Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned Motorbike trip.

Options
  • 25-03-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I am interested in doing more long distance trips in the future and was thinking of riding to Morocco next year (2009).
    I need to save up some money first.
    I had a quick look at a map and was thinking riding 7 days to Morocco(detour through Portugal). Spend 4 - 6 days there then ride 5 days back.

As this trip will take a fairly long time I was thinking of flying the wife and kids into Morocco to meet me there for 4 or 6 days.

So what I am looking for is someone to ride with me, preferably also wanting to share the holiday with his family.

Trip from Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco and back (missing Portugal).

I am 41 years old, ride an African Twin and prefer camping and motels than posh hotels when travelling.
    Fairly easy going and I have been riding for more than 20 years. Long distance in Southern Africa. Recent trip up to Scotland.

Any one interested?

Regards
    Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Frank100 wrote: »
    I am 41 years old, ride an African Twin and prefer camping and motels than posh hotels when travelling.
    Does the other one watch? :D

Seriously, best of luck with this Frank. It's something I'd love to do but it's not an option right now, plus I'd need a different bike or get my TDM running smoothly again.

Hve you tried the bigger bike sites, biker.ie and irishbikerforum.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Frank100

murphaph wrote: »
    Does the other one watch? :D

Seriously, best of luck with this Frank. It's something I'd love to do but it's not an option right now, plus I'd need a different bike or get my TDM running smoothly again.

Hve you tried the bigger bike sites, biker.ie and irishbikerforum.com?

The one helps to fix a puncture, :)

Thanks for the feedback. I did not realize how difficult it was going to be to find someone interested (and capable) to ride such long distance.
    None of my breakfast run buddies can make it re: the mail in a forum.

If any one of the 2, 70y old bikers I met in Thurso (Scotland) is reading this please give me a call.

Regards
    Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It sounds very good but I can't commit to anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Try the travel section of the UKGSER site. Obviously you are not a tosser, but there is a lot of good info there, and Morocco is a pretty popular destination.

I am hoping to organise a trip in September myself. The rough plan is a fast jaunt to dusseldorf, chuck the bike on an overnight sleeper train, wake up in Croatia and then ride back via a bunch of countries. Looking at spending a week or so.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

MrPudding wrote: »
    I am hoping to organise a trip in September myself. The rough plan is a fast jaunt to dusseldorf, chuck the bike on an overnight sleeper train, wake up in Croatia and then ride back via a bunch of countries. Looking at spending a week or so.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

MrP - I was looking at trying to find some information on trains that take bikes in europe - going to do a trip in August/September and would love to get the bikes as far east as possible and have fun riding back ;0)

Is there a website that you can find out about such trains and their destinations?

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Try the travel section of the UKGSER site. Obviously you are not a tosser, but there is a lot of good info there, and Morocco is a pretty popular destination.

MrP

I will have a look at the site thanks for the information. I have done a fair amount of research on Morocco already.

If you are looking for people to join you on the Croatia trip please let me know, I might be interested.
    My plan is to ride through all the countries on this planet before I get too old to hold on to a handle bar.

Obviously I would be interested to meet people who also like to do long distances (week or 2 trips).

Perhaps this calls for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

colm_c wrote: »
    Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

MrP - I was looking at trying to find some information on trains that take bikes in europe - going to do a trip in August/September and would love to get the bikes as far east as possible and have fun riding back ;0)

Is there a website that you can find out about such trains and their destinations?
    Here you go.....

http://www.dbautozug.de/site/dbautozug/en/start.html

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Frank, don't forget to post at xrv.org.uk :-) There are good few people from Ireland there too.

samih wrote: »
    Frank, don't forget to post at xrv.org.uk :-) There are good few people from Ireland there too.

Cheers thanks for the advice.

The Morocco or Europe trip might be on this year and without the wife and kids. I should have everything decided within a month or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement