Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Fringe question

Options
  • 15-04-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm going to Edinburgh for my first solo show this year. I thought wasn't going as got e-mail from free fringe saying my show was not selected due to increase in numbers applying and limited venues. To my shock last Tuesday got e-mail saying they have a venue for me. But only had day to get money to enter the big fringe book. Since is cost 400 pounds and only a day notice I didn't do it. Just wondering does not being in the book hurt my show or not?. I have good time and venue and working on flyers now, but I'm at disadvantage already? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

If I'm looking for a free fringe event, I will usually glance at the separate Free Fringe book(s) rather than the "Big" book to see what's on nearby but it wouldn't be the bible. There are so many shows off-book.

Like you said, you have a good venue. That's half the battle. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd say more than half of the Free Fringe stuff I go to is spur of the moment because I'm at a venue and something is about to start, I go planning to see a show which fills up too quickly and see something else unplanned or I am impressed by a comic I meet in person.

You'll get a lot more people to come by flyering them in person rather than them checking the book, I can guarantee that. And befriending other comics (I'm assuming you're a comic) who might put in a good word for you if, for example, the people they're flyering can't make their show but are free the time you are on.

(PM me your details if you want, I'm at the Fringe most years and always looking for stuff to see).

Best of luck.

Advertisement