Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Amp Modelling

Options
  • 20-04-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

So, has anybody here left "their dragging heavy amps around" days behind them and made the move to guitar Amp modelling (Axe-fx, Pod Hd etc...)?

What is your setup?

What are your opinions on it and are you happy you moved?

Do the scoffing comments from tube purists cause a single tear to roll down your cheek when your alone at night? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Haha
    Im sorta in the middle.
    I have a marshall avt combo, and a boss gt10 running into it.
    I was using the amp sims in the boss up until recently and they were grand for what i wanted.
    I recently got my hands on a vox satchurator which now gives meyain diatortion tone.

Had a mate over for a jam who has a marshall tsl and he coudlnt believe my tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

I'm using an Axe Fx playing bass live at the moment. Sweet set-up as long as the soundman knows what he's up to. Sound is very consistent between gigs, and set-up/bringing gear to gigs is far easier. Thumbs up from me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm using a digitech gsp1101. I've been using it for a good while now in my band for both rehearsals and gigs. I use it as a preamp that gets ran into a tube poweramp and cab. Since I can switch presets with a midi footswitch I find it really handy for live switching. I can go from my main rhythm tone to a sparkling clean with chorus to my louder solo tone with some delay all with one foot click. I've yet to run it direct at a gig but I don't think there'd be too much hassle doing it as long as the place has a decent pa and the sound engineer knows what he's doing.
    I think the main thing with these is to really look through the manual and learn how best to run a modeller with your setup. Most are pretty versatile with plenty of options built in. I've seen a lot of guys running digital stuff and they don't have their levels set right or they run it into the front of the amp with speaker simulations on without realising it's not supposed to be that way. With all the different parameters it's easy to make it sound awful! Also most presets are junk so I find the best starting point is a blank tone with no effects, eq etc equipped then pick your favourite amp model and tweak until you're happy with the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

Haha
    Im sorta in the middle.
    I have a marshall avt combo, and a boss gt10 running into it.
    I was using the amp sims in the boss up until recently and they were grand for what i wanted.
    I recently got my hands on a vox satchurator which now gives meyain diatortion tone.

Had a mate over for a jam who has a marshall tsl and he coudlnt believe my tone.

Boss really make great pedals. Even if there is a better option sound wise, it is hard to argue with the build quality.

spiderjazz wrote: »
    I'm using an Axe Fx playing bass live at the moment. Sweet set-up as long as the soundman knows what he's up to. Sound is very consistent between gigs, and set-up/bringing gear to gigs is far easier. Thumbs up from me! :)

If the interwebs are anything to go by, AXE FX seem to be taking the world by storm!!! They are still quite expensive though to compete with conventional amp setups though I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I know I'm always harping on about this type of rig so apologies to the regulars. I couldn't gig with an Axe FX because of their cost/worth - I'd be pretty scared for it.

I've been a user of Line 6 stuff for years and the HD500 is brilliant. I have the Bean as well for home use/back up and the two of them cost less than an Axe FX.

I've not heard anything online to convince me to shell out for an Axe FX in terms of the difference in sound. It strikes me that the Axe FX would be great in the studio but I've taken my Pod HD Bean and recorded direct to desk for any sessions I've been contracted to.

This is my cheesy 80s tribute band recorded direct to desk. The lead synth in the second one is from the HD500 and the pad effect under the chords is from dual amping - all 100% live.

Onstage I use whatever powered monitor is to hand and I've no problem getting "good" feed back a la Gary Moore out of this system. What I hear is what the the audience hears which is a comfort too.

Easy Lover

Take On ME (Hd500 doing synth impression)

Delorean - great band sir!!! Your actually playing at my friends wedding this year!!! :)

I'm playing a HD300 in a band also. I would have a got the HD500 but there were too many bells and whistles - I find the amount of flexibility with the HD300 mind blowing as it is.

I DI straight into the desk also. I really can't get over how good they sound. It's like having a dirty secret - it feels so good to you, but you don't feel you can tell anyone else about it!!! :)

Having said that - I have ordered the DT25 to go with it! I found that a decent powered monitor for home use and gigging was the same price so I took the plunge. Now if any purists scoff, I can point at me Tubes lighting up!!!!! :)

paligulus1 wrote: »
    Delorean - great band sir!!! Your actually playing at my friends wedding this year!!! :)

I'm playing a HD300 in a band also. I would have a got the HD500 but there were too many bells and whistles - I find the amount of flexibility with the HD300 mind blowing as it is.

I DI straight into the desk also. I really can't get over how good they sound. It's like having a dirty secret - it feels so good to you, but you don't feel you can tell anyone else about it!!! :)

Having said that - I have ordered the DT25 to go with it! I found that a decent powered monitor for home use and gigging was the same price so I took the plunge. Now if any purists scoff, I can point at me Tubes lighting up!!!!! :)

Haha! I do that to scoffers too. While I love valve amps they're not that practical if you're a working musician. The DT25 intrigued me but one of the reasons I use a monitor is that it points right at me which means I hear it as it is meant to be heard.

In a past life I ran gigs for unsigned bands and I found that the guitarists would always pile on the treble on their amp killing the hearing of the audience.

They did this because with the speaker on the floor the treble wasn't hitting their ears so they turned it up to compensate. I'd love to hear how you get on with the DT25. Do say hello at the wedding btw.

They did this because with the speaker on the floor the treble wasn't hitting their ears so they turned it up to compensate. I'd love to hear how you get on with the DT25. Do say hello at the wedding btw.

By the way - what monitor do you use? The QSC K-10 seem to be what all the POD HD kids are recommending (and the axe-fx folks). They are pretty much the same price as DT25.

Your not suggesting putting a 3K vintage amp up on a chair so everybody can see it also has practicle reasons!!! :)

I'll prob put some stuff up here re. DT25 - this is a bit of a leap of faith for me so hoping it lives up to reviews!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Haha! I do that to scoffers too. While I love valve amps they're not that practical if you're a working musician. The DT25 intrigued me but one of the reasons I use a monitor is that it points right at me which means I hear it as it is meant to be heard.

In a past life I ran gigs for unsigned bands and I found that the guitarists would always pile on the treble on their amp killing the hearing of the audience.

Hmmm... I'm beginning to be swayed...

• Advertisement

By the way - what monitor do you use? The QSC K-10 seem to be what all the POD HD kids are recommending (and the axe-fx folks). They are pretty much the same price as DT25.

Your not suggesting putting a 3K vintage amp up on a chair so everybody can see it also has practicle reasons!!! :)

I'll prob put some stuff up here re. DT25 - this is a bit of a leap of faith for me so hoping it lives up to reviews!!!

I'd say the DT25 will be fine. My only probs with it are for live use it's another weight and the issue of speaker pointing. One other advantage to using a monitor and going DI is that you can have it fairly loud without upsetting the mix or the audience.

In terms of monitors - anything with power that doesn't weigh much is a win for me. I've been using Mackie Thumps and I got the Mackie SRM450 but really anything rugged, powerful and angled high should do the job as they're all flat response anyway. Getting something that requires a DSP or the like seems counter intuitive to me as that's the POD's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Im one of the tone purists playing into a blackstar series one 200 watt head. Its a beast of an amp with an amazing array of tones. Im using the G system from Tc electronics for my main fx and for amp channel switching.The thing that attracted me to the GS first day was the ability to create presets and not have to tap dance as well as play guitar on stage when turning on and off pedals.
    I can appreciate folk using amp modellers like the axe fx or cheaper models as it does the job in most bands these days.
    I just love valve tone so thats why i put up with the negatives off dragging around a heavy amp and fx unit etc.

Sergio wrote: »
    Im one of the tone purists playing into a blackstar series one 200 watt head.....

Finally, someone interrupted the modelling lovefest :)

That setup looks pretty tasty sir!!!

Its amazing though, 5 years ago, the idea of gigging with modelling would have been crazy. Its a really good time to be a guitar player - especially for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Finally, someone interrupted the modelling lovefest :)

That setup looks pretty tasty sir!!!

Its amazing though, 5 years ago, the idea of gigging with modelling would have been crazy. Its a really good time to be a guitar player - especially for a beginner.

Thanks ive spent way too much money on gear the last few years,need to stop now as my wife will divorce me if i spend anymore!;):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I think it's a bit longer than 5 years ago...

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I think it's a bit longer than 5 years ago...

I don't know if people were that convinced by the status quo of modelling until pretty recently. The Line6 Live X3 was the first budget modeller that people seemed to be comfortable gigging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Thinking about investing in the HD500 soon. The sound clips look amazing. For my own tuppence, valve amps are the best, hands down. That does not make them the most convenient though. I started gigging with a PODXT Live about 5 years ago due to being a one man band with a back problem! No roadies in sight so I had to take matters into my own hands. Sold my entire heavy rig and amp and invested in a Bose L1 system and an XT Live. It may not be perfect but 99.9 per cent of punters do not have a clue as to the difference in sound

population wrote: »
    Thinking about investing in the HD500 soon. The sound clips look amazing.....

It may be worth looking at HD300 too and seeing if you need extra functionality in HD500. Amp sounds are identical in HD3\4\500, just more functionality. You can put the 200 notes towards something else then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikaere1974

Hello Thomas from Presence,

I'm struggling to get a good studio / direct distortion tone out of my HD500 going direct left + right XLR to digital Mixing Desk, we only have IEM onstage and no monitors, Love your tones BTW

Mikaere1974

Advertisement