Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound egineering

Options
  • 20-12-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hey all,
    was wondering how do i get into sound engineering like setting up live gigs, recording in studio, etc.
    i'm 16 and i think this is the career i want to get into. i'm located in cavan nd was in music man and i was talkin to the guy who was working there, (not brendan) and he sed that theres a load of studios in cavan nd that not many people know of them and was wonderin if yous know of any in cavan or close by that i could maybe get some experience in?

if any of yous have any knowledge in this area please let me know

tanx
    keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

The only way to make in the sound engineering field (no matter what people tell you), is to be good at it. If your good, you will always get work. You start with small bands and work your way up. Courses in sound engineering help with the practical knowlegde, but I dont think anyone actually cares the actual piece of paper at the end of the day.

Never heard of any highly rated studios in cavan, but im sure there are some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PRE_10_DER

best off trying to do a sound engineering course. there's pretty good ones like pulse, temple bar music centre,, and you're probably at a good age to think about doing sound engineering in Ballyfermot College.. But BEWARE, if you want to go to that college,, you cannot go to an interview and just say 'oh i want to be a producer' cos they will laugh in your face(behind you back:D)..

If you have a pc and win98 you can download a free version of pro tools.. if you don't know what pro tools is then YOU'RE IN TROUBLE:D.. ah i'm only messin.. Just try and do a course.. pulse will have courses over the summer that will go through the basics, and they'll start a part time course in september(every sat).. But this isn't easy for you as you're in Cavan... but do it if you can and start savin some money for some software etc.. do you play an instrument? if not then start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Definitely, definitely do a course, either Ballyfermot, Pulse or TBMC, these days you'll be up against people who not only know the difference between condenser and dynamic mics, they'll have experience of different models of each and know how to use them. They'll know how to use compressors properly, not many people do even though they think they do, they'll know about phasing, about auxiliaries and sends, about normalled inputs and direct outputs. A studio or live venue isn't going to pay you while you learn anymore, there are too many people with some experience and practical knowledge who'll work for free and that's what you're up against.

Listen to as many different types of music as you can. Really listen. Listen to how different types of music are constructed, how they're mixed, how they use different frequency bands. Especially listen to music types you don't like (you'll be basically familiar with how your own favoured music is made). You're young and time is on your side. Buy as good a set of speakers as you can and start to train your ears. Learn what different frequencies sound like (it takes years but is invaluable) - if you listen to mp3's delete them all. They sound ****. Listen to well recorded music on as high a quality sound system as you can.

Once you have a bit of theory and practical experience offer to work for free in any studio or live venue you can practically commute to. Be prepared now to work on every type of music you despise, be it boy bands or country and western, you will have to work on it some day and you'll be expected to know how to record and mix it appropriately. It's a **** load of work and there are sod all jobs, even though there are thousands of people who'd like to work as an engineer/producer. So you have to stand out among the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I'm 100% with the Doc on this one.

Fyi, BCFE Music Technology (2yr) is the widest course and the only with a qualification worth anything (still worthless in the music bus, but you can carry it on for an extra year and get a degree in "Media"), TBMC Sound Training (1yr) seems to include more practical live experience. You meet lots of bands and people either way.

Don't know much about Pulse or Kylemore, but I think the above are better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

tanx for the info guys,
    do yous know off any site that info in frequencys, dynamic mics, auxiliares etc?
    i play elec guitar btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One place worth spending time is www.harmonycentral.com

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

what do yous make of future music mag? i got it there 2 day. havent really got a chance to look at it yet bout wats your views on it? help it help with info needed 4 sound engineerin? or is there a better mag or wat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have'nt read Future Music but I do get the ocasional Sound on Sound which I'd recommend as a good one shop info shop. The website is here and the technique articles start here here

Plug!
    You can read what they said about some of my music here Plug over! :D

Mike.

Advertisement