Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what would you think?

• 15-09-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

I've never looked at my partners phone but when it rang this evening I was near it and saw a woman's name that I hadn't heard of before. I didnt think a whole lot of it. My partner was upstairs. When he checked it he said oh just a blocked number. it was only then that I thought that's weird. So I said I had been standing near when it rang and had seen a name. To put it mildly he was not and still is not happy. I have to say I've a weird feeling about this. What would people on here think? Was I out of line asking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭stuboy01

mazdaminx wrote: »
    I've never looked at my partners phone but when it rang this evening I was near it and saw a woman's name that I hadn't heard of before. I didnt think a whole lot of it. My partner was upstairs. When he checked it he said oh just a blocked number. it was only then that I thought that's weird. So I said I had been standing near when it rang and had seen a name. To put it mildly he was not and still is not happy. I have to say I've a weird feeling about this. What would people on here think? Was I out of line asking?

it is weird that he said it was a blocked number. Ask him about why he lied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What would people on here think? Was I out of line asking?

I don't think you were particularly out of line for asking.

Sorry, that's all I gots!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mazdaminx

stuboy01 wrote: »
    it is weird that he said it was a blocked number. Ask him about why he lied.

He said he mixed it up with a missed block number from earlier. He then said it's a colleague. The is name quite different and that he misspelled it when saving it to phone. He's demanding an apology now.

He seems defensive or is it just me? Were you asking him casually when he reacted like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mrty

He's not lying for nothing, be very careful with this one, tell him straight up what you're feeling. If a woman's name appeared he clearly has the number and knows this person. I recently went through the same crap and it ended very badly for me. I don't want to be freaking you out or anything but in my experience people don't lie for no reason. I know i don't know you but i would hate to see anyone go through what i have just been through. My advice is get to the bottom off it as quickly as you can. Best off luck.

• Advertisement

Hey OP wrote: »
    He seems defensive or is it just me? Were you asking him casually when he reacted like that?

Pretty much. I just thought it was suspicious I said this to him which didn't go down well. I've a bad feeling on this one

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Demanding an apology seems a bit OTT. Did he ring the colleague (who, I assume, he is claiming is male) back? Strange that he would misspell a colleague's name to be that of a woman and then demand you apologise for mentioning it.

He is not being completely truthful. Nobody here can tell you why he is not being completely truthful, but he is trying hard, and failing, to keep something from you.

Is your birthday/anniversary/surprise proposal coming up?? If it's not one of those, it's probably something less pleasant.

Demanding an apology seems a bit OTT. Did he ring the colleague (who, I assume, he is claiming is male) back? Strange that he would misspell a colleague's name to be that of a woman and then demand you apologise for mentioning it.

He is not being completely truthful. Nobody here can tell you why he is not being completely truthful, but he is trying hard, and failing, to keep something from you.

Is your birthday/anniversary/surprise proposal coming up?? If it's not one of those, it's probably something less pleasant.

He said colleague was female, one he has mentioned before. But the spelling is way off which would be unlike him. No he didnt call anyone back. There's nothing coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

He lied. You caught him out and he may have lied again. Be on your guard. The mixing it up with a blocked number from earlier sounds dodgey. It may be true, but thread carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

How is he normally with his phone? would he always have it with him? doesn't let it down much? have it locked? His reaction seems to be defensive but I'm only surmising from your post.I'd suggest to trust your instincts ...just something I learned from past experience and similar situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭catonthewire

Trust your instinct...

You have a bad feeling and rightly so.....
    Refuse to apologise, why is he asking anyway?.....
    Imagine if the shoe had been on the other foot??...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭jopax

Yes would agree with all the previous posts.
    It is v strange and what would make me more suspicious is why he was so defensive.
    If he had nothing to hide then what is his problem.
    As others have said, trust your instinct on this.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If he is up to something with this woman, why would he put her name in his phone? Surly it would make more sense to save her number under a false name, say "Paul" or something. Although I agree with the posters above, it does look a bit dodgy. I dont know why he is angry with the OP, its not as if she went through his phone or anything, she just saw a name flash up on a screen, nothing to apologize about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If he is up to something with this woman, why would he put her name in his phone? Surly it would make more sense to save her number under a false name, say "Paul" or something. Although I agree with the posters above, it does look a bit dodgy. I dont know why he is angry with the OP, its not as if she went through his phone or anything, she just saw a name flash up on a screen, nothing to apologize about.

He probably felt no need to put it in as "Paul" or another mans name as the OP said she never looks at his phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pretty much. I just thought it was suspicious I said this to him which didn't go down well. I've a bad feeling on this one

He got angry because he got caught. The easiest way to deflect attention from that is to get angry and turn it on you. I've been there, I've caught someone else out in a nasty lie and the person got extremely angry at me (in my case, it was seeing something on a Facebook page and I got accused of snooping and spying). Needless to say, the truth came out quickly after that.

You're right to have a bad feeling, I'm afraid.
    He said colleague was female, one he has mentioned before. But the spelling is way off which would be unlike him. No he didnt call anyone back. There's nothing coming up.

Was the first letter incorrectly spelled? My guess is that he spelled it incorrectly in case you got suspicious, and looked through his phone for a specific name. Say her name is Jennifer, and he spelled it Gynifer, you'd easily miss it if you were looking scrolling for 'Jennifer'.

It doesn't sound good to me. In any case, I wouldn't be happy to be with someone who gets irrationally angry at me for nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Faith wrote: »
    He got angry because he got caught. The easiest way to deflect attention from that is to get angry and turn it on you. I've been there, I've caught someone else out in a nasty lie and the person got extremely angry at me (in my case, it was seeing something on a Facebook page and I got accused of snooping and spying). Needless to say, the truth came out quickly after that.

You're right to have a bad feeling, I'm afraid.

Was the first letter incorrectly spelled? My guess is that he spelled it incorrectly in case you got suspicious, and looked through his phone for a specific name. Say her name is Jennifer, and he spelled it Gynifer, you'd easily miss it if you were looking scrolling for 'Jennifer'.

Well spotted, probably in a cheaters book of trick to reduce the chances of getting caught.

The 2 names begin with the same 3 letters but the endings are different. What are chances of saving someone's name incorrectly. I just don't know. He's annoyed that I said it sounded suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

The 2 names begin with the same 3 letters but the endings are different. What are chances of saving someone's name incorrectly. I just don't know. He's annoyed that I said it sounded suspicious.

My best friends name is spelled incorrectly on my phone. I know how to spell it correctly and its an easy name to spell i just entered the wrong letters on the keyboard and since it was saved that way, and i actually didn't notice for a few weeks even though we'd text daily, i just never bothered to change it. I think mine is wrong in hers too but that's because she can't spell for **** and always mixes up letters, whereas with me it was just fat fingers on a keyboard, no big conspiracy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He's annoyed that he has been caught out and is trying to stop you bringing it up again by going on the defensive. Why would he do that if he had nothing to hide?

Listen to your instincts. If it was innocent then he wouldn't have lied in the first place, and if the mix up story was true he would laugh it off. Getting angry and defensive are the actions of someone who has something to hide. He will probably start calling you paranoid/mad, and accuse you of invading his privacy too. There seems to be a kind of script with these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tell him if it's just a work college he can call her on speaker and see what she wanted and if you're happy with what you hear you'll apologise, otherwise you'll leave because he is trying to hide who he is talking to.

If he doesn't accept that his actions would cause suspicion there is definitely something up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it a Polish/other Foreign name?

I know that with some of those names, even though they may sound like the English equivalent, they can be spelled differently - differently enough that you might think they are pronounced differently when they aren't - or maybe they are pronounced differently in Polish but it's easier for the person to go by the English sounding name when in Ireland.

For example - Katarzyna - it's a pretty popular Polish girls name, I know two with that name, and one goes by the name "Katerina" and the other "Kate".

I worked with one of them for years, and the actual spelling was in my phone, anyone who didn't know would probably read that as Katar-Zina, and be confused if I talked about my colleague Kate.

Could it be that?

No idea why he'd get angry though. Were you calm and collected, or was it a very confrontational episode when you asked him?

Also, do you have any other reasons whatsoever to suspect anything untoward is going on? Anything at all? Has he recently started working late? Been going places he hasn't before? Is he "out" more?

One missed phone call is hardly evidence of an affair.

If it's a blocked number then it wouldn't come up on his phone at all, never mind with a name, that's the point of blocking. His first explaination was a lie and his clarification a bigger one.

Very easy if the phone auto corrected the spelling or if it was entered after a few drinks.
    Don't get 5 from the 2+2 here.

Is it a Polish/other Foreign name?

I know that with some of those names, even though they may sound like the English equivalent, they can be spelled differently - differently enough that you might think they are pronounced differently when they aren't - or maybe they are pronounced differently in Polish but it's easier for the person to go by the English sounding name when in Ireland.

For example - Katarzyna - it's a pretty popular Polish girls name, I know two with that name, and one goes by the name "Katerina" and the other "Kate".

I worked with one of them for years, and the actual spelling was in my phone, anyone who didn't know would probably read that as Katar-Zina, and be confused if I talked about my colleague Kate.

Could it be that?

No idea why he'd get angry though. Were you calm and collected, or was it a very confrontational episode when you asked him?

Also, do you have any other reasons whatsoever to suspect anything untoward is going on? Anything at all? Has he recently started working late? Been going places he hasn't before? Is he "out" more?

One missed phone call is hardly evidence of an affair.

It's the confusion of him first saying a blocked number and then saying a colleague. Maybe there's nothing to it but the episode following was interesting. I really don't think he was fully honest. He said a lot of things in heat of moment then to hurt me and put me down which involved a lot of shouting. If I don't apologise he wants me to move out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It's the confusion of him first saying a blocked number and then saying a colleague. Maybe there's nothing to it but the episode following was interesting. I really don't think he was fully honest. He said a lot of things in heat of moment then to hurt me and put me down which involved a lot of shouting. If I don't apologise he wants me to move out.

Sorry OP but all of this from him getting a call from a "blocked" number that wasn't blocked at all. I really think you have your answer already here.

Clearly he wants out of this relationship as he is in one with this woman or is planning to be shortly.

An over-reaction would be an understatement of what has happened here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

If I don't apologise he wants me to move out.

Ah here, that is extreme! No way, if that had happened with my bf then I'd deffo think something was up! Wanting you to move out?? FFS that's harsh!

His reaction really would be alarm bells ringing for me. If he really had nothing to hide he would show you that there was nothing to worry about! Not telling you to move out over an apology he seems to be demanding? An apology for what? It was a genuine question, like he wouldnt do the same if the tables were turned?

Nah, something up there imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

That's a massive overreaction. What's your supposed crime? Having the audacity to call him out on a lie? Massive alarm bells here. Shouting at you and putting you down is an attempt to distract you from what you saw. Sounds like he's being deceptive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

He got completely on the defence OP which would tell me he's lying. Why would he say it was a blocked number when it wasn't?

I've been there and those that are guilty tend to deflect away from questions that may catch them out, and also will stick by their lies until you can prove otherwise, and even then they will justify their actions!

Personally I'd be reconsidering the relationship, as nobody would ever 'make' me apologise by telling me to move out if I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Oh no no no no...

He was verbally abusive to you and then says he wants you to move out of the house if you don't apologise ?!?!?

Tbh I wouldn't need to be told twice. He is a nasty article and probably because he has been caught out. Sorry op but this guy is a bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

If my partner saw a man's name come up on my phone and I made a mistake and said it was unknown promting them to question me, I would simply explain to them why I made that mistake and show them the earlier call that I had confused. I would be trying to convince them of my mistake and reassure them. I would not be issuing insults and insisting theyapologise ormove out.

These are the actions of either a guilty man or els a very unstable one. Either way I would move out.

You may never know the truth but you know he is willing to let you go, indeed to throw you away,this easily.

You are worth more, walk away with your dignity and try and start again. It will be hard with all the unresolved answers but he is a d*ck and that really is the only answer you need. You will get through it.

Is this totally out of character, the insults etc.. Is this the first "gut feeling" you have had. If not try and work out why you didn;t walk away sooner. If it is then be glad and thankful you have walked before it got worse.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

So that you can be the bad guy in the relationship break-up blame game. And he gets to parade his new girlfriend around sooner because since you were the one that moved out, you were not dumped by him for her. A squeaky clean result that works to his advantage.

A real relationship would not have a bog-standard row about a miscommunication resulting in an ultimatum like that. Is he going to ask you to move out if you both agreed you'd get milk on the way home but you forgot it? Or any other time you disagree?

He is acting too outraged in my view. Its a good chance he has spun the new girl a lovely tale about how he is really single, its been over for ages just...you know...staying flatmates until you can find a place and move out - oldest excuse in the book.

Unless he owns the house, why should YOU leave?? If he wants out of the relationship over you having the audacity to not believe the lamest of cover-up lies, then he can pack his bags and indignantly stalk towards the door, cant he?

Thanks everyone for your advice and taking the time to reply. We haven't spoken since so this evening will tell a lot. I really don't know when, where and how he'd have the time for someone else. I don't see why I should apologise for asking about the name. I don't know how it'll pan out. I know I'd probably tell someone leave too but I need to find out more first.

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Neyite wrote: »
    He is acting too outraged in my view.

This.

Complete over reaction on his part, to what would normally be just a casual observation. If it was a male name and you happened to say the same thing, would the same outrage have resulted?

Are you normally suspicious of him? Do you normally quiz him on girls he has spoken to? Or where he was /who he was with?

The only thing that could possibly explain his reaction is if you are constantly on his back and quizzing him on his every move. In that case this, however innocent you meant it, could be the straw that broke the camel's back. If you are not usually the jealous, quizzing type then he is completely over reacting... for a reason. He is attacking you to make this now about you, and how unreasonable you are. And as Neyite rightly says, it makes the break up easier on him, because it becomes all your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 KVA60

No you were not out of line for asking, you're hardly going to stand idly by and say nothing..what does he expect? The very same thing happened with my boyfriend early in our relationship. Only in this case we were in the car. Phone goes off starts flashing, I subconsciously look over and accidentally see a girls photo (contacts were linked with his FB) pop up. I'd seen the same photo liking all his statuses before so asked who it was, he lied and "Joe" his friend. I immediately said well that pic that popped up didn't look like "joe", why are you lying to me? He stopped the car and explained that this girl had a crush on him etc., constantly was all over his Facebook and he never answers her, told her about me etc...I asked why he lied and he said he was really afraid I wouldn't believe him and didn't want to lose me over it. He then showed me all his messages from her that were left unanswered, no reply on his part etc.. He wasn't angry or anything. The point I'm trying to make is why did he not just show you his phone if he is so innocent? Why act so angry? I think you have your answer OP.

This.

Complete over reaction on his part, to what would normally be just a casual observation. If it was a male name and you happened to say the same thing, would the same outrage have resulted?

Are you normally suspicious of him? Do you normally quiz him on girls he has spoken to? Or where he was /who he was with?

The only thing that could possibly explain his reaction is if you are constantly on his back and quizzing him on his every move. In that case this, however innocent you meant it, could be the straw that broke the camel's back. If you are not usually the jealous, quizzing type then he is completely over reacting... for a reason. He is attacking you to make this now about you, and how unreasonable you are. And as Neyite rightly says, it makes the break up easier on him, because it becomes all your fault.

No I'm not the jealous quizzing type at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't think you are going to get the truth out of him, he has shown that he is willing to lie and get angry to stop you questioning him. Him asking to you to leave unless you apologise is absolutely shocking and says it all really. In fact, I would go so far as to say it is emotional abuse and gaslighting. He wants you to doubt yourself so that next time you'll think twice before saying anything. There is no excuse for that, especially as you say you are not usually the suspicious type and aren't on his back constantly or anything. An innocent person would be going out of their way to show there was nothing untoward going on.

Have you noticed anything else amiss? Has he been more protective of his phone, bringing it everywhere with him? If you need more proof of something before taking steps to end the relationship, all you can do is let it drop for now, but be alert for any other suspicious behavior. I think you'll find that your trust in him has gone anyway and it's very hard to come back from that.

And don't apologise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

He lied (about the number).
    He got angry.
    Hes asked you to move out.

Even if he is telling the truth (and it is hard to see how through all that, but not impossible) how could you want to be with someone who is, quite frankly, manipulative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    An innocent person would be going out of their way to show there was nothing untoward going on.

THIS!

From experience of some of my own past relationships and the horrible breakdown of friends', the above is spot on. Barring constant accusations, a normal relationship relies on trust. If there is any reasonable doubt in that trust, by one half of the relationship, then it is up to the other half to reassure them. If you love and care for someone and get accused of potential infidelity, you do all you can to prove its not true. You do not go off on one, demand apologies and if not given say they should move out. Not normal.

The only exception to this is if the doubtful partner is insecure and unfairly making constant accusations. But the OP has clarified that she isn't like this.

Conclusion - Pack his bags and tell him to get the flock out of dodge!

I have left. Things didn't get any better this evening. I'm in shock really. Thanks to all who spent time helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 KVA60

Mazdaminx I really feel for you but you're probably giving yourself a lucky escape. If that's the way he deals with you looking at his phone then I can't imagine how he'd deal with any (more complex) situations in your future together. He clearly has communication issues (telling you to leave instead of offering you an explanation) and needs to grow up and get over his ego (making YOU apologise?!!). As others have pointed out his reaction is probably a tell tale sign that he's lying. Even if he isn't, and you may never know, you deserve a partner who doesn't give you ultimatums and is capable of having adult conversations.

• Advertisement

Sorry this has happened to you op. Hope you are ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have left. Things didn't get any better this evening. I'm in shock really. Thanks to all who spent time helping.

I'm really sorry that it worked out this way. You must be very hurt and upset. But I want to say: well done! This shows you're a very strong person. You didn't hang around hoping he'd change or apologise. You identified that something fishy was going on, you confirmed he was treating you really badly and you left. Although it's painful and raw and awful right now, that was the right course of action. Many out there (and I'd count my younger self in that) would have just tried to pretend everything was okay and stayed because they're too afraid of the alternative.

Faith wrote: »
    I'm really sorry that it worked out this way. You must be very hurt and upset. But I want to say: well done! This shows you're a very strong person. You didn't hang around hoping he'd change or apologise. You identified that something fishy was going on, you confirmed he was treating you really badly and you left. Although it's painful and raw and awful right now, that was the right course of action. Many out there (and I'd count my younger self in that) would have just tried to pretend everything was okay and stayed because they're too afraid of the alternative.

Yes it is hard. Hitting me now but I know I made the right decision for the long term. I'll miss the security and all the good things. What shook me today was how different he was with me, so detached and cold. I'm still quite shaken from it.

Yes it is hard. Hitting me now but I know I made the right decision for the long term. I'll miss the security and all the good things. What shook me today was how different he was with me, so detached and cold. I'm still quite shaken from it.

Hope you are ok ....but you are so much better off. Ul look back in this knowing you made the right decision

Hope you are ok ....but you are so much better off. Ul look back in this knowing you made the right decision

I hope so!! Break ups are sh**

The same thing happened to me when I confronted an ex about his middle of the night phone calls. He threatened to 'put my face through the wall' and that was the end of it. He had a new relationship two months later (Ireland is too small to hide things) and tbh, because he ended up being such a toerag, he was easier to get over and now 5 years later I never think of him at all. This is probably the best thing that will happen you.

CaraMay wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me when I confronted an ex about his middle of the night phone calls. He threatened to 'put my face through the wall' and that was the end of it. He had a new relationship two months later (Ireland is too small to hide things) and tbh, because he ended up being such a toerag, he was easier to get over and now 5 years later I never think of him at all. This is probably the best thing that will happen you.

I was thinking same. If another woman does exist I would get over this quicker. If there is no other woman then he just let me leave over something so silly. That's harder to deal with for me. Sorry to hear about your experience.

I was thinking same. If another woman does exist I would get over this quicker. If there is no other woman then he just let me leave over something so silly. That's harder to deal with for me. Sorry to hear about your experience.

It's ok. I'm delighted he showed his true colors at that stage and I'm not still with the psycho. My ex wasn't the man I things he was and neither is yours. He is not worth your years if he can do this to you so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

He didn't "let" you leave over something silly though, he basically pushed you out the door. And you shouldn't be wondering why or wishing he didn't, you should be proud of yourself for walking away from someone who wouldn't even show you enough respect to break up with you in a caring way and leave on good terms. He was just being a coward, whatever the strange circumstances were- new girl or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Even if the phonecall was innocent, it was clear from his subsequent behaviour that he did not want the relationship to continue.

If it matters to you at all OP, in my view he broke up the relationship with his overreactions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement