Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MENTIONED ON EUROSPORT: Séan Kelly, Tourmalet centenary

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Harmon brought up another speed record that Kelly recorded - can't rem the name of the descent but he got Kelly talking about it. Apparently it is a very fast descent and riders regularly hit 100Kmph on it .
    "They took a lot of risks on the way down that day" according to Kelly - he hit 124 Kmph !! :eek:

Heard that too! Thought I was going good with a top speed of 115km/h down the Kühtai in Tirol a few years ago. Man, was I eating my heart out when I heard my childhood idol clocked 124km/h! New target set: 125km/h or more! Think the Peyresourde can be expecting a visit from me in the future!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yup:

37838_449996020933_763205933_6222741_7774424_n.jpg

Fine erection he has too! :D

niceonetom wrote: »
    The 124kph was on the Peyresourde.

Just found confirmation of what I heard on Eurosport yesterday: Sean Kelly achieved his fastest speed, 124 km/h in the decent from Joux Plane to Morzine (link to article)
    I'm sure he wasn't far off that speed down the Peyresourde though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pierredieterle

Hi,

I first met Sean in 1977, in Besançon, where lived my uncle Jean de Gribaldy. Sean is a faithful friend, unpretentious.

See my modest website about Jean de Gribaldy

http://www.jeandegribaldy.com

Best from France.

I first met Sean in 1977, in Besançon, where lived my uncle Jean de Gribaldy. Sean is a faithful friend, unpretentious.

See my modest website about Jean de Gribaldy

http://www.jeandegribaldy.com

Great site! Thanks for posting the link. :)

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Great site pierredieterle merci beaucoup, and some great photos. We owe Jean De Gribaldi a big thank you for introducing Mr Kelly to the world of professional cycling.
    Haven't seen this photo before. Brilliant. His first Classic win at Lombardy 1993, cometh the man! LeMond and Moser look worried:)

Is this photo, where he is seen beating his arch rival Vanderarden, the stage in Tour where both were disqualified for fighting as they sprinted for the line. I think it was into Pau or Bordeaux?
    132380.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

A big thank you to the Crunch! Some terrific photos from your partner whom I met at Bohermeen this year. Love the shots of Miguel. I missed this post first time around. Hope the season went well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Even brought a bicycle pump just in case !!! Great thread folks. Must say if it weren't for Sean kelly i would never have sat on a bike, growing up and following his exploits was how i first got started.
    I remember reading an article by Robert millar once in cycle sport i think, anyway he relayed a story of how one day he was reluctant to go on a training run in an appauling day near his home in Scotland.
    He thought for a second and knew deep down that Sean kelly would be out doing his stuff no matter what the weather was so off Mr millar went.
    Just shows us mere mortals how highly regarded Sean kelly was by his fellow pro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Big mig competing in Triathlons these days.

Thanks for your very nice comments. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

sy wrote: »
    A big thank you to the Crunch! Some terrific photos from your partner whom I met at Bohermeen this year. Love the shots of Miguel. I missed this post first time around. Hope the season went well for you

Cheers Sy, that was a great day. Excellent memories. I think those Big Mig shots are mega especially as, while Georgie was taking them, all his family were chatting with each other and he spent quite a lot of time sitting quietly, looking out the window at the Tourmalet below. I would have given more than a few pesetas for those thoughts. Maybe he was trying to remember if he left the gas on at home but I like to think he was recalling past battles on the hill.

The shots of Fignon are poignant, too. He looked well but his voice ws just a whisper. It was great to see himself and Hinault in such animated debate about God knows what while there was such a hubub around them.

Advertisement