Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing affection

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate any advice/insights etc! Will try keep it short.
    I’m a late 20s single gal who moved abroad almost a year ago. I’ve pretty much always been single but dated quite a bit over the years, everything from casual set ups to flings to short-term relationships etc.

When I moved abroad the dating continued, tried the Tinder thing for a while with varied results, the main conclusion being that most guys were out for casual and I’m at the point where I don’t really want to do that anymore.

I found that with all the first and second dates and sex-then-nothing scenarios my hammering was taking a beating, so about two months ago decided to take a break from it all and focus on myself for a while. No dating, no hooking up, no dating apps, no silly text messages, nothing. I have a busy job and am always on the go so figured it would be easy to let that side of things slide for a while as it’s not as if I have a rake of free time anyway.

I just find that I am so, so missing the affection side of things. I miss having someone to text and I miss hooking up but it’s more than that. Just someone to fall asleep with and hold hands with etc I suppose. I really don’t want to fall back into a rut of meeting all the wrong men and getting nowhere with anyone again as I did get a bit hurt with the head fcuk of it all and more than anything would love to meet someone special. But I do see the merit in ‘clocking out’ for a while too to build up my confidence and my own life too.

I suppose I just don’t really know how to reconcile these two things - the need to be on my own until I’m confident to get back out there versus the sort of loneliness that Im experiencing. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tinder is a hookup app its not really designed to help you meet a long term partner. Online dating is pretty hit and miss at the best of times. Have a look at some of the most viewed profiles on regular dating sites and set up one that appeals but be clear with what you want too.

Advertisement