Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

throwing out laptop- best way to destroy hard drive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed. If you plan on selling it, that is. If not, DBAN it, and then drill 10 or so holes into the hard disk, dig a hole in the back garden, and throw the HDD into it, within a plastic bag.
    The plastic bag is for??? Keeping it clean? To prevent water getting in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Burn the Hard drive , and i don't mean burn like copying ,
    i mean burnnnnnnnnnn

istockphoto_1585877_harddrive_on_fire_5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

place it on a rail line line just before a freight train passes. That will definetly take care of all the 1's and 0's,
    or use Bertie Ahern memory wipe, similar to the red lights in Men in black where everything is forgotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Burn the Hard drive , and i don't mean burn like copying ,
    i mean burnnnnnnnnnn

istockphoto_1585877_harddrive_on_fire_5.jpg

Thats all grand but the platter is made of metal which wont get damaged in the flames(Not damaged enough anyways :D)

I destroyed a drive today actually by coincedince, i got a hammer and bashed the top cover until I got into the platters and then i just threw the platter into a box of fairly strong magnets.

No chance that will ever be usable again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Thats all grand but the platter is made of metal which wont get damaged in the flames(Not damaged enough anyways :D)

I destroyed a drive today actually by coincedince, i got a hammer and bashed the top cover until I got into the platters and then i just threw the platter into a box of fairly strong magnets.

No chance that will ever be usable again

thats true it is made of metal , but still i think fire would do serious harm ,
    these are the same hard drives that if a piece of dust gets in it'll ruin them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

Best of all, a Glass Hammer will do the trick, but be careful though.

Advertisement