Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow PXE booting from MicroServer Gen8

Options
  • 22-08-2015 12:30pm

I have a issue with PXE booting Windows Deployment Services on my home server. I have a HP MicroServer Gen8 with 16GB of RAM, a 240GB SSD and two 2TB WD Red hard drives. I wanted to use the bare metal for Hyper-V only and to put a couple of VMs on there for file backup and experimentation purposes. Nothing particularly heavy. But I've noticed that if I put WDS in a VM, the PXE boot process is quite slow. If I put WDS on the host, it boots fine.

I'm using Server 2012 R2, fully updated, and the HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2015.06 is installed. So everything should be up to date. I also disabled VMQ on the host's network adapters as this is troublesome on Broadcom cards, but it made no difference to the performance either way.

Thinking it might be the hardware, it is only a Celeron G1610T after all, I monitored the CPU usage on both the host and the guest while the PXE boot was taking place, but it barely registered on there. So I don't think that the CPU is at fault.

Any ideas?

Comments

Hmm, it's working today! No idea what I did differently. :confused:

Ah, I found out what I did differently. And it wasn't what I thought it was.

If I set up WDS in AD Integrated mode, the PXE boot was slow. If I set it up standalone, it was fine. After doing some searching I found this. I disabled NetBIOS for TCP/IP and it worked perfectly after that.

Advertisement