Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light switch

Options
  • 10-05-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, the light switch mechanism has busted on one of the small 12V swivel lights in my motorhome. The light is part of a matching set, so don't want to have to replace it. Can I just get the small block that controls the switching, which has the switch built on top of it? Have a look at the pictures.....

avq7t3.jpginde9u.jpg

I've seen that you can buy little switches easily on ebay, but haven't seen one where the switch is built into the white block thing also
    In the photo, you can see that I've opened up the little white box a bit, it would normally be sitting flush
    thanks a mil

Comments

Anything with the correct current and voltage rating would do, or you could bypass that switch and wire the light parallel to it's partner.
    I wouldn't worry about finding an exact replacement..anything with the same diameter for the hole and appropriate clearance at the back will work.
    2_way_rocker_switch_on_on_round_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I wouldn't worry about finding an exact replacement..anything with the same diameter for the hole and appropriate clearance at the back will work.

Thanks, yeah I was just looking at those ones on ebay. They seem like the obvious replacement alright. The hole diameter on my lamp is 18mm - however all those types of switches say 20mm hole diameter on the ads. Do you reckon they still might fit? You'd reckon that the hole in the lamp is a standard type to work with these fixtures.

You can always make the hole bigger.

Universal drill bit?
    719510_1336743001_z.jpg

Is that a ceramic switch? The old one? Maybe it needs to be high temp....or LED time. What's the bulb? >20w?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I could see that drill bit going horribly wrong, warping up the lamp base :)

No, plastic switch - the lamp has 20W bulbs, and I recently replaced them with LED's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

18mm to 20mm is nothing mark it with a pencil and use a round file, the switch bezel will cover it so it doesn't even have to be that neat. You'll probably find you only have to file 1mm where the clips are and that the rest will fit in 18mm.

Advertisement