Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach or Bus Éireann / Translink to Belfast?

Options
  • 07-08-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone know whether Aircoach or Bus Eireann/Translink to Belfast is a better option from a comfort / service point of view?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

atgate wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone know whether Aircoach or Bus Eireann/Translink to Belfast is a better option from a comfort / service point of view?

Well first of all Aircoach is more direct and thus faster (at least 15 minutes faster) as it doesn't stop at Newry, Bandbridge and Sprucefield like the X1 does.

Also you can book online and thus guarantee your seat with Aircoach. You can't do that with BE/Translink.

So I think Aircoach is the better service on the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Bus Eireann journeys will make you die inside a little.Aircoach are always super efficient.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've used both and prefer Aircoach by a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Thanks a million guys. Aircoach it is then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

having driven for both and been passenger on both i find the bus eireann / translink coaches more comfortable, more modern and cleaner than aircoach.

but the journey does go through a few stops.

you could get lucky. sometimes if nobody from dublin / airport is going to newry , banbridge or sprucefield then there's no point to go there so they get skipped as there is no pickup points heading to belfast.

Price wise i don't actually know who's cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

having driven for both and been passenger on both i find the bus eireann / translink coaches more comfortable, more modern and cleaner than aircoach.

When was the last time you used Aircoach?

You would be right about the old Setras they use to use on this route, but I believe they are now using the Jonckheeres on this route instead. At least that was the one I was on a few weeks ago.

The Jonckheeres while a few years old now, are still considered to be one of the most comfortable coaches operating in Ireland! Certainly much more comfortable then anything BE has. The seats are extremely comfortable and loads of leg room.

Also rumour has it that Aircoach are about to receive 6 brand new Plaxton Panthers literally any day now (they are already in Ireland, just not in service yet). These are the same coaches as currently on the Cork route. They are a pretty good coach, not quiet as comfortable as the Jonck, but more modern, with a superb, bright, wheelchair accessible toilet and power at every seat. Rumour has it they are destined for the Belfast route * If true they would be a big upgrade.

* While I'm 100% certain that Aircoach are about to receive 6 new coaches, I'm not 100% certain they are destined for the Belfast route. They could instead end on the Dublin Airport routes. However it is worth noting that the regular Belfast fleet is made up of 6 coaches, so that would be quiet a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bk wrote: »
    When was the last time you used Aircoach?

You would be right about the old Setras they use to use on this route, but I believe they are now using the Jonckheeres on this route instead. At least that was the one I was on a few weeks ago.

The Jonckheeres while a few years old now, are still considered to be one of the most comfortable coaches operating in Ireland! Certainly much more comfortable then anything BE has. The seats are extremely comfortable and loads of leg room.

Also rumour has it that Aircoach are about to receive 6 brand new Plaxton Panthers literally any day now (they are already in Ireland, just not in service yet). These are the same coaches as currently on the Cork route. They are a pretty good coach, not quiet as comfortable as the Jonck, but more modern, with a superb, bright, wheelchair accessible toilet and power at every seat. Rumour has it they are destined for the Belfast route * If true they would be a big upgrade.

* While I'm 100% certain that Aircoach are about to receive 6 new coaches, I'm not 100% certain they are destined for the Belfast route. They could instead end on the Dublin Airport routes. However it is worth noting that the regular Belfast fleet is made up of 6 coaches, so that would be quiet a coincidence.

They aren't bad at all i agree but it usually is those old setras on that route and they are very worn out i think. Very rare to see a newer one on it and I'd see them everyday from being in the city.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They aren't bad at all i agree but it usually is those old setras on that route and they are very worn out i think. Very rare to see a newer one on it and I'd see them everyday from being in the city.

I used both services over three days a week for four weeks last April,

The be/translink service was inferior in terms of comfort, journey time, and WiFi

It had nothing that was superior to aircoach and iirc was more expensive

Ah, I see, sounds like they are still mostly using the Setras so. Though the Jonck's definitely turn up on the route now from time to time.

Not that the Setras are bad. Setra is a top quality coach builder (up there with VanHools, etc.) and these coaches are also extremely comfortable and weel regarded. But being 11 years old now, they are definitely getting on in age now and a bit worn and tatty.

They are probably getting too old now for such a heavily utilised route. They are on the road something like 16 hours a day! That is why I expect we will see the new Panthers replace them in the next few months. Will be a massive upgrade to the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Just to feedback on this.

I went for the Aircoach in the end. On the way up to Belfast it was an oldish bus with no toilet. Bit tatty, but comfortable. Wifi not working (with an SSID of: Bus Eireann!) Load was about 70%

On the way back down it was the same type of bus but newer (or at least in better condition). Wifi working. Only a handful of people on.

Both services left on time. Outward was a little late arriving due to some faffing at Dublin Airport. Return arrived in Dublin early.

Happy with both trips. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement