Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for meeting traveller girls

• 13-09-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am a single man from Dublin in my early 30's.
    I find the Irish travelling community fascinating and also the girls very attractive.

Problem is, i don't know how to go about meeting traveller girls.
    Can anybody advise me on whether there are dating sites where i can join or any other advice would be appreciated.

"Feeling hopeful"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Maurice Greene.

Briodys wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a single man from Dublin in my early 30's.
    I find the Irish travelling community fascinating and also the girls very attractive.

Problem is, i don't know how to go about meeting traveller girls.
    Can anybody advise me on whether there are dating sites where i can join or any other advice would be appreciated.

"Feeling hopeful"

Yes, there is a halting site up in Lucan I know of. Take a visit up there and ask them are any available girls interested. They may throw in a set of alloys with the offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Briodys

Just what i need. A f**king comedian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I know a few lads from the travelling community and from what I gather, it's heavily frowned upon for a traveller girl to date/marry outside of other travellers.

It happens, but just as an example, one of the lads' cousins is engaged to a lad from outside the community and she's received a considerable amount of grief from her family for it. The way the lads talk about her would indicate that it's very much taboo, and it works both ways as well for the men.

No idea where you'd meet the women. I met my mates just in a normal pub on the northside, didn't even know they were travellers until they told me. They're not all trashy, you know.

Yeah,

I always heard it was frowned upon but it also seems that with more education nowadays, i would think that more of the girls are career driven and want a different life. Who knows!!!

We'll keep trying. Thanks

I know a few lads from the travelling community and from what I gather, it's heavily frowned upon for a traveller girl to date/marry outside of other travellers.

It happens, but just as an example, one of the lads' cousins is engaged to a lad from outside the community and she's received a considerable amount of grief from her family for it. The way the lads talk about her would indicate that it's very much taboo, and it works both ways as well for the men.

No idea where you'd meet the women. I met my mates just in a normal pub on the northside, didn't even know they were travellers until they told me. They're not all trashy, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm bassing this on a lot of on what I've heard from people but travellers generally marrying within there community and if they do marry outside of it it's often frowned upon. Also from my experience members of the travelling community often marry in the late teens/early twenties. So finding somebody your age might be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Maurice Greene - responses such as this are completely unacceptable in PI, and only for the fact that you are a new member, I'd be considering an infraction or ban. I would appreciate it if you would read the forum charter before posting in PI again, as any future posts along this line will not be tolerated.

Briodys - if you take issue with a post here, report it. Responding to it in the way that you have done in-thread is against the forum charter.

Regards,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Apologies for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'm bassing this on a lot of on what I've heard from people but travellers generally marrying within there community and if they do marry outside of it it's often frowned upon. Also from my experience members of the travelling community often marry in the late teens/early twenties. So finding somebody your age might be difficult.

I agree with this.
    Not trying to be funny but if you'd just like to meet some and have a bit of banter though you could start going to horse fairs.

Never thought of a horse fair. Good thinking.
    Would just love to find an easier way like online.
    Everything is so much easier online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Briodys wrote: »
    Never thought of a horse fair. Good thinking.
    Would just love to find an easier way like online.
    Everything is so much easier online.

You're not going to find too many traveller girls online in fairness. Horse fairs or the other fairs are your most likely bet. You could try halting sites, but i find settled people are looked at with huge suspicion if you walk onto a halting site without a good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

pwurple wrote: »
    You're not going to find too many traveller girls online in fairness. Horse fairs or the other fairs are your most likely bet. You could try halting sites, but i find settled people are looked at with huge suspicion if you walk onto a halting site without a good reason.

I'd strongly advise against just waltzing into a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Maurice Greene.

Sorry Mike, sorry Briody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

OP, you are in your mid 30's...it is the norm for traveller girls to marry in their teens. You're probably a bit old at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK beyond time to close this thread.

OP, PI/RI is not a dating advice forum. There are plenty out there suggest you try some of those.

Regards
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement