Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird Watching

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Yep - many more species regular in Britain than Ireland. A quick browse of the maps on rspb a-z (http://rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/a/index.asp) will help reveal all.

woodpeckers, tits, game birds, hawk, owls, even crow family has more member species regular there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Had a walk on Howth Head today and saw a good variety. Here's the list

Guillemot
    Black Guillemot
    Razorbill
    Gannet
    Fulmar
    Lesser Black backed gull
    Greater BB Gull
    Herring Gull
    Black Headed Gull
    Kittiwake
    Stonechat
    Linnet
    Wren
    Blackbird
    Whitethroat
    Sedge Warbler
    Meadow Pipit
    Rock Pipit
    Swift
    Swallow
    House Martin
    Pheasant
    Hooded Crow
    Jackdaw
    Rook
    House Sparrow

A nice day out and to be honest i wasn't doing much birdwatching. Great seeing the whitethroat about in good numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mysteriousvee

A-Z directory of UK birds. - Your right, this is a great site thanks for the tip. Maybe now I will be able to figure out the difference between a great/coal/blue/willow tit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jolyn

Anyone seen a buzzard lately?
    Saw one perched on a Tree in Rathangan Kildare Sunday before Xmas a pair have nested nearby over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There's a competition running through tv3's The Morning Show, viewers to send in pictures of birds in the garden. There's some really nice pictures up there, although I haven't quite managed to get through them all. They're posted in albums on the facebook page. Link: http://www.facebook.com/tv3morningshow

If anyone just wants to have a look, or add to them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thewildlife

Anyone seen a buzzard lately?
    Check out www.biology.ie to see. They are all there on the maps. Amazing Irish wildlife site. Line none of the others! Has real time info on the distribution of species.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Regular visitors to this neck of the woods, (Wicklow) I think there is a pair of them nesting close by as they seem to be in the same place early in the morning and quite late in the evening, great to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

For update on rare bird sighting in Ireland:
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web
    For anybody interested in twitching in Ireland this is the best site

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Heard a woodpecker in my garden yesterday in a pine tree, today I seen two young birds sitting side by side very high up in the same tree, I think (hope) they are woodpeckers too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

matsy1 wrote: »
    Heard a woodpecker in my garden yesterday in a pine tree, today I seen two young birds sitting side by side very high up in the same tree, I think (hope) they are woodpeckers too..
    Is this in County Wicklow?

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Is this in County Wicklow?

No, its in Sutton, Dublin 13...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

No, its in Sutton, Dublin 13...

Not many reports of sightings of Great Spotted Woodpeckers from Dublin but there was one reported in the Howth area on the 16th March 2009 according to www.irishbirding.com :)

Not many reports of sightings of Great Spotted Woodpeckers from Dublin but there was one reported in the Howth area on the 16th March 2009 according to www.irishbirding.com :)

I definitely heard one hammering away on Sunday in the pine tree. Not sure about the young birds, there is a nest of crows up there too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I definitely heard one hammering away on Sunday in the pine tree. Not sure about the young birds, there is a nest of crows up there too..
    Get a photo and post it up..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There was a pair in my relation's back garden on Strand Road, Sutton a few (2/3) years ago. Also some around Deer Park last year.

Advertisement