Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

750 Euros to purchase a laptop for gameing and general use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just google the model. they seem to have nvidia cards in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 morningperson

I have seen some though with the intel crap and really do not want to take a chance unless someone can tell me defo

• Registered Users Posts: 16 morningperson

Just had a look at the service tag manual defo the intel
    System Information

System chip set

Mobile Intel 945PM Express or

Mobile Intel 945GM Express

Data bus width

64 bits

DRAM bus width

dual channel bus

Processor address bus width

32 bits

Flash EPROM

1 MB

PCI bus
    (PCI-Express used for video controllers)

32 bits
    x16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The 9400 is a really good gaming laptop, but you'll need to get the X1400 graphics at the very least and the 7900GS preferably. Also try and get the WUXGA screen model with 1920 x 1200 resolution as opposed to the lower spec 1440 x 900.
    If you can't get all the features you want in the same laptop on Dell outlet, it is possible to buy two or three systems with the different required components, make your perfect system between the three, and then sell off the unwanted systems at a profit. Admittedly it is a bit of work, not to mention outlay, but if you find it difficult to sell the systems you can always return the lot to Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Intresting idea but defo not going to do it.
    What I would like is the
    dell 9400 17" Mon 1.83 GHZ Dual and decent graphics
    1gb mem
    80gb hd

Is it realistic to expect to get this spec on this budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I don't think you'll get that CPU with discrete gfx for under €750 - off Dell Outlet anyway. You might get lucky on ebay though.

If you can, wait 'til near the end of the month to see if prices go down after Intel's price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He already said Half Life 2 and Oblivion. Half Life 2 is very hardware friendly, even a budget Dell 1501 will run it relatively decently. Oblivion is another matter though, it can technically run on lower end hardware especially if you use the oldblivion mod, but it won't be pretty.

the laptop that doesn't have any specific video listed is most likely using the onboard gma950, which isn't bad for older dx8 games but hit and miss for dx9 titles and dreadful, if not totally unfunctional for newer dx9 games that date from late 2005 onwards.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Aspire_5103WLMi_Notebook_LX.AG20J.127/version.asp

Check out that - it's a good spec (relative to the price) if you plan gaming, the X1300 is weak but far better then any integrated option at the moment and will run Half Life at fairly high settings, Oblivion maybe at lowish-some med, but what more can you expect on a budget of 700?

15.4 screen is definitely enough - unless you had a very powerful gpu several steps ahead of whats within your budget you won't be running games at native res, probably at 800x600 or 1024x768 scaled up.

Tell you the truth Havok that laptop seems too low specced how about this one
    http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?target=SpecPage&serviceTag=FXB3HEH0&sessionID=GTQLM818!458142421!-224497291!1184075979267

Also is there anything on the ebay dell outlet worth a punt cant check here.
    The graphics on the Acer seems to low spec also would never use laptopsdirect again terrible customer service
    Though thanks for the recommendation if it had a better GPU would be intrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can't see that link, I know the X1300 is a low end piece of hardware but I was trying to keep your budget in mind....what's in the link you gave tehre?

Wait I see it now, yeah that's a good deal, the X1400 is an OK card as well. I have a Go7400 in my laptop, the X1400/Go7400 perform virtually identical, here's a thread where I posted what I got running and how well....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=92443

Here's another using the cheap X200 onboard graphics, another popular video option in cheap laptops:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=114055

All in all though, it'd be hard to get anything better within your budget, the Outlet is a bargin as it is!

http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?target=SpecPage&serviceTag=FXB3HEH0&sessionID=GTQLM818!458142421!-224497291!1184075979267

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
    Inspiron 6400 (System Identifier. FXB3HEH0)
    Inspiron 6400 Core2Duo Prsr 1.73GHz
    Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    System Price EUR 642.00

Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Memory: 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 120GB (5, 400rpm) Hard Drive
    Video: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 graphics card
    NoteBook Screen: 15.4 Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT Display
    Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    DVD Drive: Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    MISC: 65W AC Adapter
    Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI - 60 day trial
    Inspiron Resource DVD - Vista (Diagnostics & Drivers
    6-cell , 53 WHr Li-Ion primary battery
    NO SNAP COVER OPTION

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

there's one on adverts for €700 by the looks of things might suit

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=27074&cat=500

700 euros is way too expensive for this I wouldnt pay more than 550 for that spec,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

i was gonna sugguest you get the dell m1710,great gaming laptop,but then i reread the thread and realised you had a budget of 750 :-/ anyway hope you find one within your budget :)

Advertisement