Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABC's Astronaut Wives Club

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭

Thrill wrote: »

JoAnna Garcia Swisher has landed one of the lead roles.
    Penned by Gossip Girl‘s Stephanie Savage, the drama follows a group of women who support their star-bound husbands during the 1960s space race.
    Swisher, who’s set to wrap up her stint as Ariel on Once Upon a Time later this season, will play Betty, the wife of one of the original astronauts. Betty’s got a down-home appeal, which endears her to the public. She also seems to have something of a clairvoyant gift when it comes to her dreams which often prove all too accurate. Terrified that her husband will die, Betty is growing increasingly nervous. She had worked hard to put Gus through college, and raised their son solo while he was off at war. She’s beginning to feel like they’re no longer a team Source

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ what will happen to Ariel on OUAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

There are some good Stepfordish pictures of the wives of the Mercury Seven:

TMM01ASTRONAUT2_a_417440b.jpg

But this sounds like an attempt to make another Mad Men, which failed with Pan Am. And seriously, prophetic dreams?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dexter co-star Desmond Harrington has been cast as famed astronaut Alan Shepard in ABC’s drama pilot Astronaut Wives Club.Shepard was one of the Mercury 7 astronauts and the first American who went into space. He is described in the casting notes as “competitive, steely, and has a wry sense of humor. Despite a playboy reputation, he and his wife Louise are married for 53 years.”
    Harrington joins previously cast co-stars JoAnna Garcia (Betty Grissom), Azure Parsons (Annie Glenn) Zoe Boyle (Jo) and Odette Annable (Trudy).
    Astronaut Wives Club is based upon the book by the same name by Lily Koppel The series tells the story of “the women who stood beside some of the biggest heroes in American history during the height of the space race

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/19/dexter-astronaut-abc-drama/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I will be giving this a go, could fail miserably but Stephanie Savage is a good writer, she has mostly done teen stuff, The O.C., Gossip Girl, Carrie Diaries,she is or was an exec on Hart of Dixie (not sure if that was cancelled or not). The O.C. was fantastic, she did great work there but since she moved to mostly CW shows with Josh Schwartz (creator of the O.C.) both of their work has begun to lack any real quality, although I will say that I enjoyed Gossip Girl.

Anyways I will say that I am a bit sceptical but would like to see something good for the Savage/Schwartz team again.

New period drama The Astronaut Wives Club takes off at 9pm on Thursday, July 24

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

goose2005 wrote: »
    There are some good Stepfordish pictures of the wives of the Mercury Seven:

TMM01ASTRONAUT2_a_417440b.jpg

But this sounds like an attempt to make another Mad Men, which failed with Pan Am. And seriously, prophetic dreams?

Ia this a picture of their wax work models?

Yvonne Strahovski has joined the drama which originally was set to premiere in summer 2014, production was halted in April while the series concept was expanded. The network has now tentatively scheduled it for midway through the current TV season Source

Kicks off Thursday, June 18 at 8/7c now

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

looks a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Started last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have been watching this since the beginning. I thought initially it was going to be very female orientated and not appeal to the wider audience buy how wrong have I been about it.

It certainly does highlight the highs and lows of being the wife of an astronaut at the at that time period and it some ways it share similarities with Army Wives that ran for 7 years. However as a bit of a space nerd I have gone on to read so much about the original 7 astronauts, the missions, the tragic death of Gus Grissom and the fact that Betty Grissom still makes the trip to the cape every year for her husbands memorial.

It is a bit fluffy in places but I do think it is a wonderful story and worth checking out if you have a gap in our viewing before the main show return in September. I have seen the comparisons to Mad Men, and Pan Am but this is almost true to life events. I came to the show because of Yvonne Strahovski and my love of Chuck. Same reason I watched the last season of 24. She and the other characters make for believable watching

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Well said Present. I decided to give it a go and I'm a few episodes in. It's really good. One of my friends and myself are pretty big into the space missions and I recommended this to hime. Sadly he took the impression that it's Desperate Housewives with Astronauts but it's far more than that. I think it's a better show than you'd expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

And Dominique McElliggot, who plays Louise Shephard is damn hot.

And Dominique McElliggot, who plays Louise Shephard is damn hot.

I was going to say I didnt like her because I found the character so stiff but knowing Dominique's acting this is all in character and I am delighted to see another Irish actress get an extremely big part on a show like this.

Notably I had paid attention to Brett Harrison from his Reaper Days and Wilson Bethel from his Hart of Dixie days, 2 shows I enjoyed in my youth.

Part of this weeks story features Marty Schirra's son wanting to go to Vietnam.

http://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Son-of-astronaut-Walter-Schirra-pleads-guilty-to-2570610.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 for Dominique McElligott! Hottest woman on the show IMHO, and I thought Yvonne would be hard to top!

Just watched the last episode in the series. This was primarily focused on Apollo 10 and Apollo 13.

It wrapped up nicely giving a brief explanation of what happen to the astronauts and their wives.

As I said before a little bit fluffy in places but it has given me such a reference to go and read more about the pioneers of space travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The Astronaut Wives Club salutes the female astronauts that America wouldn’t http://www.avclub.com/article/astronaut-wives-club-salutes-female-astronauts-ame-223111

Looks to have started on RTE 2 now, so fast :p

Advertisement