Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why O why dont we revert back to 4-4-2, we've had all our success with this formation, Can you imagine how much more we could get out of RVP if he had a competant striker playing alongside him, im sick of this 4-5-1 formation its aloada bo****ks, far too negative in my opinion.

Im starting to feel sorry for the Ox as well, can you imagine how he's feeling with the absolutely diabolical Walcott and Arshavin getting the nod ahead of him :eek: Talk abut sapping the lads confidence.

I love Wenger but some of his decisions quite simply baffle me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why O why dont we revert back to 4-4-2, we've had all our success with this formation, Can you imagine how much more we could get out of RVP if he had a competant striker playing alongside him, im sick of this 4-5-1 formation its aloada bo****ks, far too negative in my opinion.

While I do agree with you I would love to see us revert back to 4-4-2 our current formation just isnt working nor has it for a long time but the problem is we dont have the player for 4-4-2 anymore, who would play alongside Van Persie? I was all for giving Theo a chance up front but hes been so ppor lately I dont want him anywhere near the pitch.

Plus we have so many central midfielders now who would play, Song, Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshire, Coquelin, Rosicky, Diaby, Arshavin although not suited to a standard central midfield role is neither suited to the typical winger role.

Basically I think its a good idea but it would mean a major overhaul on personel, the dead weight and our good players.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mmmhmm, who is going to play in attack beside Robin in a 4-4-2?

Mertesacker has been a very good signing. Nice player, reminds me of Steve Bould and will probably always be underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭cson

Has Arshavin ever played behind RVP? I know he's likely to be as useless as he usually is [and I said as much when I went through the squad a few pages back] but in terms of options we have **** all so maybe 4-4-1-1 might be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    With 4-4-2 you need proper wingers. Something we lack. Also, who do you leave out in the middle if everyone is fit? I'd love us to revert to something like 4-4-2 but we just dont have the players right now.

Szczesny

-- Sagna -- Koscielny -- Vermaelen -- Santos/Gibbs

---- Walcott? -- Song -- Wilshere -- Arteta?

Park/Chamakh* -- van Persie

Sounds good in theroy but we dont really have the players needed to do it properly. Chamberlain could be in for Walcott but we'd still have a problem on the left side. Arshavin will still be getting games so long as he is here, that means either he plays LW, or up front with van Persie. Rosicky wouldnt have the pace to play on the wing imo. The only other option is Gervinho who is struggling as it is. I listed Arteta as we dont really want to be leaving any of Song, Wilshere and Arteta out when they are all fit.

If we get a few real wingers in, then it would work and our biggest problem would be who to leave out in the middle. Until that happens, I dont see 4-4-2 coming back any time soon :(

*Assuming Henry is only here for the two months. Otherwise, he's in.

• Advertisement

While I do agree with you I would love to see us revert back to 4-4-2 our current formation just isnt working nor has it for a long time but the problem is we dont have the player for 4-4-2 anymore, who would play alongside Van Persie? I was all for giving Theo a chance up front but hes been so ppor lately I dont want him anywhere near the pitch.

Plus we have so many central midfielders now who would play, Song, Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshire, Coquelin, Rosicky, Diaby, Arshavin although not suited to a standard central midfield role is neither suited to the typical winger role.

Basically I think its a good idea but it would mean a major overhaul on personel, the dead weight and our good players.

Id play Chamakh up front with Van Persie no other option unless he goes out to buy a striker (Giampaolo Pazzini would be top of my shopping list), I still feel Chamakh has something to offer but only as a second striker the lone role up front doesnt suit him at all . Id have Wilshere and Song in the middle of the park with Ramsey and Arteta there for cover and get rid of Diaby, Arshavin and Rosicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

I'd give Arshavin a few games up along VP. I reckon he'd be very good playing just off him. Might be wrong but he's played there before for Russia and looked a different player altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

cson wrote: »
    Just on this; Newcastle's latest signing would fit the bill; proven goalscorer in the Bundesliga for £7.5m.

A mate of mine lives in Freiburg and is full of praise for the toon's new signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

A mate of mine lives in Freiburg and is full of praise for the toon's new signing

dont know too much about him but from the stats ive seen of him he looks very decent indeed. Something like 33 goals in 53 matches over 2 years. Not a bad return at all.

Def think we need to sell before we can buy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Didn't Arteta play left wing a lot for Everton?

• Advertisement

According to this... http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-pleased-despite-fall-in-profits-2363705.html

We have £160m sitting on deposit. Now I know that's not a transfer kitty but you'd have to imagine a good bit of it is and we should have added to it as we've the sales of Cesc, Clichy and Nasri [£67m] as against spending of £50m or so.

Good that the debt is down under £100m too; we should have that cleared in the medium term and be debt free.

One important point to make is that whilst the Emirates is great to have, you'd notice how easier it is to get tickets these days; outside of the top 5 you're virtually guaranteed tickets as a red member for any other game. They're even going on general sale now. What I'm saying is; attendances in that stadium correlate to success to an extent; its all well and good being prudent but if it translates to playing ****e on the pitch and doing ****e in general then you'll quickly see how big the Emirates is when you've 20k empty seats. Gazidis et al and Wenger would do well to keep this in mind.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Didn't Arteta play left wing a lot for Everton?

He'd be wasted out there for us; he's at his best playing the way he is for us now, an Alonso type role.

Reyes gone back to Sevilla too.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/01/17/home-is-where-the-heart-is-as-jose-antonio-reyes-returns-to-sevilla/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

From F365

Defeat at Swansea on Sunday has left the north Londoners fifth in the Premier League and four points adrift of nearest rivals Chelsea.

They host champions Manchester United on Sunday knowing they cannot afford to drop any more points if they want to stay in contention for a European spot.

Defeat at the Emirates could see them drop into seventh place if other results do not go their way.

The Gunners have qualified for the Champions League in all of Arsene Wenger's full seasons in charge.

But after showing uneven form this season, Hill-Wood is preparing for the eventuality of Arsenal not booking a spot in Europe's top club competition.

"We are hanging on in there, no more," he told the Daily Star of the club's current position.

"From a financial point of view, not qualifying for the Champions League is quite a blow.

"We have been planning for not qualifying every year, so it's not a disaster, but it would be nice if we could."

That bit in bold says it all really. Some might say good planning but to me that just shows the general lack of ambition been shown from the club

jonny666 wrote: »
    That bit in bold says it all really. Some might say good planning but to me that just shows the general lack of ambition been shown from the club

Wow! What a ridiculous comment by Hillwood, do we really expect van persie to stay if this is the attitude of the board? No wonder the players dont give a toss when there in an environment with such a lack of ambition. What has gone wrong at our great club :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I know he's apparently 'not for sale' but what would the general opinion be as to the possible signing of Peter Odemwingie as a second striker?

Not an out-and-out brilliant player, but certainly has a good eye for goal and is a helluvalot better than Chamakh IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

401003_278831602176243_123568004369271_818643_1779977589_n.jpg

Seen this picture, don't really know what to make of it, true in most ways with the main objective the same as any business but this one has just a real lack of ambition!

Don't know Wenger is in the picture though, it's not like he pockets the cash for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cson wrote: »
    I'd rather Mertesacker than Cahill tbh, the latter is yet another example of overpriced overrated English 'talent'. £7m for a player who's had a poor season and is out of contract in the summer is madness.

An Mertesacker is another example of someone whose poor club form was ignored because he had loads of international caps.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Chelsea have been ripped off with Cahill. I find it a little ironic people complaining about high wages and then complaining we didn't get Cahill for 80k a week, he's not worth anywhere close to that! He'd also be in the EXACT same position as Mertesacker currently is. Third choice. If Mertesacker is a low standard player, Cahill doesn't even regisister. I'd much rather Mertesacker in my team than Cahill.

Scott Parker meanwhile is a very average player. A good run of games and suddenly everyone makes him out to be world class. He's average and nothing more.

Two players I'm glad we avoided.

As someone else said there is a fair bit of arrogance in that statement.
    People complain about how players like Parker, Cahill or the likes of Long were not good enough for the club, yet the club has a list as long as your arm of substandard gutless wonders.
    Added to that Wenger went out and brought in a rag taggle bunch, primarily ones who have no experience of PL, but yet are meant to slot into prominent positions on the pitch and deliver from the start.

People need to forget about chasing after the world class players.
    When did Wenger ever buy the guys who were at the very top of their game and were labelled world class ?
    His biggest successes were when he tended to buy young guys with bags of potential (Fabregas, Anelka, Toure), guys who had once shown great potential but whose careers were stalling at other clubs (Henry, Viera) or huys with big injury worries (Overmars).

Nowadays when Wenger shows an interest particularly in young players the other bigger clubs wave the cash about and he tends to lose out.

Arsenal need a few so called "average" players sourced from the PL or hell even the Championship to add a bit of good old fashioned steel to an often flaky squad.

I am not allowed discuss …

jonny666 wrote: »

Hill Wood is a general mongtard. Always mouthing about what the club should do or about players or whatever. He seems to have this perception that people give a shite about what he says and [ii] he's someway entitled to say Arsenal should be run xyz way because his great grandfather brought us forward or some such nonsense.

He doesn't own the club, he doesn't manage anything to do with the club. Chairmen should be seen and not heard, he should shut the **** up tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Two signings are needed before the end of the month. Simple as.

However I'm convinced the board are happy for us to be in the Europa League next year as the Cesc + Nasri money will offset the lack of CL revenue. Then they can spin us some bullshít about how we can't spend big in the summer as we don't have CL money coming in and then if we can get 4th. next year they'll present it as some big improvement and victory against the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's sad to watch us penny pinch while Liverpool with no European football at all had money to burn in summer. I know they have a bigger global fanbase than us, but surely our constant Champions League revenue and miniscule transfer spending over the last two decades would mean we'd have enough disposable cash to buy a few quality players.

Don't get me wrong, I think Arteta was a wonderful piece of business, but the other signings haven't been all that.

• Advertisement

Anyone seen this guy play for the reserves or know anything about him?
    Barnet manager Lawrie Sanchez has signed rookie Arsenal defender Sead Hajrovic on a month's loan.

Sanchez moved for the Swiss right-back after Danny Sendasuffered a knee injury last week which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Hajrovic, 18, joined the Gunners from Grasshoppers of Zurich and has impressed for the reserves this season.

"This has come out of the blue and I am looking forward to playing first-team football," he told the club's official website.

Hajrovic is in line to make his Barnet debut against Northampton on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Anyone seen this guy play for the reserves or know anything about him?
    Barnet manager Lawrie Sanchez has signed rookie Arsenal defender Sead Hajrovic on a month's loan.

Sanchez moved for the Swiss right-back after Danny Sendasuffered a knee injury last week which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Hajrovic, 18, joined the Gunners from Grasshoppers of Zurich and has impressed for the reserves this season.

"This has come out of the blue and I am looking forward to playing first-team football," he told the club's official website.

Hajrovic is in line to make his Barnet debut against Northampton on Saturday.

He is only ok can't see him breaking through

He is only ok can't see him breaking through

Haven't even heard of his name ever being mentioned to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Say what you want about Mertesacker, but at least he's actually a fan of the club and has been for a long time...

AjcWkM6CQAEiAuT.jpg:large

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's sad to watch us penny pinch while Liverpool with no European football at all had money to burn in summer. I know they have a bigger global fanbase than us, but surely our constant Champions League revenue and miniscule transfer spending over the last two decades would mean we'd have enough disposable cash to buy a few quality players.

Don't get me wrong, I think Arteta was a wonderful piece of business, but the other signings haven't been all that.

I agree completely I know people keep spouting how we have no money to spend on players but surely there has to something there, Im just not sure if its the board thats holding back or Wenger himself to stubborn to break his own philosophy of getting players on the cheap when he has spent money it hasnt worked out for him in Reyes and Arshavin. I belive myself its more Wenger than the board you can just picture him going down to tescos at midnight to do his shopping looking for cheap baked goods instead of spending the few extra pence, no other manager talks about the club finances they only worry about the players they have and want and let the board worry about the money side.

I do agree on Arteta hes been a wonderful signing but I also think Mertesacker has been underated by a lot yeh hes made one or two blunders but otherwise hes been solid and a very calming influence on the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Say what you want about Mertesacker, but at least he's actually a fan of the club and has been for a long time...

Doesn't really mean much TBH. I've had Dortmund, Milan, Monaco, Barca tops since I was a child, don't support any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

AjcWkM6CQAEiAuT.jpg:large

It was nice to the fellas beside him to stand on boxes so he looks smaller.

Random stat via twitter

Koscielny has only lost 4 tackles all season, winning 50 (93% success rate) - statistically the best tackler in the PL.

Sorry for the double post :o but this from Van Persies twitter

Persie_Official Robin van Persie

Just had lunch with @T_Vermaelen05 sjesus this guy can eat ha ha ha he vermenates da food!!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

jmayo wrote: »
    An Mertesacker is another example of someone whose poor club form was ignored because he had loads of international caps.

As someone else said there is a fair bit of arrogance in that statement.
    People complain about how players like Parker, Cahill or the likes of Long were not good enough for the club, yet the club has a list as long as your arm of substandard gutless wonders.
    Added to that Wenger went out and brought in a rag taggle bunch, primarily ones who have no experience of PL, but yet are meant to slot into prominent positions on the pitch and deliver from the start.

People need to forget about chasing after the world class players.
    When did Wenger ever buy the guys who were at the very top of their game and were labelled world class ?
    His biggest successes were when he tended to buy young guys with bags of potential (Fabregas, Anelka, Toure), guys who had once shown great potential but whose careers were stalling at other clubs (Henry, Viera) or huys with big injury worries (Overmars).

Nowadays when Wenger shows an interest particularly in young players the other bigger clubs wave the cash about and he tends to lose out.

Arsenal need a few so called "average" players sourced from the PL or hell even the Championship to add a bit of good old fashioned steel to an often flaky squad.

We have players not good enough, so why should we be looking to add more? We should be looking at players better than what we have, not the same or worse. Cahill and Parker are not better than what we have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement