Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Station to airport

• 02-09-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

We're travelling on an upcoming Sunday from Dublin Airport on a 15.50 flight.
    We'll be arriving at Heuston Station from Cork at 12.55.
    Assuming we need to get to the airport by 14.00 to allow for check-in etc, that gives us just over an hour between the station and the airport.
    Are we OK time-wise to take the Airbus (747?) or would it be better to take a taxi to be on the safe side?
    I'm thinking that the Airbus will cost around 14 euro, the taxi about 20....if that's the case, the extra few euro would be worth paying if time is tight.
    Comments or advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Youd wanna be sure youre going against the flow of traffic for croke park. If taking a bus or a taxi use the port tunnel or the M50, avoid the 16 bus in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

tony glenn wrote: »
    We're travelling on an upcoming Sunday from Dublin Airport on a 15.50 flight.
    We'll be arriving at Heuston Station from Cork at 12.55.
    Assuming we need to get to the airport by 14.00 to allow for check-in etc, that gives us just over an hour between the station and the airport.
    Are we OK time-wise to take the Airbus (747?) or would it be better to take a taxi to be on the safe side?
    I'm thinking that the Airbus will cost around 14 euro, the taxi about 20....if that's the case, the extra few euro would be worth paying if time is tight.
    Comments or advice welcome.

Have you checked times for the Airbus? I don't know how regular the are.
    maybe safer getting a taxi, esp if its not going to be that much extra, at least you will get straight there - rather than stopping at all the stops along the way, also if traffic is v bad the taxi can take a detour and go a different route where as the bus will have to stay on that road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You are aware that the All Ireland Hurling final is taking place this Sunday at Croke Park?

I would advise that you take a taxi just to be sure - it'll cost a bit more, but you will have peace of mind that you'll get there in time.

lxflyer wrote: »
    You are aware that the All Ireland Hurling final is taking place this Sunday at Croke Park?

I would advise that you take a taxi just to be sure - it'll cost a bit more, but you will have peace of mind that you'll get there in time.

You are aware you re-iterated my point, i would advise that you read posts just to be sure. It'l take a little more time, but you'l have the peace of mind that your post will be unplagiarised and fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You are aware you re-iterated my point, i would advise that you read posts just to be sure. It'l take a little more time, but you'l have the peace of mind that your post will be unplagiarised and fresh.

Absolutely - but you didn't say what was on!!

Not everyone is sports minded - I would have friends who would still have no idea either from your post (or in general) that the finals were on and that would mean 80,000 people heading there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭thebiglad

if you get in on time you'll have a reasonable amount of time even with the Hurling Final to contend with but definitely get a taxi - the bus will be rigid with its route regardless of traffic foul ups and its not that much of a saving on a taxi anyhow.

Better to be at airport and relaxed than stressing in a traffic jam.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Absolutely - but you didn't say what was on!!

Not everyone is sports minded - I would have friends who would still have no idea either from your post (or in general) that the finals were on and that would mean 80,000 people heading there.

Hes from cork like, its implied, but sher its against the law to know nothing about hurling there, punishable by a death beating with a crubeen.

Peoples republic for ya eh?

To summarise, Avoid Drumcondra and surrounding areas of croke park, and head to Airport on any route that takes the M50 or Port Tunnel, if you get the luas to the 3 Arena from heuston, theres air shuttles and regular taxis which can take you to the airport relatively quickly using the port tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

To summarise, Avoid Drumcondra and surrounding areas of croke park, and head to Airport on any route that takes the M50 or Port Tunnel, if you get the luas to the 3 Arena from heuston, theres air shuttles and regular taxis which can take you to the airport relatively quickly using the port tunnel.

I would second this. When you get to Heuston, hop on the next Luas heading to the Point. When you get there head to the East Wall Rd beside the 3 arena (main road) . There is a bus stop there with a pick up for the 747 airlink as well as the aircoach. It costs €6. If you are running late, or there isn't a bus for a while, hop in a taxi.

The luas will avoid the city centre bottle neck and take you to the start of the port tunnel. From The Point to Dublin airport will take 10-15 minutes bus or taxi.

A taxi from Heuston to Dublin Airport via the port tunnel on a match day could cost €35, including the toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Get the airlink 747 outside hueston when you arrive, its €6 each to the airport and you should get there in plenty of time.
    The taxi option is handy enough as well and could get you there quicker and it doesnt have to go via the port tunnel and you should still get there in plenty of time. Both options dont have to go anyway near Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

alternative is luas down to point depot and taxi through tunnel. Not sure if youd be better off just getting taxi from heuston though in that case... There is the aircoach and possibly other operators that go from Cork to Dublin airport...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A taxi from Heuston via the M 50 is going to be a long trip. It means a run up Phoenix Park and onto the N 3; fare wise it will cost circa €40. The Port Tunnel will cost a good chunk as well as it's a long trip, the toll needs to be added in plus it means dealing with traffic along the quay, which is not going to be pretty. Even to get a Luas to the Point plus a taxi from there is going to be dear. Cheaper than a missed flight, mind :)

I'd go via Church Street and onto Constitution Hill and Phibsboro and Ballymum to the airport. I used this corridor a lot when I drive a cab and it's actually quite quick, it has a bus lane for much of it's route, the match traffic won't block it too badly and it was fairly reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the tunnel toll on a sunday is E3 AFAIK via the tunnel it is only 6 miles to airport, with no stopping, how much could it be! I cant see it being more than E18 including toll...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the tunnel toll on a sunday is E3 AFAIK via the tunnel it is only 6 miles to airport, with no stopping, how much could it be! I cant see it being more than E18 including toll...

The 6 miles is as the crow flies from O'Connell Street. You also need to allow for the run from Heuston to the tunnel, traffic lights and delays, which can be scary. Years ago I took me the guts of hour on All Ireland Sunday to go from from Heuston to Connolly, that's how bad it can be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would you not just get one of the many private coach operators/bus eireann that go directly from cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

Given the day that's in it, and the time you are arriving at, the city centre and M50 will be busy.
    Personally I'd get the taxi, telling him to travel to the M50/M4 junction, travel along the M50 and turn off the M50 at Ballymun and go down the side of the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A taxi from Heuston via the M 50 is going to be a long trip. It means a run up Phoenix Park and onto the N 3; fare wise it will cost circa €40. .

A far quicker route is straight up the N4 and onto the m50 at Liffey Valley. Won't be much cheaper though

Up The north Circular road and is probably quickest from Heuston though and avoids Drumcondra

Dodge wrote: »
    A far quicker route is straight up the N4 and onto the m50 at Liffey Valley. Won't be much cheaper though

Except you have to head to Victoria and Albert Bridge to turn onto the N 4 or else head via Conyngham Road and onto the N4 at St. John's Road or Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Hey, thanks for all the input, it's actually the 20th September and I'd completely forgotten about the final. I'll sift through all the advice and make a plan A, then a plan B, then etc etc. Or we could just go to the Final instead. Are Cork in it? Just askin......

Hey, thanks for all the input, it's actually the 20th September and I'd completely forgotten about the final. I'll sift through all the advice and make a plan A, then a plan B, then etc etc. Or we could just go to the Final instead. Are Cork in it? Just askin......

Is that the date of the football final? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If you haven't booked a train yet then check out the direct bus options from Cork to the airport that was mentioned previously on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Get a taxi be done with it.
    As for the comments go tru the port tunnel ect ,.. complete madness and it will take an age to get down the quays.
    Taxi can go up through Constitution Hill up through phibsboro / ballymun if you want to avoid Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks, taxi it is then. Should we be worried about All-Ireland traffic on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Thanks, taxi it is then. Should we be worried about All-Ireland traffic on the day?

Ask taxi driver to go up through Constitution Hill / Phibsboro/ Ballymun to airport and you should be ok, as you will be avoiding the heavy traffic

Advertisement