Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pedigree dog illnesses

Options
  • 22-10-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

i bought a cav king charles pup over a year ago, this dog shortly afterwards developed epilepsy(thank god for pet insurance) i've since met 3 other owners with the same breed who have the same illness.

The peril's of interbreeding are decimating the pedigree dog, any other owners noticed similiar type problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

There was a documentary on BBC about this very topic about 2 months ago. They were focusing a lot on Cavs because they can suffer from a neurological problem because of some of their brains being too large for their skulls

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7569064.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Never noticed this in cavs have had a few, either my own, rescue or cavs i have fostered. The problem with them i found is usually the heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

The condition is called syringomyelia, basically the brain is to big for the skull. It was quite distressing to see the poor ckc on the programme suffer the way it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sick Bhoy

golden wrote: »
    The condition is called syringomyelia, basically the brain is to big for the skull. It was quite distressing to see the poor ckc on the programme suffer the way it did.

i thought this was the problem with my mutt, since discovered it is epilepsy.
    very distressing when he is having one of his attack's:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

Sorry to hear you dog isnt well.

You should check out www.cavaliertalk.com. They have a section on health issues that are common in cavaliers

• Advertisement
Advertisement