Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Line

Options
  • 22-04-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Heya,

So my wife and I moved into a new house we just bought... we got a landline installed on Saturday just gone and were given the phone number... at the moment all the line tests say the line can take a max of 4mb.... I rang VF and said im not paying them the 38euro fibre charge for 4mb (MAX)

They said the line might settle and become available on the fibre... neighbours on either side of us (actually left and right of the house) have fibre available and a B&B which is out a country road is also connected to the fibre so it makes no sense why we couldnt.

Is this "line settling" thing true? Is there any way to make them come out and investigate why we cannot get on the fibre cabinet the neighbours are on?

Thanks,
    Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The ratings are only run every month or two, if your line didnt exist when they were last run it wont have a VDSL rating. You'll know in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

ED E wrote: »
    The ratings are only run every month or two, if your line didnt exist when they were last run it wont have a VDSL rating. You'll know in a few weeks.

Right so the line is basically at the moment saying it can take a max of 4megs... so do we just literally have to wait? Can Vodafone force it so we can get a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Thanks folks... I guess VF will just provide me with my max 4meg and then bump it once the fibre kicks in... seems bloody mental they cant force a proper check on new lines.

fionny wrote: »
    Thanks folks... I guess VF will just provide me with my max 4meg and then bump it once the fibre kicks in... seems bloody mental they cant force a proper check on new lines.

They wont do this by default, you'll have to call them and order an upgrade as you'll have to have a visit from KNN to fit it.

• Advertisement

They wont do this by default, you'll have to call them and order an upgrade as you'll have to have a visit from KNN to fit it.

They actually put the fibre splitter on the line in the house? Same as was in the old house? I know they need to change the line outside though

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Right so the line is basically at the moment saying it can take a max of 4megs... so do we just literally have to wait? Can Vodafone force it so we can get a service?

call VF and request eircom wholesale run a "manual prequal test" on your line

eircom wholesale will stress test the line (allow 96 hours) then they can determine what speeds your line can take with fibre

also request VF for a "cable records update" from eircom wholesale to get your number added to the list of lines capable of being jumpered to the same fibre cab your neighbours get their fibre from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

eircom wholesale will stress test the line (allow 96 hours) then they can determine what speeds your line can take with fibre

also request VF for a "cable records update" from eircom wholesale to get your number added to the list of lines capable of being jumpered to the same fibre cab your neighbours get their fibre from
    I'm hoping you know: does this apply to unbundled lines too? The manual prequal test or the cable records update?

If the line is fully LLU then its BTs job to do it. Vodafone would have to contact them on your behalf.

Thanks VF are going to chase eircom as they agree if my neighbours on my left and right can get it then I should have no issue... Said as you suggested around 4 working days for it all... So cob Tuesday hopefully

• Advertisement

If the line is fully LLU then its BTs job to do it. Vodafone would have to contact them on your behalf.
    This is the thing, I'm not sure if it's what I think used to be called "Line share" when first introduced or if it's complete LLU like when BT initially offered DSL here and then Smart Telecom.

What happens if eircom wholesale provide voice services and the DSL portion is unbundled?

This is the thing, I'm not sure if it's what I think used to be called "Line share" when first introduced or if it's complete LLU like when BT initially offered DSL here and then Smart Telecom.

What happens if eircom wholesale provide voice services and the DSL portion is unbundled?

Non DSL lines by their very nature can be prequalified, thus the test is done by the AXE or the voice portion of the service unit. So once its on an eircom AXE it can be eircom tested, if its on a BT or Smart unit theyve gotta test it.

Non DSL lines by their very nature can be prequalified, thus the test is done by the AXE or the voice portion of the service unit. So once its on an eircom AXE it can be eircom tested, if its on a BT or Smart unit theyve gotta test it.
    I *think* in Drogheda, they use Alcatel E10/E12 but that could be out of date or I heard incorrectly. Does that make a difference? Even if the line is unbundled, wouldn't eircom have to carry out the cable records update as they're responsible for the copper plant? I'm coming close to dragging the thread off topic, apologies!

Back on topic, I thought if you order some kind of fibre connection directly with your address details, they simply show up and connect your line and the VDSL modem etc. I had to get a new line fitted somewhere and there was nothing there to begin with but a couple of hours later, there was 50 Mbit VDSL2! Magnet are the ISP.

Yeah, E10s are eircoms standard.

You're correct, cable records are their deal, with the exception of the far side of the MDF in LLU exchanges.

Ive heard that if VDSL viability is assured then eircom will order it directly but if there's a question about it they go for PSTN first then prequalify for VDSL. Non unique or indescript addresses will always have to get a circuit first.

Looks like eircom is in the process of updating the lines according to their site... Fingers crossed it says I'm okay for fibre after its done.

Looks like eircom is in the process of updating the lines according to their site... Fingers crossed it says I'm okay for fibre after its done.

Whatever it was they were doing it didnt change my circumstances!

Nothing moves fast in this country does it? Still line reading as "inconclusive"

Nothing moves fast in this country does it? Still line reading as "inconclusive"

Today finally we are getting a read on efibre. According to eircoms checker we can get a max of 7mb...the neighbours 60 and 50.... But it's a start. Hopefully that will improve in the coming days.

Advertisement