Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY+HD box

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I've had basic sky for ages. Got a letter this morning offering a free SKY+ HD box (installation fee €40). I'm not certain if this is a bargain or not. The terms and conditions aren't very clear. Not entirely sure if you have to pay extra for a SKY HD package. I'm sure others got this letter so it would be great if someone could confirm what this offer is. It's definitely different to the previous introduce a friend offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Its just under €15 a month for the HD subscription pack

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sky dont do "free"

To get the sky+ HD box you will have to agree to pay almost €15 per month for a minimum contract period of 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

muffler wrote: »
    Sky dont do "free"

To get the sky+ HD box you will have to agree to pay almost €15 per month for a minimum contract period of 12 months.

Is it possible to get a SKY+ box without the HD option?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Read the small print on that offer very very closely. Is that offer for new or existing customers, are you a standard install etc?

All these add moolah to the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sunnyside wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a SKY+ box without the HD option?

Yes, but you'll probably have to pay for the box.

• Advertisement

Read the small print on that offer very very closely. Is that offer for new or existing customers, are you a standard install etc?

Probably for existing customers because it was in an envelope addressed to me as opposed to a flyer.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Yes, but you'll probably have to pay for the box.

Does anyone know how much it would cost? There is no way way I'm contacting the SKY call centre with these questions. Last time I called them about something really simple I was on the phone for 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Prob be about €149-€199 for the Sky+ on it's own I'd say!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Prob be about €149-€199 for the Sky+ on it's own I'd say!

€15x12=€180 + €40 installation=€220. So it is a bargain compared with the upfront price of the box.

I'm still not quite sure if this is a a bargain alert or not:confused: I expect others will post about the same thing but feel free to lock if mods consider it inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a BA I'd reckon..

I'll move it to Satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

€15x12=€180 + €40 installation=€220. So it is a bargain compared with the upfront price of the box.

I'm still not quite sure if this is a a bargain alert or not:confused: I expect others will post about the same thing but feel free to lock if mods consider it inappropriate.

It's a good enough bargain for someone who actually wants HD. Depends on how much you value it I guess. Some people don't think so. I love it and would not go back to Sky+ or STD.

To get the best from it make sure your TV is HD Ready or full HD.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how much it would cost? There is no way way I'm contacting the SKY call centre with these questions. Last time I called them about something really simple I was on the phone for 30 mins.
    First of all you can keep an eye out for threads on Sky offers here in the satellite forum.

Have a look at the Adverts.ie site as there does be a few for sale.

Search ebay where you will find lots for sale.

Contact a bricks and mortar shop and you may get your hands on one.

There is no extra sub for a sky+ box so all you have to do is get your own box and then contact Sky to have your card paired with the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

It's for new and existing customers, but you also need to take out Sky Movies + HD (along with the €15 also)

so your subscription will be about €55, and it stay's like that for a minimum of 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If it's the same leaflet that just fell out of the Irish Times, it's a bit contradictory.

The front page says "for new and existing customers joining Sky+ HD with Sky Movies".
    The 3rd line of small print inside says "not available to previous or existing Sky TV subscribers". :confused:

Further down it says outside the offer, Sky+HD box costs 49 with the HD pack (€15/month) and if you sign up for 12 months, or up to €199 otherwise.

On the website, it says SkyHD+ normally costs 14.75/m. It also puts the offer price at 49.75/month (as opposed to the 51 on the leaflet) but this is going up in January "due to VAT change"?? :confused:

Just saw it advertised on tv, it's €51 a month. Really expensive unless you genuienly want sky movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

MOH wrote: »

but this is going up in January "due to VAT change"?? :confused:

UK VAT was reduced from 17.5% to 15% at the last budget. It reverts back to 17.5% in January 2010. Yes - we do pay UK not Irish VAT on the SKY service:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 brenny2506

fat-tony wrote: »
    UK VAT was reduced from 17.5% to 15% at the last budget. It reverts back to 17.5% in January 2010. Yes - we do pay UK not Irish VAT on the SKY service:rolleyes:

Were Sky prices reduced during last UK budget pro rata to reduction in VAT rate, I don't remenber my Sky subscription being reduced

Maybe I am wrong

brenny2506 wrote: »
    Were Sky prices reduced during last UK budget pro rata to reduction in VAT rate,
    Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

yes they were. linkie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

Wizard007 wrote: »
    To get the best from it make sure your TV is HD Ready or full HD.

No need for a full HD TV...

No channels (what I'm aware of) broadcast in 1080p but at 1080i, and the Sky+HD is not a 1080p box but 1080i/720p.

That said I take it most TV's are full HD anyway these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

HD Ready or Full HD :)

John mac wrote: »
    yes they were. linkie
    I stand corrected :o

Advertisement