Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q re Supplementary Welfare Allowance

• 08-10-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am waiting a few months for my JSA to come through. I applied for rent allowance which can't be paid untill JSA is sorted. I missed my meeting with the inspector because I was in my family home and they closed my claim and I had to reopen it and wait again for another appointment.

I applied for Supplemtray Welafare Allownance from the community welfare officer and I collected my first payment today. It was €390, How id this made up?? I was expecting €190 JSA and €92 Rent...I have no idea where the rest comes from....

Also as my claim was closed and then reopened, Do I loose out on all that backpay for the period before my claim was closed? I asked the inspector and she was reluctant to say yes or No, she just told me to call back up and reopen my claim....

Any Ideas?? Much appreciated...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

flynne8 wrote: »
    Also as my claim was closed and then reopened, Do I loose out on all that backpay for the period before my claim was closed? I asked the inspector and she was reluctant to say yes or No, she just told me to call back up and reopen my claim....

Same happened to me, I'm 18 weeks (and counting!) waiting on JSA. I was told by the community welfare officer and two people in the social that I would still get my arrears from the time before it was closed. I can only assume you will too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ceticspirit

i have a question:
    i am a lone parent and am on a ce scheme in the moment.
    I am also on additional rent allowance, the RAS scheme and as long as the budget 2010 will not cut my money (they will i believe!!! :eek:) its manageable in the moment.

now my question:
    i will inherit some money from my grandma which will be on my account this or next month. its not too much but still a bit of a small cushion.
    does anybody know how much money you can inherit whithout having the welfare money affected?
    or is it allowed at all?

any ideas? a fast idea would be great to know what to do with the money...

thanks guys from kerry:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

i have a question:
    i am a lone parent and am on a ce scheme in the moment.
    I am also on additional rent allowance, the RAS scheme and as long as the budget 2010 will not cut my money (they will i believe!!! :eek:) its manageable in the moment.

now my question:
    i will inherit some money from my grandma which will be on my account this or next month. its not too much but still a bit of a small cushion.
    does anybody know how much money you can inherit whithout having the welfare money affected?
    or is it allowed at all?

any ideas? a fast idea would be great to know what to do with the money...

thanks guys from kerry:p
    you are allowed 20.000.

..thanks so much for the reply.

what happens if it is more......

as my amount is about the double. do they check the account and if yes what happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You are obliged to inform SW, CWO etc., of any change in your circumstances

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/means-test-for-social-welfare-payments/how-to-assess-your-means-from-capital-for-social-welfare-payments

The formula for assessing the means from capital for all social welfare payments (except Disability Allowance and Supplementary Welfare Allowance) is as follows:

Capital Weekly means assessed
    First €20,000 Nil
    Next €10,000 €1 per €1,000
    Next €10,000 €2 per €1,000
    Balance €4 per €1,000

The formula for assessing the means from capital for Supplementary Welfare Allowance is as follows: And this would include Rent Supplement

Capital Weekly means assessed
    First €5,000 Nil
    Next €10,000 €1 per €1,000
    Next €25,000 €2 per €1,000
    Balance €4 per €1,000

• Advertisement

thanks so much for ur reply even it does not look good lol

well i understand them of course but in this case it would be better not to be thought of i guess...or just spend it.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

To the OP!

My claim was closed and reopened but I was told that I wouldn't get back dated arrears. The only way I might get the back dated pay was if I appealed the decision to close my case which I have done but I've heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flynne8

hi guys,

just wanted to reply to my initial posting for those interested. I wrote a letter to my inspector, who passed it to a deciding officer and i recieved my full arrears.

took months, but obviously worth it...

Advertisement