Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punctured tyre - where to get it repaired? (City center preferred)

Options
  • 03-03-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Had to be on an Monday... left work this afternoon and after awhile the bike didn't feel quite right. Pulled over and noticed my rear tyre was losing air fast - put the bike on the center stand and noticed a screw was wedged in it. Anyway, managed to get to a tyre repair place nearby that only does car tyres though and they patched it up for a fiver so I got home ok.

Obviously, I won't be driving the bike on the patched tyre for now and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations where to take the bike in to get the tyre repaired/replaced if needed. Bear in mind that I cannot remove the wheel myself and I don't have a car to take it anywhere anyway so it would be best to find somewhere close to the city center that does bike tyre repairs. I've never had the need to get anything done to my tyres in the last couple of years that I have had the bike, so any recommendations/suggestions on places would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get yourself into ken whelan, autocycles on mount street. Go down merrion square towards ballsbridge, past holles st hospital towards the canal. Before the canal, on the left, you see a shop and a laneway. Ken is behind the shop. If he isnt to busy he will do it while you wait.

Ken Whelan - Autocycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks for the suggestion Superscouse, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 eldon

where abouts in the city are you based?

I had tyre repair job done by a really sound guy called Evin based in Dolphins Barn

pm me if you want his details

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

+1 for ken. I used him all the time when my bike was still alive and was based in town. He wont repair punctures for insurance reasons though but there is a place around the corner from him that will plug a puncture.

Ken's number is 6449657

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For puncture repairs, the Bike Tyre Co obviously, and Delaney's at Harold's Cross Bridge, both will do it while you wait, a lot of bike workshops don't like having to fix punctures as it means delaying bikes that are being serviced.

Once the repair is properly done (and not in the sidewall) the tyre is as good as new and there is no reason to replace it if it has a good bit of life left and is not damaged. I know a guy who races on plugged tyres, and another one who has toured all over Europe on them. My back tyre is only about 4 months on the bike but it has 2 plugs in it already :( there was no way I was going to throw away a nearly new tyre when it could be repaired.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

If you're near Connolly Station, try M&A Motorcycles on Amiens Street/North Strand (sorry, don't know which one exactly).

They're great :)(and cheap:D). And I have no affiliation with them either...:confused:

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Get yourself a puncture repair kit. They fit under your saddle and you need never be stuck again. Usually cost around €25 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some Ultraseal in the tyres is also very useful.

"Ultraseal is a non-toxic water-based gel inserted into the tyre through the tyre valve. The inner surface of the tyre and rim become coated with a layer of Ultraseal, stopping tyre porosity and reducing pressure loss. Punctures within the tyre tread area up to 6 mm are sealed as they happen, creating a permanent repair for the life of the tyre - tested at speeds exceeding 150 mph"

There are cheaper variations of Ultraseal available. Typical no-name brands. I would advise against using them since the quality is unknown.

I pulled a large nail out of my tyre about 2 months ago. It was sealed within seconds. Whilst I lost some tyre pressure, it was safe to drive to the nearest garage for a top up. At the time of the puncture, I was about 15 miles from the nearest garage. Glad I had the Ultraseal.

**Word of warning: When you put it in the tyres and reinflate, you need to go for a 20 min drive. Preferably with a lot of turns. The reason is so that the Ultraseal spreads evenly over the tyres inner surface. Failure to do this can result in 'wobbles' at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Got a flat in my Golf last week, €11 to fix it.

Got a flat in Vespa (rear tyre), €35 to fix it.

How much have you paid to get your puncture repaired? No new parts used. Just curious.

Happy to be back on the road again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Some Ultraseal in the tyres is also very useful.

"Ultraseal is a non-toxic water-based gel inserted into the tyre through the tyre valve. The inner surface of the tyre and rim become coated with a layer of Ultraseal, stopping tyre porosity and reducing pressure loss. Punctures within the tyre tread area up to 6 mm are sealed as they happen, creating a permanent repair for the life of the tyre - tested at speeds exceeding 150 mph"

There are cheaper variations of Ultraseal available. Typical no-name brands. I would advise against using them since the quality is unknown.

I pulled a large nail out of my tyre about 2 months ago. It was sealed within seconds. Whilst I lost some tyre pressure, it was safe to drive to the nearest garage for a top up. At the time of the puncture, I was about 15 miles from the nearest garage. Glad I had the Ultraseal.

**Word of warning: When you put it in the tyres and reinflate, you need to go for a 20 min drive. Preferably with a lot of turns. The reason is so that the Ultraseal spreads evenly over the tyres inner surface. Failure to do this can result in 'wobbles' at high speed.

do you work for ultraseal, cos it sounds like it, or your just repeating everything on the intruction label

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    do you work for ultraseal, cos it sounds like it, or your just repeating everything on the intruction label

Nope. I just think it works pretty well. Sorry for taking the time to give some advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

im not complaining sorry, just sounded rehearsed, good advise though, i use it myself, comes in very handy especially if you live in the countryside and not a puncture repair place insight for miles.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    im not complaining sorry, just sounded rehearsed, good advise though, i use it myself, comes in very handy especially if you live in the countryside and not a puncture repair place insight for miles.

No worries. The bit in quotes did actually come from the Ultraseal website. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whyner wrote: »
    Got a flat in Vespa (rear tyre), €35 to fix it.

That's outrageous. I've never paid more than €10 to get a bike tyre fixed, including removing/refitting the wheel (not always easy depending on the bike - should be a doddle on a Vespa!)

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nope. I just think it works pretty well. Sorry for taking the time to give some advice...

crazy is a genuine poster and since tyre sealants can be a complete lifesaver if yer flatted in the cold dark once they are used right he gave a full recomendation including a handy tip

its nice to be nice

Advertisement