Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irresponsibility of pet owners

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yakult wrote: »
    I hate this one couple in town, they walk their 4 dogs without leashes on a busy road/popular walking route. Not to mention other people walking dogs, they have no control.
    Is it not the law that they should have their dogs on leashes?

Dogs need to be under control. That doesn't mean they have to be on a leash. Once the dog is trained correctly to return to the owner when out and about then it isn't a problem for the dog to be off the leash unless it's on the restricted breed list in which case it should be on the leash and muzzled*

There's a guy that lives in the town near me, he goes out jogging with his two boxers. One dog is on the lead and the other dog holds the lead in his mouth while the owner jogs along and they run beside him.:D

* The restricted breed list is a load of shiite, it's nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

kylith wrote: »
    The fact that they are 'close to home' is little use in an area with high population density where there can be hundreds of houses in a square mile. When the animal is straying how on earth are we supposed to know who the owner is to complain to them?

A little tolerance does go a long way, but so does consideration for others in keeping your animals off their property. That is all anyone is asking for.
    One thing I noticed over the years with neighbours cats was that if you are friendly with them they tend not to use your garden as a loo. They see your garden as an extension of their territory and also chase off other cats. Obviously if you have your own cats they tend to not let others into their territory. Have you ever noticed the sewer pipes feeding into rivers, as a species we flush our toilets and don't give a second thought to where our own feces ends up. Out of sight out of mind. Moral high ground anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Jesus what huge cats. The postman now thinks I'm insane as I opened the door in fits of laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One thing I noticed over the years with neighbours cats was that if you are friendly with them they tend not to use your garden as a loo. They see your garden as an extension of their territory and also chase off other cats. Obviously if you have your own cats they tend to not let others into their territory.
    As I've said in other threads I don't want to 'make friends' with local cats. I do not want them near my house at all. Again, as I've said in other threads, they sit on my back wall and drive my dogs so demented that I have been threatened with the police and the dog warden, and I now have to sit in the house with my curtains closed and access to my back windows blocked off so that I, and the dogs, can't even see the back garden. All this because of other people's cats. Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I don't condone animal cruelty, but I can fully understand what would drive people to take matters with roaming cats into their own hands. There have been times at 4am when I would have given my eye teeth for a paintball gun in the hope that 1) the cat would get the message and 2) the owner would realise that not everyone likes cats and keep it indoors in future.
    Have you ever noticed the sewer pipes feeding into rivers, as a species we flush our toilets and don't give a second thought to where our own feces ends up. Out of sight out of mind. Moral high ground anyone?
    I really don't think you're correct there. I seem to remember some kind of law against raw sewage being dumped into waterways, that's what all that money on sewage treatment plants is being spent on.

Either way, it's completely beside the point when the topic of conversation is roaming animals and their effects on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Pet owners should keep their pets under control but animals go to the toilet outside.
    If a cat/dog comes into my garden and uses it as a toilet so be it, I'm not going to go looking for the owners.
    I don't let my dogs roam around not because they might attack someone, it's because I would be afraid someone would do something to them or steal them.
    I think if you are living in towns or housing estates it's a bit different and owners should clean up after their dogs.

As I've said in other threads I don't want to 'make friends' with local cats. I do not want them near my house at all. Again, as I've said in other threads, they sit on my back wall and drive my dogs so demented that I have been threatened with the police and the dog warden, and I now have to sit in the house with my curtains closed and access to my back windows blocked off so that I, and the dogs, can't even see the back garden. All this because of other people's cats. Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I don't condone animal cruelty, but I can fully understand what would drive people to take matters with roaming cats into their own hands. There have been times at 4am when I would have given my eye teeth for a paintball gun in the hope that 1) the cat would get the message and 2) the owner would realise that not everyone likes cats and keep it indoors in future.

I really don't think you're correct there. I seem to remember some kind of law against raw sewage being dumped into waterways, that's what all that money on sewage treatment plants is being spent on.

Either way, it's completely beside the point when the topic of conversation is roaming animals and their effects on people.
    Yes, and despite the fact that when my husband is on night shift my neighbours still insist on their precious kids being able to play on the swing set in the front garden. Now as much as I'd love to go out and hose them down when they're whacking the swings against the garden wall and it wakes my husband and particularly when they piss against their own house and we have to smell it I can't do so and have to tolerate it. Sewerage is going into rivers on a regular basis.

Yes, and despite the fact that when my husband is on night shift my neighbours still insist on their precious kids being able to play on the swing set in the front garden. Now as much as I'd love to go out and hose them down when they're whacking the swings against the garden wall and it wakes my husband and particularly when they piss against their own house and we have to smell it I can't do so and have to tolerate it. Sewerage is going into rivers on a regular basis.
    Unfortunately nothing can be done, other than talking to your neighbour, about people making what is considered a reasonable level of noise during the daytime. And if they are uriniating against the side of your house then I recommend talking to your neighbour.

But the above still has no bearing on why you feel cats should be able to do these same activities that so annoy you in humans, frequently in the middle of the night. Why, angry_kitten? Why do I have to be punished by having my pets killed, my garden fouled, my dogs demented, and my house in constant semi darkness so that someone else can take zero responsibility for their pets?

You obviously have no answer that wouldn't make you sound like a selfish twat, which is why you're trying to derail the thread by going on about children and sewage. If you want to talk about noisy children and/or the lack of proper sewage treatments you should really start a seperate thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Ireland has a huge problem with people who don't know how much responsibility is invloved with owning a dog. Far too many think that all they need to do is feed a dog and it's all fine, they do nothing to contain their dogs and don't see any problem with their dogs being loose out on the streets

Unfortunately nothing can be done, other than talking to your neighbour, about people making what is considered a reasonable level of noise during the daytime. And if they are uriniating against the side of your house then I recommend talking to your neighbour.

But the above still has no bearing on why you feel cats should be able to do these same activities that so annoy you in humans, frequently in the middle of the night. Why, angry_kitten? Why do I have to be punished by having my pets killed, my garden fouled, my dogs demented, and my house in constant semi darkness so that someone else can take zero responsibility for their pets?

You obviously have no answer that wouldn't make you sound like a selfish twat, which is why you're trying to derail the thread by going on about children and sewage. If you want to talk about noisy children and/or the lack of proper sewage treatments you should really start a seperate thread.
    I don't believe that your animals should be killed. I also believe that there is a bigger problem with your dogs than your admitting. We all have things that bug us. Realistically if you got dogs to bark at intruding cats and you are now having to deal with the fall out it is you are the selfish twat and your dogs that will suffer for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not on.

People down our street let their dog escape. The thing ran out and attacked my son. Needless to say the dog warden was called and the dog was put down that week.

They hate us now. But my son is scarred for life on his leg.

Stupid X dog owners.

moral of the story....keep your dog in for the love of god!!
    Even if the dog was provoked, it still shouldnt be let out unsupervised. END OF!

I don't believe that your animals should be killed. I also believe that there is a bigger problem with your dogs than your admitting. We all have things that bug us. Realistically if you got dogs to bark at intruding cats and you are now having to deal with the fall out it is you are the selfish twat and your dogs that will suffer for it.

What on earth gave you the idea that I got dogs to bark at cats? I got dogs for companionship, and to encourage me to exercise. There was no problem with the dogs, at all, until a large ginger cat took to sitting on my back wall at all hours of the day and night and tormenting them.

You really are twisting things most strangely in order to try to make this somehow my fault. What 'bigger problems' do you intend to diagnose for my dogs, sight unseen, I wonder?

What on earth gave you the idea that I got dogs to bark at cats? I got dogs for companionship, and to encourage me to exercise. There was no problem with the dogs, at all, until a large ginger cat took to sitting on my back wall at all hours of the day and night and tormenting them.

You really are twisting things most strangely in order to try to make this somehow my fault. What 'bigger problems' do you intend to diagnose for my dogs, sight unseen, I wonder?

Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I mentioned kids playing on swings as an example of something that can be extremely annoying and intrusive to other neighbours, in response to another poster stating that they have to clean up animal poop from the garden before their kids could go out and play on the swings.

You made the decision to get the dogs even though you knew you had cats coming into your garden. Honestly, I believe you got the dogs thinking it would stop them coming in and it backfired on you. So you think people should lock their cats up so that it doesn't inconvenience you. And you accuse me of being a selfish twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

booboo88 wrote: »
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    its not on.

People down our street let their dog escape. The thing ran out and attacked my son. Needless to say the dog warden was called and the dog was put down that week.

They hate us now. But my son is scarred for life on his leg.

Stupid X dog owners.

moral of the story....keep your dog in for the love of god!!
    Even if the dog was provoked, it still shouldnt be let out unsupervised. END OF!

The thing a lot of dog owners forget is that a dog/animal doesnt have to bite out of agression. Some people are afraid of dogs and when one barks at the might lash out at the dog and the dog might bite out of fright.

Before I got the dogs the cats shat all over the garden and killed some of my pond fish.

I mentioned kids playing on swings as an example of something that can be extremely annoying and intrusive to other neighbours, in response to another poster stating that they have to clean up animal poop from the garden before their kids could go out and play on the swings.

You made the decision to get the dogs even though you knew you had cats coming into your garden. Honestly, I believe you got the dogs thinking it would stop them coming in and it backfired on you. So you think people should lock their cats up so that it doesn't inconvenience you. And you accuse me of being a selfish twat.

Why are cats and different to dogs? Lock up your pets at night

you wouldn't leave your goldfish out at night:rolleyes:

So tired of the cat v dog debate. You can't take a cat for a walk in the park or a run on the beach. Not without risking it being mauled by dogs. If we could all just cut each other a little slack life could be so much easier for everyone.

You expect the kids not to play on the swings because your husband is in bed.
    This is totally unreasonable imo. I work shift myself but never expect anyone to change their lifestyle for me.
    I would not expect any kids to stay in doors because I was sleeping.

hondasam wrote: »
    You expect the kids not to play on the swings because your husband is in bed.
    This is totally unreasonable imo. I work shift myself but never expect anyone to change their lifestyle for me.
    I would not expect any kids to stay in doors because I was sleeping.
    Nope, I think you missed my point. My husband would share your views on that, the point I was trying to make is that we all have things that irritate us and that we should be tolerant of others. We live in neighbourhoods and that means that like it or not we have to make allowances for each other. I don't particularly want to listen to my neighbours kids banging the bloody swings against the wall but I make allowances because that is what normal people do. I don't expect people to lock up their kids so as not to bother me and I don't think I should have to lock up my cats to keep other people happpy. Kids are kids and they should be able to play.

I have a high powered airsoft gun for that very reason. Silly kitties and doggies pooing on my lawn.

They only do it the once.

• Advertisement

Nope, I think you missed my point. My husband would share your views on that, the point I was trying to make is that we all have things that irritate us and that we should be tolerant of others. We live in neighbourhoods and that means that like it or not we have to make allowances for each other. I don't particularly want to listen to my neighbours kids banging the bloody swings against the wall but I make allowances because that is what normal people do. I don't expect people to lock up their kids so as not to bother me and I don't think I should have to lock up my cats to keep other people happpy. Kids are kids and they should be able to play.

I think cats are different to dogs, I would leave the cat out all night but not my dogs never. Why do you have to keep the cat locked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theres nothing wrong with letting animals roam at night in fact I think Dublin zoo should let the animals have a bit of a roam at night!

I think cats are different to dogs, I would leave the cat out all night but not my dogs never. Why do you have to keep the cat locked up?
    I don't, my cats have a cat flap. A lot of people have been arguing on boards that cats should be kept indoors at all times on the off chance that they might poop in someones garden.

I don't, my cats have a cat flap. A lot of people have been arguing on boards that cats should be kept indoors at all times on the off chance that they might poop in someones garden.

well that is just silly, my cats are not house cats so why would I bring them in. Cats like to roam, I know some people who have cats that never go outside.
    Animals will poop anywhere, they are not fussy.

well that is just silly, my cats are not house cats so why would I bring them in. Cats like to roam, I know some people who have cats that never go outside.
    Animals will poop anywhere, they are not fussy.
    That was the point I was making earlier. Some people think that cat owners should be reported and fined for letting cats out and that by letting them out we don't care about their welfare and are generally bad and irresponsible people.

That was the point I was making earlier. Some people think that cat owners should be reported and fined for letting cats out and that by letting them out we don't care about their welfare and are generally bad and irresponsible people.

I don't mind cats being left out but would not like to see dogs roaming around at night.Cat flaps were invented for a reason.

• Advertisement

I don't mind cats being left out but would not like to see dogs roaming around at night.Cat flaps were invented for a reason.
    I agree. This all started on a thread in animals/pet issues forum and progressed to afterhours. Some people feel they should be able to poison and generally kill cats for being outdoors. I was shocked by the amount of cat hate that exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I agree. This all started on a thread in animals/pet issues forum and progressed to afterhours. Some people feel they should be able to poison and generally kill cats for being outdoors. I was shocked by the amount of cat hate that exists.

I never heard of a cat, which attacked, mauled, killed, whatsoever, a human being. Just saying ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I never heard of a cat, which attacked, mauled, killed, whatsoever, a human being. Just saying ;)
    I completely agree, if only people could learn to cut each other some slack. Jesus, my cats bother nobody. Some people forget that dogs and cats are different species.

How nice that I have you to tell me why I do things. And how absolutely disgusting of you to insinuate that I should not have gotten dogs because other people let their cats roam.

Yes, people should take steps to ensure that their cats are kept on their property so that other people, who don't want cats, aren't inconvenienced. The same way that you would like your neighbours to make less noise so that your husband isn't inconvenienced. The same way that everyone should think about their actions so as to be considerate to society in general, and the people in their immediate vicinity in particular

Honestly, I believe that you got cats so you wouldn't have to be any more involved in your pets' care than putting down a bowl of KitEKat every day.
    I completely agree, if only people could learn to cut each other some slack. Jesus, my cats bother nobody. Some people forget that dogs and cats are different species.
    And how do you know that your cat doesn't bother anyone? Have you asked everyone in a mile radius of your house if they're bothered by your cat? If they said that they were, what would you do?

What's your point about species? It's already been pointed out that horses are a different species to dogs, but it's still illegal to let them roam. Species has nothing to do with it. All animals deserve the same level of care; a level which roaming cats do not get because their owners knowingly expose them to disease and accident by not keeping them on their property.

For example; a friend of mine was a die-hard 'cats should have freedom' type until fairly recently when both her cats were hit by cars within the space of a couple of weeks. One was killed outright. The other suffered injuries including a broken pelvis, was on crate rest for weeks, cost hundreds in vets bills, and she has decided to keep him indoors from now on. Had he not been found he would have died in agony.

It's not just for your neighbour's peace and quiet, it's for your pets' own good.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The thing a lot of dog owners forget is that a dog/animal doesnt have to bite out of agression. Some people are afraid of dogs and when one barks at the might lash out at the dog and the dog might bite out of fright.

Well then I dont see how thats the animals fault, if someone lashed out at you would you not defend yourself?
    Alot of the time an animal does bite is cause it was provoked.
    Like if my mothers friends case, one of the neighbours kids was tormenting them dog, poking its eyes, after being warned to leave the dog alone.
    The dog bit the child and the poor mite was put down, as even though the child was back up to play with the dog next day, the parents are now looking for compensation(as they were traumatized)
    But I also think leaving your pets out all night and day is neglecting them, if they got knocked down, the driver is to blame but they can hardly help if an animal bolts out onto the road.
    And when they start barking at the wheels:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well then I dont see how thats the animals fault, if someone lashed out at you would you not defend yourself?
    Alot of the time an animal does bite is cause it was provoked.
    Like if my mothers friends case, one of the neighbours kids was tormenting them dog, poking its eyes, after being warned to leave the dog alone.
    The dog bit the child and the poor mite was put down, as even though the child was back up to play with the dog next day, the parents are now looking for compensation(as they were traumatized)
    But I also think leaving your pets out all night and day is neglecting them, if they got knocked down, the driver is to blame but they can hardly help if an animal bolts out onto the road.
    And when they start barking at the wheels:rolleyes:
    No so with dogs. If your dog is roaming, whether you left it out or it escapes, and a car hits it the dog's owner is liable for any damage caused to the car.

No so with dogs. If your dog is roaming, whether you left it out or it escapes, and a car hits it the dog's owner is liable for any damage caused to the car.

really? Its a shame no one told that to bus eireann

really? Its a shame no one told that to bus eireann
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

How nice that I have you to tell me why I do things. And how absolutely disgusting of you to insinuate that I should not have gotten dogs because other people let their cats roam.

Yes, people should take steps to ensure that their cats are kept on their property so that other people, who don't want cats, aren't inconvenienced. The same way that you would like your neighbours to make less noise so that your husband isn't inconvenienced. The same way that everyone should think about their actions so as to be considerate to society in general, and the people in their immediate vicinity in particular

Honestly, I believe that you got cats so you wouldn't have to be any more involved in your pets' care than putting down a bowl of KitEKat every day.

And how do you know that your cat doesn't bother anyone? Have you asked everyone in a mile radius of your house if they're bothered by your cat? If they said that they were, what would you do?

What's your point about species? It's already been pointed out that horses are a different species to dogs, but it's still illegal to let them roam. Species has nothing to do with it. All animals deserve the same level of care; a level which roaming cats do not get because their owners knowingly expose them to disease and accident by not keeping them on their property.

For example; a friend of mine was a die-hard 'cats should have freedom' type until fairly recently when both her cats were hit by cars within the space of a couple of weeks. One was killed outright. The other suffered injuries including a broken pelvis, was on crate rest for weeks, cost hundreds in vets bills, and she has decided to keep him indoors from now on. Had he not been found he would have died in agony.

It's not just for your neighbour's peace and quiet, it's for your pets' own good.
    I wouln't feed my cats cheap crap. Incidently both my cats were abandoned and neglected by other people before they arrived at our home. We spent thousands on veterinary treatment to save one of them. They are both microchipped, vaccinated and have health insurance. What exactly is your problem sweetheart. You hijacked a petition for feral cats on the animal/pet forum, then moved on to the dog roaming versus cats roaming now here you are starting it off again in after hours. You paint a picture of yourself hiding in your house with your dogs, hiding from the cats. Your dogs are doing a damn sight more than occasional barking at cats if you're neighbours are trying to have them removed from you. I think you may need to seek therapy, so I'm not going to engage further with you as I fear it is just feeding your psychosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Theres nothing wrong with letting animals roam at night in fact I think Dublin zoo should let the animals have a bit of a roam at night!

Something like that happened last Tuesday night outside Supermacs in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Those who are saying close the gate, dogs will jump over walls.

build a higher wall or dont own a dog

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    build a higher wall or dont own a dog

My dog does not go outside the garden, it's other dogs who jump the wall to come into my garden.
    Unfortunately I cannot ask the farmer next door to build a higher wall as it would be unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Many a dog owner revels in wet weather. Too often I've seen the abdication of responsibility to pick up their shi*e when it's raining. I'm not sure why they perceive this as an out. The two coupled together just make things more skittery and that is not a good thing for my shoes:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What annoys me more is that when most of these owners take little Rover on a walk, they don't pick up the cr*p that he leaves behind, expecting someone else to do it.

Advertisement