Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Route M8 toll tag price increase

Options
  • 01-09-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    did any one get a letter from Direct Route(Fermoy) informing the recipient that they are planning to remove the discount that applies to the toll tag and introduce a swipe card. The swipe card cannot be uses in the express lane, or on any other toll in the country, Can only be topped up by cash or cheque at the toll booth.
    This is a price increase by stealth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rubix02

I got the letter too - i tought it was very vague.

The new swipe card has many disadvantages - can't use express lane, can only use in manned booths which generally have the longest delays, no automatic topups - have to fill out an application form to top it up, can't use it on other toll roads)

If you have a toll tag you are most likely a frequent user so are benefiting the most from the current 10% discount. The new swipe card has so many disadvantages that you are unlikely to drop your present toll tag unless as a protest.

I suspect the takeup on the new card could be low due to the many disadvantages, so in effect they are removing a discount from one set of users (arguably their best customers) to give the discount to what is likely to be a much smaller set up users (due to the disadvantages of the card)

IMO it's a sneaky way of squeezing users for more money.

The 10% discount should apply to all prepaid users (toll tag and the new swipe card).

I rang them and complained, I suggest other existing tolltag users do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cagy1

rubix02 wrote: »

The new swipe card has many disadvantages - can't use express lane, can only use in manned booths which generally have the longest delays, no automatic topups - have to fill out an application form to top it up, can't use it on other toll roads)

If you have a toll tag you are most likely a frequent user so are benefiting the most from the current 10% discount. The new swipe card has so many disadvantages that you are unlikely to drop your present toll tag unless as a protest.

I suspect the takeup on the new card could be low due to the many disadvantages, so in effect they are removing a discount from one set of users (arguably their best customers) to give the discount to what is likely to be a much smaller set up users (due to the disadvantages of the card)

The 10% discount should apply to all prepaid users (toll tag and the new swipe card).

I did also and will be submitting a letter, All it is is a another way to get a price increase. but have we any other way to protest .?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The tags will continue to work as before, you will however pay full price for using the M8 fermoy road as you won't get a 10% discount :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The tags will continue to work as before, you will however pay full price for using the M8 fermoy road as you won't get a 10% discount :(

Sorry if this is a stupid question,but is this on the M8 itself or on the toll on the offramp at Fermoy?

• Advertisement

cagy1 wrote: »
    have we any other way to protest .?

Options as I see it are one or more of the following:

1. Write a stongly worded letter of protest. If enough people complain they may change their mind.

2. If they don't back down, hand back your tag in protest and pay with cash, they will loose the €1.25 monthly admin fee for the tag, you'll also get back your tag deposit.
    So financially you'll be better off. Downside is the incovenience of having to stop to throw coins in the bucket :(

3. Organize a go slow protest at the toll booths during rush hour :)

4. Ring Joe Duffy :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question,but is this on the M8 itself or on the toll on the offramp at Fermoy?

The 10% discount is being dropped from toll tags provided by Direct Route for use on the M8 Rathcormac - Fermoy Bypass. These tags presently give a 10% discount at the watergrass hill toll booths and the on/off ram at corrin fermoy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The 10% discount is being dropped from toll tags provided by Direct Route for use on the M8 Rathcormac - Fermoy Bypass. These tags presently give a 10% discount at the watergrass hill toll booths and the on/off ram at corrin fermoy.

Ah ok that answers my question, I use an eflow tag so pay 1.90 I think

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah ok that answers my question, I use an eflow tag so pay 1.90 I think

It depends on who issued you with your eflow tag.

The "Fermoy electronic tag" gives users a 10% discount when used on the M8 Fermoy Rathcormac bypass,

If you got your eflow tag from DirectRoute for the M8 Rathcormac Fermoy bypass then you are paying 1.71 (with 10% discount).

If you got your eflow tag from another toll operator or for another toll road operated by DirectRoute e.g Limerick Tunnel, then you are paying 1.90

From the directroute website "Please note that from September 28th, the 10% discount rate will no longer apply to journeys when customers use the Fermoy electronic tag at the Fermoy Toll Plaza"

It depends on who issued you with your eflow tag.

The "Fermoy electronic tag" gives users a 10% discount when used on the M8 Fermoy Rathcormac bypass,

If you got your eflow tag from DirectRoute for the M8 Rathcormac Fermoy bypass then you are paying 1.71 (with 10% discount).

If you got your eflow tag from another toll operator or for another toll road operated by DirectRoute e.g Limerick Tunnel, then you are paying 1.90

From the directroute website "Please note that from September 28th, the 10% discount rate will no longer apply to journeys when customers use the Fermoy electronic tag at the Fermoy Toll Plaza"

Thanks, it was eflow direct, and it's the 1.90 that I pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

I don't think I received a letter, so I took a look on their website. While the introduction of prepaid multitrip cards is a good idea, the way they've gone about it is very poor. Payment by cheque/postal order (or cash, if you chose to hand your form in), and of course you have to provide a stamped return envelope! Having to use manned booths would be annoying. HGV users should benefit, which is long overdue, but why they've decided to remove the tag discount is beyond me.

This is a clever way of bending the bye-laws to increase profits?
    DISCOUNT FOR MULTI-JOURNEY PREPAYMENT
    16. A discount of at least 10 per cent of the prevailing toll charge shall apply in
    respect of pre-payment for 20 journeys or multiples of 20 journeys.

http://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/tolling-information/statutory-notices/M8-Rathcormac-Fermoy-Bypass-Toll-Bye-Laws.pdf

I've given them a call (their management are due to ring unhappy customers back), and will be following up with a letter/email.

Options as I see it are one or more of the following:

2. If they don't back down, hand back your tag in protest and pay with cash, they will loose the €1.25 monthly admin fee for the tag, you'll also get back your tag deposit.
    So financially you'll be better off. Downside is the incovenience of having to stop to throw coins in the bucket :(

I'm sure they'd have no problem with you 'protesting' like that!:p

Sent them a letter last week, haven't heard anything back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 craigevans

Hey, late reply. My brother lives in Cork, gets the free paper, Cork Independent. There's an advert last week from Easytrip offering a tag with €20 credit for tolling if you quote "Cork" as a reference. I got the direct route letter, you don't have to be from Cork to sign up, get yourself €20 credit and the tag works exactly the same. Worked for me, new tag arrived yesterday! :)

craigevans wrote: »
    Hey, late reply. My brother lives in Cork, gets the free paper, Cork Independent. There's an advert last week from Easytrip offering a tag with €20 credit for tolling if you quote "Cork" as a reference. I got the direct route letter, you don't have to be from Cork to sign up, get yourself €20 credit and the tag works exactly the same. Worked for me, new tag arrived yesterday! :)

Hmmm, had a rifle through last Thursday's Cork Indo, didn't see any ad:confused:

Just to update, someone from management at the M8 plaza eventually called me, but wasn't budging, so I posted back the tag and closed my account, getting a cheque for the balance of my account back a few days later. Keeping my eye out for a good deal on a new tag provider, suggestions welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 craigevans

curiosity wrote: »
    Hmmm, had a rifle through last Thursday's Cork Indo, didn't see any ad:confused:

Just to update, someone from management at the M8 plaza eventually called me, but wasn't budging, so I posted back the tag and closed my account, getting a cheque for the balance of my account back a few days later. Keeping my eye out for a good deal on a new tag provider, suggestions welcome:)

Hi, probably got the date wrong, it mights have been a couple of weeks ago, though it is definitely in the paper today. I can't post the picture but I got my brother to text it to me, it's on page 12 today. The ad says "€20 free parking" but they said that the credit can be used against parking & tolling, or just tolling.

craigevans wrote: »
    Hi, probably got the date wrong, it mights have been a couple of weeks ago, though it is definitely in the paper today. I can't post the picture but I got my brother to text it to me, it's on page 12 today. The ad says "€20 free parking" but they said that the credit can be used against parking & tolling, or just tolling.

Yes, saw it today, thanks for the tip. :)

Advertisement