Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you know when to change oil etc?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Driving a 2002 Diesel Toyota Avensis. Have done close to 10k miles on it since i got it. How do i know when/if i need to change oil or add water etc?

Is there anything else that i should be doing to keep it running soundly?

Thanks Guys! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I change my oil every 6,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. Just a habit I got myself into doing.

You could also consult your owner's handbook for the recommended service intervals for your car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check the manual, and err on the side of caution if you wish. My manual says 12000 or 20000 with their own-brand and uberpricey oil, but the stealers convinced the first owners to go on a 9000 interval and I still do this (myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I drive a diesel primera

change oil, oil filter, fuel filter, & air filter every 10K miles.

195 K miles on clock at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

The way you would know is when you change your oil it would be almost invisible, basically it would look like honey and approximately after 10K miles or more it would become more and more black and when it becomes really black thats when you should change your oil. Although it is not recommended to wait that long.

I service my car every 6K miles and every 12 K miles i would change spark plugs and fuel filter and air filter (full service). I just serviced my car yesterday and i ll do it again in 6 K miles time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

doh!

Seems i needto do a few things for it.

Can all these things be changed myself? Oil if i remember correct is just poring in some new oil? Maybe i need to drain the old oil into a bucket also.

Can i change the spark plugs? And do i need to buy special spark plugs?

Now changing fuel and air filters sounds like a tricky operation. Anybody able to give some tips about doing this, cant afford to get an expensive service.

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Woody_FX wrote: »
    doh!

Can all these things be changed myself? Oil if i remember correct is just poring in some new oil? Maybe i need to drain the old oil into a bucket also.

Now changing fuel and air filters sounds like a tricky operation. Anybody able to give some tips about doing this, cant afford to get an expensive service.

Diesels don't have spark plugs dude. Old oil and filter must be removed too.

None of the service tasks you've mentioned above are that difficult, but you need to know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Woody_FX wrote: »
    doh!

All of these tasks are really quite easy, once you have an idea where to start. (except possibly the spark plugs, depending on the layout of the engine)

My advice, as a starting point, go to halfords/amazon and get the Haynes Manual relevant to your car. That will describe and illustrate the basic (and more advanced) maintenance tasks in better detail than we can. It will also give you a realistic idea of what maintenance should be done at what time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bobo78 wrote: »
    when it becomes really black thats when you should change your oil.

just to note that on an older diesel engine the oil may appear black after only a few days, even though it's new.

changing after so many miles / at least once a year is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oil can turn black from a rinse so I wouldn't judge the basis of an oil change on that. Oil should be changed every service with air, fuel (diesel) and sparks (petrol) changed every second service. The intervals is all about budget and personal choice. I definitely wouldn't do it any less than 6000Miles (10000 kms) or 6months. 10000miles seems to be a fairly average interval and will cover all the bases.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Air filters usually involves undoing a few screws (or two clips), yoinking out the old pone and putitng in the new one.

Problem with Haynes manuals is very few recent cars have one, and usually they don't cover diesel engines either.

• Advertisement

Bentely manuals are supposed to be quite good also.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

every car i have owned in the past was done at 6000 miles, that included, oil, oil filter, didnt need air filter as it had an induction system and didnt need plugs as they were irridium, buit that was on the likes of Integra Type R, Evo 5. on my current car, a D4D Avensis it will be oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter every 10000 miles

Advertisement