Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy Neighbours

• 24-09-2007 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there.

We've been having some problems over the last year or so with nocturnal noise from various neighbours. A friend suggested taking a look here and seeing what I could find in the way of advice, I have looked through many threads but feel this case is different and needs dealing with in a different way. Perhaps other people are suffering under the same situation, either way, I desperately need some advice on this matter as it is getting beyond a joke at this stage and needs resolution of some kind, short of my family just up and moving to some peacful shack in the middle of nowhere.

The situation: On repeated occaisions averaging at about 3 to 4 times a week we are being woken up at anywhwere between 2am and 5am it happens mostly on weekends (Friday and Saturday night) but also on week nights (Sunday to Thursday) where a decent nights sleep is vital.

I work from home and have a lot of computer equipment that heats the house up, meaning come night time things are warm, and coupled with less than par health (which I am working on), if the bedroom window is not open I will wake up in a pool of sweat, (apologies for the gross detail). So it means anything but the most considerate conversation outside of the house, will cause me to stirr and at times wake up, this I have come to accept as people talk a little louder when drunk. However, lately the level of incosiderate behaviour has gone up, people walk by in full blown voice, laughing shouting and screaming as they walk through the estate to get to their homes after a nights boozing, oblivious to the fact that it is 3am and people are trying to sleep and have work the next day.

On top of that a trend of late night parties (when they return) has begun, so not only have they woken you up, they keep you awake with constant repetative thumping of a baseline, that even when the windows are closed can be heard.

Our direct neighbours have only done this once in the entire time we have been here, but it is happening weekly around the estate, near enough that it is a nuisance, yet far enough away that I would have to get up, get dressed and go walking to find out the location, are estate is very curvy so we cnnot just peer out of the window and locate the offenders. And the prospect of a nocturnal stroll on my own with groups of rowdy drunk people to confront does not appeal, as I feel it is just better to try to relax and get back to sleep.

I have contemplated calling authorities but really don't know if this is the right cause of action, and whilst if there is a party going from 3am till dawn, they can come and detect it, when people are walking by or saying goodbye to people at the top of their lungs in the wee hours, there is no point because by the time they arrive the noise will be gone and I will have no idea where they were going to (unless I jump out speed dress and leg it out after them, trying to stealthily observe their destination).

The estate was quiet when we first moved here, and it is/was a nice respectable place, but now it is getting unbearable, it is hard to fathom how people can care so little about how their behaviour effects others, I suffer a great deal with stress and anxiety and I am finding these situations harder and harder to cope with, not to mention the hassle of constantly being tired.

So, I really just want to hear thoughts, opinions, advice and if anyone else is currently suffering with similar circumstances.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

earplugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Turn off your computers at night and close the window...?

Its a waste of electricity having them on unless you are performing some computationally intense process over night or something like that..

In terms of the parties, i dunno... earplugs are good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Theodin

Orange69 wrote:
    Turn off your computers at night and close the window...

Its a waste of electricity having them on unless you are performing some computationally intense process over night or something like that..

I don't have them on at night, unless I am running a render which is extremely rare. But still, however they built these houses they retain heat really really well, too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm not going to try and tell you it isn't noisy in your estate but I'm getting the feeling that perhaps you need to try and relax about this. I've lived in Dublin City centre for ten years I have been woken up by just about everything you can imagine. But through all of this I have managed to stay chilled out as I have to be realistic about where I'm living. It's not every night or anything but I know every so often I will be woken up. The fact is for me I can't leave my window open at night as there is an extremely good chance i'll be woken up. My apartment gets the sun all day long so even in the winter we rarely ever turn the heat on. Weekend parties shouldn't be a big problem if you're getting sleep during the work. So my advice...

1. Relax
    2. Open windows during the day to air the house, so you can close them at night.
    3. Don't run computer equipment all day unless you need to.
    4. Make sure televisions/monitors are off if not in use. Get into a habbit of turning them off, don't just let monitors go into sleep mode.
    5. Earplugs? (as has been suggested already).
    6. Go join the party :)
    7. Relax.

meglome wrote:
    I'm not going to try and tell you it isn't noisy in your estate but I'm getting the feeling that perhaps you need to try and relax about this. I've lived in Dublin City centre for ten years I have been woken up by just about everything you can imagine. But through all of this I have managed to stay chilled out as I have to be realistic about where I'm living. It's not every night or anything but I know every so often I will be woken up. The fact is for me I can't leave my window open at night as there is an extremely good chance i'll be woken up. My apartment gets the sun all day long so even in the winter we rarely ever turn the heat on. So my advice...

1. Relax
    2. Open windows during the day to air the house, so you can close them at night.
    3. Don't run computer equipment all day unless you need to.
    4. Make sure televisions/monitors are off if not in use. Get into a habbit of turning them off, don't just let monitors go into sleep mode.
    5. Earplugs? (as has been suggested already).
    6. Relax.

That is all good advice with regards the equipemnt, we don't like pissing money away for no reason so we follow that anyway. With regards the noise, we moved to the country for the quiet but guess noise happens.

As far as relaxing, for someone who battles with stress and a dodgey ticker relaxation is something that is already prescribed, though tough to do, due to the condition, thanks anyway.

Earplugs however do seem like a solution, as long as we can hear the alarm in the morning, even though I really don't go for inserting things in my ears, I expect I will probably give it a try as I need the fresh cool air at night.

However, more specifically;

I was more looking for ways in which people solved issues like this in their community, how people may have dealt with things, and no, I'm not talking about having a go at the offenders I am talking about increasing other people's awareness. You can expect this in a city, but walking through a sleepy estate in the country shouting at the top of your voice to your mates down the road seems to me like something that can be resolved through discussion and education.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Go have a chat with your neighbours and see if they are having the same problems. Then get up one night and see if you can track down the "party house". If its the same place night after night, you can get them in trouble for it. Its probably a rented accommodation, so the landlord might have to move them along. Definetely knock on a few doors and see if others feel the same way though. Strength in numbers and all that...

Actually, that sounds like a good place to start simplesam.

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Find the offending house, everytime they have a party take a shit on their doorstep. Eventually they will put 2 and 2 together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Theodin wrote:
    So it means anything but the most considerate conversation outside of the house, will cause me to stirr and at times wake up, this I have come to accept as people talk a little louder when drunk. However, lately the level of incosiderate behaviour has gone up, people walk by in full blown voice, laughing shouting and screaming as they walk through the estate to get to their homes after a nights boozing, oblivious to the fact that it is 3am and people are trying to sleep and have work the next day.
    Sorry to say, but tough luck. It sounds like you've picked a location which is a rat run to another estate.
    Theodin wrote:
    On top of that a trend of late night parties (when they return) has begun, so not only have they woken you up, they keep you awake with constant repetative thumping of a baseline, that even when the windows are closed can be heard.
    This isn't tough luck, and you should try and find out, as other people have said, if the house is rented. This time of the year, especially, it could be full of students.

=-=

As you may not wish to confront said people, I suggest getting a tape of white noise, and playing it loud, so you only hear that, you'll get used to it, and not hear anything else. Not a solution, as such, but it may work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Find the offending house, everytime they have a party take a shit on their doorstep. Eventually they will put 2 and 2 together.
    Jez she'd be some woman to manage two number 2's? And the bit about them putting it together is just terrible.

anyhow best solution is to contact your local neighbourhood watch or residents committee. Put a note through there door is another option or speaking to your other neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theodin wrote:
    I don't have them on at night, unless I am running a render which is extremely rare. But still, however they built these houses they retain heat really really well, too well.

okay, fair point.

Is there any way though when you perform a render that your software can schedule a shutdown afterward? Somewhat helpful.

Do you need the equipment in your bedroom?

Is there some other way of circulating air into the bedroom, perhaps through the hallway? Leaving the en-suite window ajar?

As for the neighbours the best policy is Make Tea, Not War.

What I mean by that is nobody is going to respond kindly (even if they are at fault) to getting visited by a complaintive neighbour in a foul mood.

The best idea would be to pick a good time, maybe early in the evening, to stop by and have a good positive chat. Sounds like it won't work but then everyone is more receptive to nice people. You'd be amazed; I've been to house parties where we've been told by the host to turn down the music and be quiet leaving because of a good neighbour ;)

as for your soft sleep issues thats a tough one: I've slept in all sorts of environments myself and Im a little surprised you've been finding trouble adapting, but the facts are the facts.

When you do speak with them though be sure to mention the Bass in particular as its usually the one band of frequency that travels beyond the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

From personal experience; you get used to it, even the more amourous nocturnal noises from your neighbours (that did take longer), takes a few weeks but then it's just background noise, at this point they could literally murder one another and I'd honestly say I didn't hear a thing because I'm so used to them beating the crap out of each other and having screaming matches.
    Maybe they've stopped, as I said, I learned to just block it all out so I don't know for sure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had noise neighbours once and enviromental health came around and put in recording equipment and confiscated all his dj equipment, took him to court and fined his £800 or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Go into the attic and roll up the insulation so the house doesn't hold heat so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Leeby wrote:
    earplugs?

Not everyone feels comfortable wearing earplugs, I can't wear them, due to the feeling of SOMETHING BEING STUCK IN MY EARS. :p

It's very unpleasant, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

It's shame that this is happening to you, we moved form our last house due to this and a few other factors, the main being that the houses were so thin walled that when the neighbors mobile rang you looked for your own thinking it was your own ringing... plus the estate went from bad to worse...

Anyway as I have posted previously we know have a new set of problems with neighbors just being ar*eholes... but that's a different post all together..

Anyway, prior to moving we did speak to the neighbors and see what hey though and we all suggested earplugs... sadly it turned out not hearing what was going on outside wasn't the best idea either, breaking in and cars getting robbed etc etc...

So after all that really I have no good suggestions, people will be people and whether they give a **** about how they are affecting others is down to them... and sadly not everyone is a decent "give a **** about others" person!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oops! Turns down boom box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The-Rigger wrote:
    Not everyone feels comfortable wearing earplugs, I can't wear them, due to the feeling of SOMETHING BEING STUCK IN MY EARS. :p

It's very unpleasant, imo.

You can get silicon earplugs.

I never get why people who want to live in urban areas complain about noise. There's loads of open country around where the only thing you'll hear is the odd cow or sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I hate to agree with SimpleSam :D but I think he is right about your first course of action. If it is the same source over and over, there may be something you can do about tackling it at source. Also, get talking to other neighbours, do you have a residents commitee, or something similar. If it's bothering you, chances are it's bothering others too. If you can pool your resources you may be better at tackling the source(s) of the problem.

On the other side, you can work on your coping with the noise. I used to wear earplugs when I worked nights during the summer. Noise of lawnmowers during the day used to drive me nuts. Got used to the earplugs after a week or two and even slept through a burglary! Another option which I have heard about, although I have no idea how effective it would be, is anti noise.
    http://www.amazon.com/HB35-28-Anti-Noise-Muffs/dp/B0007LRQJK
    I wore a pair one time and found them awful, felt like something trying to suck the contents of my head out... but some people might like them! Personally prefer the ear plugs.

Do you have a spare room you could sleep in on the other side of the house, if the noise is too much? Do you have double glazing? Could you close the window and leave internal doors open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I had this problem also and I dealt with it very successfully. I too like to have my windows open at night and there is a rented house two doors down where the tenants are fond of their parties. I have no problem at all with this as long as they are reasonable about it i.e weekends or at a reasonable hour on weeknights. Not three in the morning on a Tuesday and Wednesday

The best way is to nip it in the bud as early as possible. I rang the Gardai after two nights of noise. They were excellent out in the estate in about five minutes visited the house spoke with the guys renting the house - even told one of them that his tax was up on the car and not to have it on a public road until it is taxed. They then called into me and assured me to feel free to call if there is any problems. They did this in such a way so that the guys didn't know who rang the Gardai.

I didnt particulary care anyway if they knew, so I called on their door at 8 am the following morning when they were nicely hungover and dopey. i told them I had called the Gardai and that I would do it every time they threw a party at 4 am on a weeknight.

Then contacted their landlord and demanded that he visit my house so I could speak to him. He did that night and I explained the situation in relation to the tenants. I assured him that I would provide Gardai with his details and that I would ring him in the middle of the night if it happened again

So my advice is - you are entitled to peace and quiet in the house you paid a small fortune for. Dont allow yourself to be buulied into staying silent. Come out swinging (not literally) and that all actions you can and do it a once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

jester77 wrote:
    You can get silicon earplugs.

I never get why people who want to live in urban areas complain about noise. There's loads of open country around where the only thing you'll hear is the odd cow or sheep.

It would still be in my ears, I couldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

My problem is that neighbours are not tenants but VERY long standing members of our suburban community.
    I have followed advise and mentioned it to her in conversation on 2 occasions and followed up with a text on 3 occassions. IN the past 3 years.. so not exactly menacing or incessant.
    Last night I got a text to say it was downright disgraceful that I should be texting/calling her and that they were "telling me to stop"
    I had been friendly and polite - so I took and take offense at her tone?

To be fair, I dont think that SHE is being particularly noisy, it's not just the tv, I can hear her on the phone, or the cutlery on the delph if she eats in the living room - So I think it has more to do with the walls in the house itself.

But if I can stand in my back bedroom upstairs and still hear her tv from next door downstairs in the front room - then clearly there is a problem - and all I said was could we have a chat as it was no longer funny..........

Am I being sensitive, insensitive - I thought that was the rule, brig it to their attention, discuss it calmly - BEFORE taking on procedures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Set up a rival sound system in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Close the Window and buy an A/C Unit? Move your computer gear to another room where the window is open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Noisy neighbours are the bane of society and there should be better laws enforced to let the guard's have more power
    but what do the government do......a blasphemy law:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Unwilling wrote: »
    My problem is that neighbours are not tenants but VERY long standing members of our suburban community.
    I have followed advise and mentioned it to her in conversation on 2 occasions and followed up with a text on 3 occassions. IN the past 3 years.. so not exactly menacing or incessant.
    Last night I got a text to say it was downright disgraceful that I should be texting/calling her and that they were "telling me to stop"
    I had been friendly and polite - so I took and take offense at her tone?

To be fair, I dont think that SHE is being particularly noisy, it's not just the tv, I can hear her on the phone, or the cutlery on the delph if she eats in the living room - So I think it has more to do with the walls in the house itself.

But if I can stand in my back bedroom upstairs and still hear her tv from next door downstairs in the front room - then clearly there is a problem - and all I said was could we have a chat as it was no longer funny..........

Am I being sensitive, insensitive - I thought that was the rule, brig it to their attention, discuss it calmly - BEFORE taking on procedures?

Sounds like poor construction - would your peace be worth a few thousand to insulate the party wall?

Advertisement