Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestwatch - Blue Tit Cam

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

One left

All gone. The last guy, the smallest seemed to take the least time out of them all to decide to make the jump.

Great that all seven survived this far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

All gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

that was so cool - watched last 4. thanks for the reminder.

I will miss them. It was REAL reality TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm delighted to have seen them all go. The first one was hanging out of the hole for ages while the rest were sleeping. He hopped down and said something to the others :pac: who completely ignored him and then he hopped back up for a minute, sat still looking out for ages and then flew off. As soon as he was out the other little heads popped up and the nest was a hive of activity and excitement til 2 and 3 went. The others had little rest then but once they set their minds to it they popped out quickly. All 7 gone over 45ish minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

that was fantastic!My class of Senior Infants and I were watching it all morning on our white board- they gave a huge cheer when the last one left!I was delighted the birds waited until this morning so the children could watch it at school. LIke another poster said, this is real reality tv-on of the children in my class said-can we watch another bird now!!Hopefully it will even better next year with sound and maybe a camera outside the nest box.Well done RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

So what happens now. Will they all go their seperate ways or try to stay together? Are they now completely weaned and have to get their own food? Finally, will they revisit the box at all?

ThunderCat wrote: »
    So what happens now. Will they all go their seperate ways or try to stay together? Are they now completely weaned and have to get their own food? Finally, will they revisit the box at all?

They will stay together as a loose group for a little bit, bar any member who gets lost, and the parents will feed them for a bit longer, anything from ten to 25 days. After that all that have still survived are on their own.

They won't be returning to the box, but if the two parent birds survive until the next breeding season( or if they had a second batch, something that is not too common over here in Ireland) then they will use the box again next year.

The surviving young will then go on to live somewhere within a few miles of where they were born, and generally don't travel further than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Aww I missed the whole thing! Will RTE show us it again?

• Advertisement

The Paws wrote: »

Doubt it. There was never a replay of the robins leaving the nest from the other nestbox and would imagine that the same will apply here.

I reckon your only hope is if somebody who was watching it, recorded it to their pc and puts it on Youtube or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭swimforever

The Paws wrote: »

I have my computer recording at home so it should have caught it, I'll edit it later and post it if it did. Fingers crossed that it did because I missed it too-I'd only left home about 5 minutes when they finally decided to go for it!

I'm really surprised that RTE don't seem to capture photo and video from it since so many people seem to be tuned in to it this year and it's so easy to miss the really interesting bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Swimforever, I'd love to know how you were able to do that. Could you PM me? I had my primary school class watching this morning and it was great for them all to see the chicks fledging.

If I knew how to record it, I could use that every so often with other classes!

Thanks #72 &#73

Fingers and paws x! How you can record stuff from laptop??

I got some of it on video, missed the first two but got the rest. I'm in the process of splitting it up into smaller segments now so that I can upload to youtube. Unfortunately the quality isn't great because I was leaving it recording all day while I was at college so if it was high quality it would have been a huge file by the end of the day!
    Trotter wrote: »
    Swimforever, I'd love to know how you were able to do that. Could you PM me? I had my primary school class watching this morning and it was great for them all to see the chicks fledging.

If I knew how to record it, I could use that every so often with other classes!

I was going to PM you but then The Paws asked too so I figured I'd just post publicly instead...

I was thinking a few days ago about how to record video from a webcam because I figured that it was likely that something would happen on it when I was gone! I only saw the last robin going so I really didn't want to miss these too. I just searched the internet for a free recorder and found one called Cam Studio. It's easy to use, you just press the record button and put it where you want on your screen and it records whatever's on that part of the screen. So it's not actually recording the video directly, it's just recording whatever's on the screen. So it means that you can't open any windows over it then while you're taping because they will be taped instead. This wasn't an issue for me since I only wanted to tape when I wasn't around to watch anyway. I'm sure there are recorders out there that will record directly from webcam too but I just didn't feel like searching, once I found something that worked easily and quickly and was free I was happy enough!

I'll post the videos up here when they're finished, it probably won't be until tomorrow evening though because I need to cut out the chunks in between the action! And I don't have time to finish it now, I'll get back to it when I get home from college tomorrow...

Great stuff. Thanks a lot!
    I got in touch with RTÉ today to suggest an iPhone app next year.
    I'd love to watch the nest on the phone!

Trotter wrote: »
    I got in touch with RTÉ today to suggest an iPhone app next year.
    I'd love to watch the nest on the phone!

That's a great idea! I'm sure they could make some money out of it with advertising too like they do on the site so it would be worth them going to the effort of putting it together.

I've got two videos, here's the first one which is the 3rd chick fledging: first video. I tried to embed it but it didn't work, I don't know what I'm doing wrong there but it doesn't matter really anyway.
    The other one is currently compiling but that'll take a while because it's lots of shorter clips linked together so I'll post that too when it's finished, probably tomorrow morning.

Second video is here: second video. This shows the last four fledging (with the bits in the middle cut out). Again apologies for the not-so-great quality and also for the cursor in the middle of the screen...thought I'd moved it off the video part of the screen but I guess I must have hit the mouse again before I left!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

My 9 chicks left the nest box yesterday between 6:30 and 7:30. I missed it as I was travelling. Aw well, I hope they're enjoying life.

Thanks a million Swimforever!
    It is so sweet to see them going off to their big new world! So sad!!:o

Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff :)

Advertisement