Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference between the 2.5 ghz connection and tge 5 ghz

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

What's the difference between the 2.5 ghz connection and the 5 ghz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

the 2.4ghz ones overlap :

d833165b77c561c5a374a1253fc77dbb.md.jpg

the 5ghz not so much - i'll go off and find a scan

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

gctest50 wrote: »
    the 2.4ghz ones overlap :

d833165b77c561c5a374a1253fc77dbb.md.jpg

the 5ghz not so much - i'll go off and find a scan

So what one would you recommend to connect with in a normal house for better speed

new dual band stuff -

meanwhile - download this :

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

or something like it and have a look around your own place to see what its like

here you can see an eircom router using channels 5 & 9 in the 2,4ghz :

fb396cb06cdefe4c0d2e0b5dea6a100b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

new dual band stuff -

meanwhile - download this :

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

or something like it and have a look around your own place to see what its like

Cheers, ill try that out tomorrow. I did an internet speed test on my phone there on both signals and the 2.5ghz read 40mb download speed the 5ghz reads 69mb however when im on the 2.5 channel i constantly have full signal unlike 5ghz that may drop a bar upstairs. My modem is downstairs an I would be using my internet mostly upstairs so would the extra speed of 5ghz out weight tge extra signal bar of 2.5ghz

ah yeah - for the future you'd need a dual-band ( 2.4 and 5 ghz all-in-one-box ) router anyway - you should get serious speed out of them

1900megs out of a Linksys Wireless Router WRT1900AC (allegedly!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

5ghz will be faster as it uses 40mhz channels but it will not have the same range as 2.4ghz. 5ghz will not penetrate walls as well but will be very good in the same room as the router. As already said 5ghz has separation between the channels and has many more channels to choose from so less chance of interference. Older devices and smartphones won't have 5ghz so your 2.4ghz will become your legacy network.

You can connect your smartphone to both and it will hop between them, this may not be perfectly seamless but there are apps on the Android play store that make the phone check and switch back to 5ghz every few mins. I use this one.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dzitrone.wifi.five
    1900megs out of a Linksys Wireless Router WRT1900AC (allegedly!)

Once, in an optimal test environment in a lab (faraday cage), with only a single device connected. For real world speeds divide by two and take away a bit

Advertisement