Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S Force Close/Freezes Problem

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

Firstly I'm aware that the answer to my problem may well lie somewhere in the 186 page thread on the Galaxy S on this forum but I've waded through a lot of it and haven't quite come across what i think solves the problem.

My Galaxy S which I have had for 3 months is running Froyo 2.2

I had no problem until about 3 weeks ago. Since then however, my phone application is absolutely plagued with force closures and the screen freezing up. When I make or receive a call, the phone invariable freezes up, meaning either I can't answer a call, the call drops or that I can't hang up, which usually means I have to remove and reinsert the battery to end the call. Sometimes a force close message referring to m.android.phone.com comes up but not always. The phone seems to vibrate quite a bit when I do manage to make a call also.

The other issue is that since this problem appeared, when I press the home button when the screen is locked, it can take up to 30 seconds for the phone to come to life. I don't mind a little lag, but 30 seconds is not on.

Apart from the above, the phone works well and I love it, but this issue has led me to actually revert back to my old Nokia E51 for making calls and receiving important calls.

I'm not a real techie but I'm not a techno-phobe either. I have insurance on the phone but I fear that even if I got another Galaxy (as it's only a matter of time before I break my current one off the wall in frustration!) I would have the same problem. A friend of mine, who also has the Galaxy S has similar problems with it in terms of freezing up etc...

Any ideas anyone? Is it possible to reinstall the phone app? Would a firmware update sort this?

All replies gratefully appreciated, and again, apologies if I seem to be repeating questions posed on the other monster thread.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have you tried a factory reset? Its the first thing I'd try

After that there's custom roms, but if you're having hardware problems this won't fix it, best see if a factory reset fixes it before going down this route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Have you installed any apps in the past few weeks that could be causing the problem? If you have then maybe uninstall them first and reboot the phone and see if you notice any improvement. Freezing/locking could be caused by memory errors possibly from poorly written apps.

After that I'd agree with the post above in that a factory reset would be the next thing to do.

If that doesn't sort it out and assuming it is not a hardware problem then installing a custom ROM might be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ckl1

Thanks guys.

I had installed a couple of apps but uninstalled them and it made no difference.

I did a factory reset earlier today and it has made absolutely no improvement to either the force closures or the lag.

A custom ROM sounds pretty tricky. Any particular recommendations?

Appreciate your help

CKL1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Get Z4Root , root your device then get the OCLF One click Lag fix, this might help, I have it on my Galaxy S and its noticeably improved the lag, never had any issues with the phone app though.

EDIT: Your warranty will be void if you root the device though, keep that in mind

Well,

I've flashed it to Darkys 9.2.

No improvement :(

Not looking good is it?

• Advertisement

Just to update this (and look for more help)

Flashed it to Darkys 9.2 - no improvement.

Wanted to flash it back to stock (so that I could return it to the shop to have a look at it)

Downloaded firmware from samfirmware.com but wasn't able to flash it back.

Thought I had bricked the phone as the dreaded kiss of death icon appeared and I had trouble getting it back into download mode.

Eventually got it back into download mode but the only way I could get out of the above cycle was to basically reflash it to Darkys. Force close message appears on Launcher now and keeps popping up.

I would like to flash the phone back to stock. Does anyone have a link to a specific firmware download that they have used themselves that I could use as any of the firmware from samfirmware.com doesn't seem to be working out for me.

The 3 files I have downloaded are PSA, CSC and PHONE. There is no PIT file. Then when I select these 3 under the 3 relevant headings, the flashing fails so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

I flashed to JPY on the samfirmware site, it worked fine. You need to use Odin to flash it. Open the rar, just flash it as a single image file and select no pit and don't repartition

Seems JPY is now a dead file, try JS8. I have JPY here if you want me to upload it somewhere

Cool - thanks a lot.

Where do I upload the unzippled file to so - is it PDA, PHONE or CSC? Do I tick repartition?

I appreciate your help

ckl1 wrote: »
    Cool - thanks a lot.

Where do I upload the unzippled file to so - is it PDA, PHONE or CSC? Do I tick repartition?

I appreciate your help

I edited last post while you were posting, don't repartition, in phone section select the single file no pit and go with that

Sorry I hadn't seen that.

Still doesn't work.

EDIT hang on, I restarted ODIN, tried again and seems to be working now

EDIT 2: Flip it. Spoke to soon. This is the error message:

<ID:0/015> Added!!
    <ID:0/015> Odin v.3 engine (ID:15)..
    <ID:0/015> File analysis..
    <ID:0/015> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/015> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/015> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/015> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/015> modem.bin
    <ID:0/015> param.lfs
    <ID:0/015> zImage
    <ID:0/015> cache.rfs
    <ID:0/015> factoryfs.rfs
    <ID:0/015>
    <ID:0/015> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

• Advertisement

Ok, one last update hopefully,

Flashed back to JS8 (Many many thanks to Póg mo Thóin)

I've also formatted the external SD card to erase any evidence of Darkys ROM

Only thing now is Kernel is "2.6.32.9 root@DELL105#1"

I can't remember what the stock Kernel was but I don't think there was any reference to root there. Is this kernel evidence of the custom ROM, and if so, How do I get it back to stock?

Thanks all

How is it running on JS8? I have JPY here,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56355/I9000XXJPY.rar

ckl1 wrote: »
    Ok, one last update hopefully,

Flashed back to JS8 (Many many thanks to Póg mo Thóin)

I've also formatted the external SD card to erase any evidence of Darkys ROM

Only thing now is Kernel is "2.6.32.9 root@DELL105#1"

I can't remember what the stock Kernel was but I don't think there was any reference to root there. Is this kernel evidence of the custom ROM, and if so, How do I get it back to stock?

Thanks all

Your device is still rooted, but thats all, you have root access to the kernel if you want but no custom ROM.

I was having trouble flashing to JPY but when I tried JS8 I had no problems.

I want to send this phone back to the shop as the phone app force closures and the serious lag issue seem to be hardware issues. As I presumably can't do so with the kernel still rooted, is there any way of unrooting it for want of a better word?

Thanks all

Don't think its possible to unroot, maybe try an early image and then update through Kies. I'm not sure what version stock is on, could be JPU, but I'm not sure on that, someone who hasn't flashed from stock will be able to answer. Just try get an image earlier and then use Kies

Ask in the big Samsung Galaxy thread

Cool.

Thanks a lot for all your help

Z4 root gives you the option to unroot your phone. As does universal Androot.

Advertisement