Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop

Options
  • 11-07-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

hoping that I could ask you all for a bit of advice. I'm buying a new laptop this week and am thinking of heading to PC World. My main criterion is that it's lightweight. I really just want to use it for a huge amount of word processing/excel stuff but am am somehat addicted to the internet also (not gaming though).

However I was looking for something that I can actually see in the shops (i.e. not Dell, I'm old-fashioned like that!) and am a bit wary of Samsung given my last laptop but perhaps I was just unlucky so am open to suggestions.

Also, seeing that I was living in a cave in recent times, I was wondering is Vista on all new PCs and is it true that there are lots of problems associated with it. I remember someone saying people should wait til a new system comes along but this is not an option for me.

Thanks for your help and excuse the naiiviety!

W

Budget up to 2000E, ideally less

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

You can't go wrong with a Toshiba or IBM really. HP's seem to be fairly well made too. Sony build quality is excellent, but you pay the premium for brand name.

Vista is fine (for me anyway), once you have the resources (lots of RAM) to run it. I haven't come accross much trouble, and prefer it over XP anyday.

My advice would be to steer well clear of PC World / Currys / Dixons when buying. By all means go in and look, but you will regret buying from them. Their customer care leaves alot to be desired. I worked there for a while, and the things that go on behind the scenes are a disgrace. They pay minimum wage, and it shows.

Little training is given to staff, and they are insurance selling machines only. Ask any of them a halfway techincal question and they will have to leave you for a minute to ask someone in the tech. dept. You only have to do a search on these boards to see how much of a scam the insurance can be.

Their prices are brutal aswel by the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Thanks a mill Fanboy. Good to know what to go for.

My prior experience at PC World and Currys would back up your opinion; I couldn't believe their attitude and was annoyed at myself for buying a computer there a couple of years ago when it was such an unpleasant experience but I suppose they capitalise on customers like myself who know no better (although now I do!). I had heard they make all their money off the warranty etc also.

Appreciate the advice very much. Eyes wide open now.

W

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fanboy wrote:
    You can't go wrong with a Toshiba or IBM really. HP's seem to be fairly well made too. Sony build quality is excellent, but you pay the premium for brand name.

Vista is fine (for me anyway), once you have the resources (lots of RAM) to run it. I haven't come accross much trouble, and prefer it over XP anyday.

My advice would be to steer well clear of PC World / Currys / Dixons when buying. By all means go in and look, but you will regret buying from them. Their customer care leaves alot to be desired. I worked there for a while, and the things that go on behind the scenes are a disgrace. They pay minimum wage, and it shows.

Little training is given to staff, and they are insurance selling machines only. Ask any of them a halfway techincal question and they will have to leave you for a minute to ask someone in the tech. dept. You only have to do a search on these boards to see how much of a scam the insurance can be.

Their prices are brutal aswel by the most part.

I would have to agree with everything said about pc world especially with the training. I have known people who worked there and the only reason they know anything technical is because they have an interest in computers and found out about it themselves.

Advertisement