll get loads of wear out of it. cost 500 and a good investment in my opinion if your going to wear it again. It's one time in your life you can really justify buying yourself a special suit!

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    OP if you'd prefer me to move this to another forum, just let me know.

Hi

Yes if you don't mind

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved from Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnership.

Posters please note that the charter for The Gentlemen's Club forum now applies to the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My preferred fabric is a cashmere wool blend (60:40). It looks smart and give a bit of durability. That said I wear suits everyday so maybe if you just want a one off you could go for a wool polyester mix.
    If you really want to splash out go for a silk based fabric. I did that for my wedding suit and I looked fabulous ;)

Advertisement