Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Representation

Options
  • 02-07-2014 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the movie?

I sat down to watch it on Netflix last night but after 20 minutes if hearing about how women are portrayed wrong the media because of a 'male ideal' I turned it off.

I thought it was anti male and it got my back up. I'm going to give it another shot tonight and give it a go because the website says:

"we couldn’t move toward real cultural change without also exposing and challenging the damaging masculinity narrative that is fed to our boys and men."

http://therepresentationproject.org/films/miss-representation/

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Must check it out myself, though given how they set their stall, I strongly suspect the "damaging masculinity narrative" is any version of masculinity that doesn't agree with their central tenet and worldview.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Theres a lot about gender quotas and even a quote from a lady who states that a board which has all male members can never make a right decision because they don't get a female perspective!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Theres a lot about gender quotas and even a quote from a lady who states that a board which has all male members can never make a right decision because they don't get a female perspective!

Feminist propaganda. Ignore it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cringe.

I think there's substance to the claim that diverse boards can be better decision makers, whether that diversity is via gender, race or other. Sensationalist claims like the above though do nothing for any attempt to increase gender balance, and probably has a negative net effect. Would you really want to have a person that comes out with comments like that making big decisions for a company that you've invested in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Leaving aside the diversity element in decision making, which I'd disagree with the more wider claims for benefits, in regard feminist writings - this might be regarded as more on the fringe. Commonly the more fringe texts do harp on about white male privileges and how easy it is for male office workers/powerbrokers, there are more moderate elements who would seek a more moderate balancing of representation but not to the total exclusion of all but token men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Read the synopsis on their site (at work so can't watch the movie, and based on the arguments in the synopsis, wouldn't anyway) and it's main focus seems to be on the media being "the most persuasive force shaping cultural norms".

Even if you don't question that hypothesis: who writes, edits, publishes and buys women's magazines?

From the "high-end" Vogue, Comso etc. that make claims to to the trashier celebrity gossip / true stories supermarket fare, I'd be very surprised if any of them have much male involvement in their production beyond the physical printing itself.

This branch of the feminist movement seems to conveniently ignores that it's other women that place the media's value of a woman on their youth, appearance and sexuality. They're so used to seeing gender politics as a zero-sum game that they have to find some way to blame men for all problems that they face and, in my opinion, represent the greatest obstacle to equality in the developed world.

tl/dr, a movie for morons made by ivory-tower gender studies graduates being given too much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

A striking fact about the movie's creator is that she was abused as a child and ran into a spiral of eating disorders and self hatred afterwards. Yes it was a male abuser, but I don't know how she managed to link her own horrible experiences to the media, governments etc etc being anti women.

Here's the movie trailer

Advertisement