Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My van only starts with a push!

Options
  • 29-06-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi

My van was goin grand .. . . Until one day she wouldn't start for me using the key. So I got few lads to push it, and she started straight away. This has been the case ever since- she starts with a push start only .

Starter and battery seem to be fine, and when turning with the key she seems to be turning good and fast . . .but it just won't start, unless its with a push, or I leave it off down a hill.

Any ideas of what wrong would be great.

Thanks

Comments

Why do you think the starter is fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Pushing the car is simply replicating the function of the starter (i.e. turning the engine over).

That would suggest either the starter is on the way out, or the battery isn't able to power the starter for long enough.

As the previous poster said, does the starter turn the engine over well when you turn the key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Worn starter gear? The starter is probably just spinning but it's not connected to the engine.

Does the starter sound any louder (i.e spinning more freely and faster)?

When you are starting the car with the key, does the rev gauge go up a tiny bit from the 0 position?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭tommyc123

Pov06 wrote: »
    Worn starter gear? The starter is probably just spinning but it's not connected to the engine.

Does the starter sound any louder (i.e spinning more freely and faster)?

When you are starting the car with the key, does the rev gauge go up a tiny bit from the 0 position?

The starter is turning the engine as normal, and seems to be turning it as fast as usual. I'm fairly handy at basic motor mechanics, so its nothing too simple.

tommyc123 wrote: »
    The starter is turning the engine as normal, and seems to be turning it as fast as usual. I'm fairly handy at basic motor mechanics, so its nothing too simple.

If the starter was turning the engine as normal then the engine would start :P

Like I said - go try start it and see if the RPM needle goes up.

• Advertisement

If the starter was turning the engine as normal then the engine would start :P

Like I said - go try start it and see if the RPM needle goes up.

I need to check this this evening so, thanks. What would this tell me ?

I need to check this this evening so, thanks. What would this tell me ?

That the starter is working but not turning the engine so it's physically not connected to the engine (e.g a worn gear)

That the starter is working but not turning the engine so it's physically not connected to the engine (e.g a worn gear)

The starter is turning the engine for sure. 100% sure of that. Otherwise I would hear the starter spinning freely. Or the timing belt etc wouldn't be moving. And it seems to be turning the engine good n fast. complicated one surely. Has me beat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about this one. I've come across an instance of a small air leak on the diesel system.
    The starter was unable to create enough compression to start the engine but it would start on a pull. Now this wasn't every time but few times a week, particularly after sitting over night. Was baffling.

How it was found?
    Not until it progressed to the stage that when te truck was under full load on a hill it would die off due to the air being drawn in. After much work it was traced down to a split in the seal on the glass bowl on the fuel supply.

_Brian wrote: »
    How about this one. I've come across an instance of a small air leak on the diesel system.
    The starter was unable to create enough compression to start the engine but it would start on a pull. Now this wasn't every time but few times a week, particularly after sitting over night. Was baffling.

How it was found?
    Not until it progressed to the stage that when te truck was under full load on a hill it would die off due to the air being drawn in. After much work it was traced down to a split in the seal on the glass bowl on the fuel supply.

That sounds very similar now then. Thanks. I'll look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Its sounds like an electrical issue to me, what is your van make/model op?

Its sounds like an electrical issue to me, what is your van make/model op?

Its a Renault master dic 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe it's a faulty ignition switch, when you turn the key to the start position it's turning off the fuel system..

jca wrote: »
    Maybe it's a faulty ignition switch, when you turn the key to the start position it's turning off the fuel system..

Does such a system actually exist in these vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Does such a system actually exist in these vans?

Of course it does, the ignition switch powers up the electrical system, maybe when it gets turned to the start position a connection is getting broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Does the fuel system have a primer bulb for the fuel in the engine compartment.
    If so, operate the primer until you feel resistance and then try starting it.

johnayo wrote: »
    Does the fuel system have a primer bulb for the fuel in the engine compartment.
    If so, operate the primer until you feel resistance and then try starting it.

I'll have a look now this evening and let you know. Thanks

Advertisement