Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Macbook Battery

Options
  • 20-02-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Have had the apple macbook nearly a year and the battery is running down a little bit faster than it usually does lately. Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have my macbook a year now and I'm not noticing any difference in the battery life.

Although this could be because I've always let the battery run down till it's empty before charging again till it's full.

best suggestion is for you to do the same and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

I've done the same as yourself by running the battery down and then charging it up fully again but checked the battery cycles since i posted that and have realised that i have charged the battery 222 full cycles in just over a year. Now i'm not too worried (or don't think i should be) as its only after 300 (apparently) that a drop is noticeable.

Thanks for the link to cocunut - will definately be using that!

@demosuki - have you used cocunut before? I looked at the link and it seems straight forward enough i think

:eek: followed the advise given by apple this is what happened: -

ran down the battery to 0%.

Left mac sleep on 0% from midnight until now, plugged power in as i am supposed to do.

Mac restarts and battery is showing 53%?!?! WTF!

I'm currently running it down again.

How the hell did the battery regenerate itself so to speak??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but did you leave it plugged in overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You can buy new batteries - handy to have a spare, in fact. Try posting in the Mac forum, btw (Tech/Operating Systems/Mac).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

They'll tell him to buy a new Macbook... it's their way. :P

Batteries do degrade over time, even without charging cycles, Li batteries can lose 20% of their capacity within a year just by virtue of their construction. After about 10 months, I'm noticing a drop in my own laptop.

Noticing it's like dropping a frog in boiling water, compared to putting him in cold water and slowly bringing it to the boil. In the first one, the frog realises there's something wrong and jumps out. In the second... boiled frogs-legs.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but did you leave it plugged in overnight?

Nope. It wasn't plugged in at all!! Thats what is weird.

Thanks for all the advice i've posted a thread on the mac forum :) fingers crossed it all works out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Li-ion batteries suffer no ill effects from being continuously charged, and in fact can be damaged by being discharged to 0%.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Protection_circuits_required

• Advertisement
Advertisement