Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel corsa, brake pads and discs.

• 18-07-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ive been quoted 220 to replace the brake pads and brake discs on the two front wheels on an opel corsa 04. The price covers parts labour fitting etc. is this a bit expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

joxxer wrote: »
    Ive been quoted 220 to replace the brake pads and brake discs on the two front wheels on an opel corsa 04. The price covers parts labour fitting etc. is this a bit expensive?

Seems about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

100 for the parts, and 120 for labour? 40@3 hrs?
    Vented discs are €77/pr on mister auto and the pads are €30.
    Non vented are cheaper again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you really need to replace the discs too?
    Some shops will try to increase sale by trying to get you to replace them too (I've even heard about a place that was trying to get people to change caliper too at every change lol).

If the discs are worn there will be a lip on the outer rim (check both inside and outside) that you can feel with your fingers. If this lip isn't there I'd go somewhere else for a second opinion.

worndisc.jpg

Pads for two wheels would cost less than 50 euro depending on brand. And you can change them yourself, or have a mate help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

biko wrote: »
    If the discs are worn there will be a lip on the outer rim (check both inside and outside) that you can feel with your fingers. If this lip isn't there I'd go somewhere else for a second opinion.

If the discs are worn then they will be below the manufacturers recommended minimum thickness. If you are in doubt ask the garage for the measurements. A lip "that you can feel with your fingers" is hardly a very reliable way of determining if your brake discs are within spec :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

... A lip "that you can feel with your fingers" is hardly a very reliable way of determining if your brake discs are within spec :pac:

I totally agree, but in fairness you have to remember that he is trying to explain to someone who seems to know little about the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 davidholla

its a joke of a car

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I totally agree, but in fairness you have to remember that he is trying to explain to someone who seems to know little about the subject.

I understand that but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Lets assume for the moment that the garage is doing their job properly and the discs are worn below the minimum thickness. The OP comes along here to ask about the price (a bit on the high side incidentally, sounds like a main dealer price)

They get told that their discs are fine unless they can feel a lip with their finger. They can't feel any lip so therefore they think the garage was trying to rip them off.

That's not a good situation for anybody. That is why I think it is better to ask the garage for the measurements if you are in doubt. If they have nothing to hide then they will tell you readily, if they won't give them to you or try to avoid the question then you know they were trying to pull a fast one.

They get told that their discs are fine unless they can feel a lip with their finger. They can't feel any lip so therefore they think the garage was trying to rip them off.

That's not a good situation for anybody. That is why I think it is better to ask the garage for the measurements if you are in doubt. If they have nothing to hide then they will tell you readily, if they won't give them to you or try to avoid the question then you know they were trying to pull a fast one.
    Hence the second sentence in my post.

OP, if you trust the mechanic then go ahead and do what they think is best.

biko wrote: »
    Hence the second sentence in my post.

I think it would be better to ask the garage for their reason for wanting to change the discs. Surely that is a better way of approaching the issue rather than taking the car elsewhere for a second opinion?

Aye indeed, that would be best. Perhaps there was a lot of lip or perhaps they measured the disc.

It kinda depends on where OP got their quote, was it an indy or a fastfit crowd etc. In my view an indy would be more inclined to not change any unnecessary parts to keep custom whereas someone else might try to oversell "sure, these discs should be changed at some point anyway, might as well be me.."

On the other hand the mech isn't always choosing the cheapest option. I've been told to I had to get a sticky caliper replaced for 70 euro, instead I fixed it myself for nothing.

If pads/discs indeed needs replacing 220 isn't a bad price. With some knowledge and an hour to spare OP could do it DIY for half that (we're in the DIY forum after all :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I think I'm becoming sorry for starting this because it could turn into a row over nothing. I think we all agree that if the disc is worn it will have a lip on the edge, and we all agree it would be better to measure the disc thickness rather than try to judge the lip thickness. The only question then is what to say to the OP!

Advertisement