Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Static on Jazzmaster ?

• 02-04-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hey there. Long time no see.
    I'd love someone's expert advice on this - I'm having a very strange time with my jazzmaster of late. It seems to have static noise coming from it. Let me explain.

I was in studio a while back and all of a sudden, while recording a guitar-picking take, a very subtle but noticeable static noise started happening. Because we weren't sure where the noise was coming from, we spent a good bit of time trying to figure it out, trying different cables and plugging straight into the daw, but the static was still there. It seemed that the static was coming from the back of the guitar.

I brought the guitar for someone to have a look. He kept it for a few days, opened it up, had a good look inside and tightened the jack input and when i went to pick the guitar up, I was told there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Surprised but content, i bring the guitar home and to my disbelief, as soon as i plug the guitar in, the static starts! I curse a good while thinking maybe the guy never opened the guitar to have a proper look, and decide to bring the guitar to someone else the same day.

When I arrive to the other guy, I explain the situation: there is static when I play the guitar through my amp, i have tried other cables and still get the noise. I have also plugged other guitars in my amp and am not getting static problems so I don't think it's the amp; the static noise also happens anyway when the guitar is plugged straight into a daw.

The guy hands me a cable and turns his amp on. I plug the guitar in and lo and behold, no static noise whatsoever! I move the guitar around, tap it on the back, and then realize that maybe the other dude I brought the guitar to before couldn't see any problem with it either but I decide to leave the guitar there anyway for the guy to try it out and maybe the static sound will resurface.

Today I call the guy to find out if he's figured out what is wrong with the guitar and he tells me it was silent and well behaved every time he played. I resume to go pick it up, and try it again at home.

I go home, plug the guitar in, and what happens next? STATIC.
    What the hell is wrong with this?? Is it the pick-ups or a combination of the guitar amp with them that's giving static when plugged in? I'm completely stumped and I'd love for someone out there to help me figure out what is happening.

The static doesn't happen with any other guitar but the Jazzmaster.

For info, the amp I play into is a Fender Blues deluxe, i recently got the valves and some resistors changed, the JM has 2 single coil pickups.

Thanks for your help.

Lauren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Apart from 60-cycle hum, which is completely normal in single-coil guitars, it could easily be a wiring issue in your house. Historically, the bathroom light in my house, when on, would create a strong buzzing sound in my amplifier. The house was eventually rewired and the problem seemed to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Have you tried your amp in a different socket?
    Some sockets aren't grounded correctly and this accents the usual 50/60Hz hum you'd get with single coils.

I've had a similar problem in some venues about the place.
    Try the same guitar with a different amp plugged into the same place and the same amp plugged into a different outlet.

Do the others guitars you're trying have humbuckers or noiseless singles in them? This could be why they don't present the same problem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm going to guess it's not the wiring in your house, if it happens both there, and in the studio. If it doesn't happen with different guitars and the same amp, I'd guess it's some weird ground loop between your guitar and the amp.

Can you upload a sample of what you're hearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

Does it happen on all pickup configurations?
    What happens as you roll of the volume & tone pots? (try each separately)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

here you go lads, this is the sound I get when the guitar touches my tummy. I hit it back and forth for the recording.

https://soundcloud.com/laurenguillery/static-on-jazzmaster

I don't think it's some kind of weird wiring in the house as it also made the static noise in studio. I have though tried plugging the amp into a different socket and it still makes the noise.

The other guitar I use is a Mustang so also single coils, and i don't get any static from it.

It does that static noise on both pickup settings on the JM. Do you think it's a case of getting the pickups changed on it? Or is it some kind of weird thing happening with the amp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Looks like that soundcloud track is private. I still think it's the grounding on the jazzmaster that's causing the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

What ya mean by grounding Feylya?

Sorry here's link to the sound:
    http://www.datafilehost.com/d/0ce4f9fc

Advertisement