Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Problem

Options
  • 13-06-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I've a problem with a Blackbird that's nested in my baler. The chicks are hatched and are quite strong and well feathered.
    The trouble is I have to bale hay this week and can't leave the nest in the machine.
    Is it possible to move the nest without the parents deserting it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Well feathered may well mean they'll fledge sooner than later.

Are you able to do any of the servicing of baler in situ, or do you need to get the baler out now to get any pre season checks done?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭signinlate

I moved the baler eight days ago to service it, that is how I found the nest. The chicks looked like they were just hatched at that stage. When I saw the nest I put the baler back to where it was parked and the parents returned to the nest.

I have to go baling tomorrow.

PS When I pulled out the baler the first thing I did was run it, I only saw the nest after and was amazed it had survived as it is sitting on a chain.

Its a horrible dilemma. I had a blackbird nest on a combine harvester. I had machine out of shed with for pre season maintenance, ran it at full blast before seeing nest with eggs. I was fortunate in being able to leave combine with nest in situ until the 4 nestlings fledged.

You don't have this luck
    so in the absence of informed replies, here what I would do myself.
    I would try move the nest so that it'll be in similar position (height and placement relative to shed, assuming in shed), trying to replicate a similar environment. I would try use a shovel rather than moving by hand.
    With strong chicks, I doubt they would be abandoned. If the nestling s are within a day of fledging they may scatter from nest and flounder on ground for a day or so.
    when to move nest, ie day ot night? I've no idea

cue more knowledgeable folk with more informed replies....

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

wait until the adult bird has gone then move the baler away ,place the nest in the same area same height etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Here's something that might help.

"The chicks are ready to fledge at 13-14 days, but if the nest is disturbed, they can leave and survive as early as nine days old. This ability to fledge early is an important anti-predator adaptation. The young birds creep and flutter from the nest, and remain in nearby cover for the following few days."

From: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blackbird/nesting.aspx

• Advertisement

Whenever you have moment I wouldn't mind hearing an update

Advertisement