Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather delays social welfare payments

• 07-01-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

Firelogs, mittens and warm clothes needed. Cheques? It's too cold for cheques

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/socialwelfare.html
    Some social welfare payments delayed
    Thursday, 7 January 2010 10:02

The adverse weather is causing delays in payment for social welfare recipients paid by cheque.

Payments to almost 27,000 social welfare recipients who are due to get a weekly payment by cheque today have been delayed by the adverse weather conditions.

The cheques, which had been due to be collected by An Post staff from the Department's Dublin Computer Centre on Wednesday evening, were not able to be collected.

Management in both organisations will be assessing the situation this morning and will make every effort to get the payments to affected recipients.

The recipients affected who receive their payment by cheque include Illness Benefit, basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance payments, Rent Supplement, Mortgage Interest Supplement, Disability Allowance, Family Income Supplement and a small number of Jobseekers and One Parent Family Payments.

If any recipient is experiencing financial difficult as a result of this delay they should contact their Community Welfare Officer at their local Health Centre.

Over 1.2m recipients who receive their weekly payment electronically through their bank or financial institution or with their Social Services Card in An Post are not affected.

Some jobseekers were also unable to attend their Social Welfare Local Office today to sign on as normal, due to severe weather and difficult travel conditions. Recipients affected are being advised to call to their local office at the earliest opportunity once conditions improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cheques? Who uses cheques?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

27,000 people do.

Bet they're durty foridners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Why in 2010 do people have to go and collect the dole?
    Would it not be more efficient, from a security and personnel point of view, to have the money transferred directly into the recipients bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Bet they're durty foridners!

you really dont like black people, do you super_furry?

• Advertisement

Like them? I love them. Black people are awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

The sooner we all pay for everything by scanning our implanted ID chips the better. Cheques, pfft. It's the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jester77 wrote: »
    Would it not be more efficient, from a security and personnel point of view, to have the money transferred directly into the recipients bank account.

No, for many reasons.

1. People who register for the dole then return to their own countries and continue collecting it illegally. ( dole tourists )
    2. People with multiple PPS numbers who collect more than one dole payment.
    3. Causes more inconvenience for the fookers who work and collect the dole.

The "job-seekers" allowance is about getting people off their backside, not making it easier for them to stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the very least they can do is get outa bed to collect the fvckin money... jesus

oooh controversial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Funnily enough for most standard welfare payments they were using direct transfers until last year when they realised it was harder for people to defraud the welfare system if they had to collect their cheques weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Dole sex tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Would it fu*k! Thats part of the problem. You have to collect your dole now at the PO for the first 6 months and then you can get it sent to your bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hell no, if walking down to the post office is the only job they can get - so be it. I'm not paying taxes for someone who doesn't even have to lift their arse from the couch to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Weather delays social welfare payments

That's funny, I thought it was the government made those payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

NothingMan wrote: »
    The sooner we all pay for everything by scanning our impanted ID chips the better. Cheques, pfft. It's the future.

dont let run for the hills hear you say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The sooner we all pay for everything by scanning our impanted ID chips the better.
    Funny place to have it. I'd get embarrassed every time it had to be scanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Funny place to have it. I'd get embarrassed every time it had to be scanned.

Damn your quoting, now my ninja edit means nothing! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So the current bastards Government can degrade the hard working people that have lost their jobs as a result of their glorious cock ups even further. Then add to your humiliation even further by making you queue in a dole office for 30 mins where there are 10 desks but only one person working, and everyone else sitting on their fat arse in the back and getting paid for it
    Magnus wrote: »
    Hell no, if walking down to the post office is the only job they can get - so be it. I'm not paying taxes for someone who doesn't even have to lift their arse from the couch to cash in.

Not everyone is a lazy git. I will be one of the many unemployed in the near future as a result of the shit state of affairs this country has gotten itself into, and I can tell you something, I'd rather be at work than sittin on my hole.

Then add to your humiliation even further by making you queue in a dole office for 30 mins where there are 10 desks but only one person working, and everyone else sitting on their fat arse in the back and getting paid for it.

Due to cutbacks there's only one fat arse back there now and all the employees have to sit on it. It's a tight squeeze at coffee break let me tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

The "job-seekers" allowance is about getting people off their backside, not making it easier for them to stay at home.

It's also about giving a helping hand to hard working people that find themselves temporarily out of work for whatever reason. I know a couple of people that have been on job seekers allowance that need no encouragement to get off their backsides.

• Advertisement

Damn your quoting, now my ninja edit means nothing! :mad:
    Sorry dude.

To be fair, my local post office has a long, long queue, but they deal with it as best they can.

I don't collecting it. However, there was one week back in November where I wasn't able to collect it because I was making applications and meeting with agencies. So I couldn't collect my Jobseekers Allowance because I was jobseeking. :confused:

In England they pay your travel to job interviews. I was able to travel to Scotland and Leeds a couple of times, which was handy as the train fares were very expensive. Back then I didn't have any ties and didn't care where I lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wasn't looking at it from the recipients point of view, but from the pov of what it costs the Irish tax payer every week. Surely when you add up what it costs to transport the cash to all those post offices, the security that is required to transport it and then all the extra overhead in the post offices to deal with all the dole recipients, would it not make more economical sense to put those costs to making the system more fraud resistant?

the security that is required to transport it and then all the extra overhead in the post offices to deal with all the dole recipients

I don't think social welfare cheques themselves are a big target for robberies and money is going to be transported to the post office anyway so it's not really that much extra cost getting them to the post offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

same reason people have to go to the tax office to tax thier car , to maximise employment in the public sector , increased efficenc = reduced staff = increased anger from unions = increased hassle and reduced votes for politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In the UK the money goes directly into the reciepients bank account but one still needs to sign on at the job centre every fortnight.

The signing on and payment parts of the process dont need to occur at the same place/time.
    same reason people have to go to the tax office to tax thier car

No they dont.

Car tax can be done by post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

irish_bob wrote: »
    same reason people have to go to the tax office to tax thier car , to maximise employment in the public sector , increased efficenc = reduced staff = increased anger from unions = increased hassle and reduced votes for politicians
    I tax my car online

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Why? Is their accounts frozen :p

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In the UK the money goes directly into the reciepients bank account but one still needs to sign on at the job centre every fortnight.
    Council tax payments, rent, etc. all go directly to your bank account.

I lost my job in August, went on the dole in September and my first signing-on date is next week (January).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Ah........to make sure they are not collecting the dole AND working. Capiche?

• Advertisement
Advertisement