Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led bulbs

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Cheers paddy. I've been to two and they're all out of them. I guess I'll just keep looking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, hopefully im in the correct thread but i have 2 light fittings in my kitchen that use the following bulb type : http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4321833/Trail/searchtext%3EBULBS.htm (Osram R50 40 Watt SES Reflector Bulbs)

Each fitting takes 4 bulbs, so 8 in total. One bulb constantly goes every month and i am considering changing bulb type to LED or similar depending on whats recommended or indeed if i have to replace both light fittings, thats not out of the question either, they have been there since 2006!

Any advice appreciated :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kceire wrote: »
    Guys, hopefully im in the correct thread but i have 2 light fittings in my kitchen that use the following bulb type : http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4321833/Trail/searchtext%3EBULBS.htm (Osram R50 40 Watt SES Reflector Bulbs)

Each fitting takes 4 bulbs, so 8 in total. One bulb constantly goes every month and i am considering changing bulb type to LED or similar depending on whats recommended or indeed if i have to replace both light fittings, thats not out of the question either, they have been there since 2006!

Any advice appreciated :)
    If using screw in bulbs then remember to retighten them after first use and then every few months, expansion can loosen them - there is a reason why we use bayonet fittings in this part of the world

if they are going that quickly then any chance of a loose connection on the mains !

it's possible to get some CFL's with that fitting, but you'll pay for the privilege over here and because of that LED may actually be cheaper !

Over the life of the fitting it would probably have been cheaper to replace the fitting with one that takes better bulbs

Has anyone tried any of the LED Flood Lights? Would you have any recommendations?

I am wondering should I bother or just stick with a standard Halogen flood light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Has anyone tried any of the LED Flood Lights? Would you have any recommendations?

I am wondering should I bother or just stick with a standard Halogen flood light.

I tried a 7W Wattbeater S7 replacement and it was fine for what I wanted, just to get down the side of the house to the bins and fitted into an existing fitting. It was roughly equivalent to a 100-150w halogen so you wouldn't be servicing the car under it.
    There are good savings to make if it's on for a long time, BUT it was expensive! They've come down a lot now but they're still about €50 so you'd need to have it on a lot.

What LED would be really good for is in a security light that is constantly being tripped by passers by, as it comes on instantly unlike a CFL and uses a fraction of the wattage that a halogen does.

There are some complete LED luminaires which are more powerful if you need an outside work light but they're more expensive again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Real world data "This means that the LEDs are about 42 lumen/watt, which, as an idea, is comparable to the worst CFLs"

I'll say it again LED's are the future , the best ones out there are 273 Lumens per watt , but the future isn't here quite yet.

http://www.electrobob.com/led-logger/
    The light has been on continuously for about 1400 hours, two months.. The graph shown below will be updated periodically. So far, the LED strip has dropped about 18% in brightness compared to the beginning. Current has stayed the same, meaning that they are actually reducing their efficiency.
    UPDATE: after about 1400 hours of use, the prediction still stands, the strip will fall to 70% around 2200 hours.
    Using my modified power meter I found that the strip consumes 14.3W from the mains. This means that the LEDs are about 42 lumen/watt, which, as an idea, is comparable to the worst CFLs and is still rather poor for LEDs. But, do remember that this takes into account the PSU, which is the right way to evaluate for practical reasons.
    Based on the price I paid for the LED strip (~4.5 EUR/m), local electricity price of about 0. 09 EUR/KWh and bulb price, but excluding the LED PSU and workmanship for installing everything it takes 2800 hours for the LEDs to become cheaper than the incandescent.

Since my strip is not considered useful after 2200 hours as it becomes too dim, it means that it is not a cost effective solution for illumination, compared to incandescent bulbs. LEDs are supposed to save energy and money. It appease that low cost strips are not a good way for that.

What about more expensive LED strips? I used the same thinking as above and found more expensive strips with Nichia LEDs require about 7000 hours before they become cheaper than incandescent, again excluding the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Unusual looking Kickstarter project here is claiming 133 lumens/watt although CRI isn't that great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What's CRI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Macha wrote: »
    What's CRI?
    Color rendering index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Colour rendering index, a measure of how accurately a light illuminates different colours of the surroundings when lit.

They're giving a value of 70 for this bulb, but a CFL bulb might be about 80, and some other LEDs go up to 90ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Real world data "This means that the LEDs are about 42 lumen/watt, which, as an idea, is comparable to the worst CFLs

This is an irrelevant comparison. The title of the thread is "Advice: Led bulbs" the cheap PCB strip in this test does not enter this arena. People mostly want bulbs that will fit into their existing lampholders and will give exactly the light they are accustomed to (the second part is a lot harder to achieve than the first).

CFls from the mainstream manufacturers will be phased out in the next 3-6 years so the best will disappear, and only the mediocre and the dross will remain. While they have improved massively over the years, the light from CFLS is far from perfect and the environmental challenges of the gas in them remains.

Peanut wrote: »
    claiming 133 lumens/watt although CRI isn't that great.
    133 lm/w is in the territory of good high pressure Sodium Lamps, but still nowhere near the record

The graph is what I've been saying - there isn't a huge difference between existing LED and CFL's and that there are much better LED's on the horizon. The question is when the price of the new LED's drops enough to be lower that whole life cost of CFL.

d14286df3f43d3fc9ba959548bda82f9_large.png

Cedrus wrote: »
    This is an irrelevant comparison. The title of the thread is "Advice: Led bulbs" the cheap PCB strip in this test does not enter this arena.
    if anything the strips are less likely to overheat

People mostly want bulbs that will fit into their existing lampholders and will give exactly the light they are accustomed to (the second part is a lot harder to achieve than the first).
    I reckon in the future the best solution would be to have LED as part of the lamp fitting rather than as a separate bulb.
    CFls from the mainstream manufacturers will be phased out in the next 3-6 years so the best will disappear, and only the mediocre and the dross will remain. While they have improved massively over the years, the light from CFLS is far from perfect and the environmental challenges of the gas in them remains.
    CFL's will only last as long as they are cheaper than LED's

The colour is down to the phosphors used

Some LED's use phosphors , some use mixtures of different coloured LED's. It should be possible to make arrays of lasers that do a much better job of covering the spectrum evenly but at present that would be expensive.

It's a compromise and as anyone who has ever used real photographic film will know incandescent is very different to daylight.

Last CFL's I looked at had 4mg of mercury in them. An average tooth filling will have maybe a thousand times as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

kceire wrote: »

Each fitting takes 4 bulbs, so 8 in total. One bulb constantly goes every month....
    About a year ago I got some 6 watt Toshiba E-Core LEDs from a place at the crossroads in Crumlin D.12, about €11 each, they are excellent, as bright as 40 watt tungsten, and a warm white at 2700K. The particular ones I got are candle shape, not spots as originally fitted, but they fit into the same SES screw fitting, they just stick out a bit. I prefer the wider spread of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rule

Hi, can You reccomend any online shop with LED bulbs?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rule

Ok, so if there is good place online, any good shop arround Ashbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

There's the n2 electrical shop in ashbourne but I don't find them the cheapest. They're up behind that furniture shop after you turn left for the cinema.

Heads up,
    the next generation of better LED lighting should be arriving within the next 2-3 years. At which point you can consider dumping CFL's and existing LED

Philips have announced a 200 lumens per watt LED that should be on the office lighting market in 2015 and at a price not signifigantly higher than today's LEDs

100W incandescent would be replaced by a 4W LED :cool:

• Advertisement

I wanted to bump this thread. I eventually got around to replacing all the G9 bulbs.

I decided to try the Auraglow LED G9 - link from amazon.co.uk

Overall, I'm pleasantly suprised with these LED bulbs.
    The bulbs are stated to be 3000K but I think they are a good bit higher. Probably nearer the 3500-4000K. The bulb itself is about 3 or 4 times the size of a regular G9. I knew they were bigger before I purchased them but didn't realise how much bigger until I had both in my hand. Be warned, as they just about fit into my lighting fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Heads up,
    the next generation of better LED lighting should be arriving within the next 2-3 years. At which point you can consider dumping CFL's and existing LED

Philips have announced a 200 lumens per watt LED that should be on the office lighting market in 2015 and at a price not signifigantly higher than today's LEDs

100W incandescent would be replaced by a 4W LED :cool:
    Heads up again,

LEDs are on the way out, to be replaced by Lasers.
    The technological advance puts lasers one step closer to being a mainstream light source and potential replacement or alternative to light emitting diodes (LEDs). Lasers are brighter, more energy efficient, and can potentially provide more accurate and vivid colors for displays like computer screens and televisions. Ning’s group has already shown that their structures could cover as much as 70 percent more colors than the current display industry standard.

Another important application could be in the future of visible light communication in which the same room lighting systems could be used for both illumination and communication. The technology under development is called Li-Fi for light-based wireless communication, as opposed to the more prevailing Wi-Fi using radio waves. Li-Fi could be more than 10 times faster than current Wi-Fi, and white laser Li-Fi could be 10 to 100 times faster than LED based Li-Fi currently still under development.

How cool is this...

Advertisement