Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RECOMMEND CAR CLEAN/POLISH

• 11-07-2012 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hello All

I have a 99 black golf which the paint work has become very faded on bonnet and passanger door. I got it cleaned and polished a few weeks ago (cost 25 euro) and it was fine for few weeks but its bad again. Can anyone recommend any car cleaning/polish/waxing products I can get to do it myself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Hello All

I have a 99 black golf which the paint work has become very faded on bonnet and passanger door. I got it cleaned and polished a few weeks ago (cost 25 euro) and it was fine for few weeks but its bad again. Can anyone recommend any car cleaning/polish/waxing products I can get to do it myself

If it is just a plain and simple polish job you want then go to Halfords and get some Auto Glym SRP. Give it a going over every couple of weeks.

If you want to get deeper into detailing click on my sig. you will get all the advice and products needed for a perfect finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Is there any products that lasts more than a couple of weeks?

** Could a mod move this to the detailing section please? **
    Is there any products that lasts more than a couple of weeks?

Yes,
    Depends again on what exactly you are after?

As a simple solution you could use the AG SRP to prep the paint and then top it off with Auto glym HD wax.. Again available in Halfords.

Again you could wash / Clay / Polish /Wax.

I would suggest you click on my sig below and visit Detailing republic.
    There are site sponsors on there that can supply everything you need from buckets to waxes / sealants.

This is a 2001 car as you can see,
    It has been treated to a Paint correction with a dual action polishing machine.
    and topped off with Wax.
    Is this what you are after?

23BE221A3668445197AEADCC3F64AA1A-0000326183-0002683063-00800L-86961964D2804061BE0C3358BC5F922E.jpg

This is a 2008 car.
    Not much between the finish
    Point being.
    Take your time and your car will look mint.

CD9ECFDFDB954D25A0379875F45C7F06-800.jpg

Thanks for reply.

Basically what I am after is a recommendation of what products i should buy and where? Its a black 99 golf so I'm not looking for a mint job but as it is now the paint work is very faded on one side - I am prepared to spend half a day or a day working on clean/polishing/waxing it but not sure what products i should buy - value for money is important but would spend a little extra if u recommend a particular brand/product

Thanks

Thanks for reply.

Basically what I am after is a recommendation of what products i should buy and where? Its a black 99 golf so I'm not looking for a mint job but as it is now the paint work is very faded on one side - I am prepared to spend half a day or a day working on clean/polishing/waxing it but not sure what products i should buy - value for money is important but would spend a little extra if u recommend a particular brand/product

Thanks

One product comes to mind to clean/prep the paint and that is Chemical Guys P40 polish.
    This should shine your paint.
    Then seal it in with a coat of wax,
    One wax springs to mind,

Collinite 845.
    Brilliant stuff.
    Good shine
    Get several months from a coat
    and best of all it is easy on easy off product.
    All are available in Ireland

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemicalguys-p40polish.html

You could also go for these twins
    Good reviews
    http://www.cleancar.ie/britemax-vantage-wax.html

CG P40 available here as well

http://www.detailingshed.com/polish/107-chemical-guys-p40.html

Paste wax.
    Not as easy to use as the 845

http://www.detailingshed.com/waxes/140-collinite-476-9oz.html

This is a good chemical cleaner as well
    Car Polish (with Acrylic): Pre-Wax Cleaner and/or Sealant

Available here
    http://www.autokote.com/car-polish.html

473ml Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

http://www.autokote.com/carnauba-wax.html

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Great detailed reply thanks very much

Great detailed reply thanks very much

I like everything Deatiled :pac:

Vectra - I went to Halfords & they recommended T-Cut so i tried it yesterday & today. Now although car is alot better its still a little dull. Whats the secret in applying T-cut correctly - how long do u leave it on car before removing? I did some panels 3 or 4 times and still there was black marks on cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

I would never listen to a Halfords staff members advice :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Sorry to say but you should have listened to vectra rather than the guys in halfords dude ;)

• Advertisement

I know - but too late now. Can anyone advise whats best way to use T-cut - or is it totally crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's far too agressive for a start. If you want good results do a bit of research and find the best methods to follow. I think Vectra posted a link there a while ago :p.

Vectra - I went to Halfords & they recommended T-Cut so i tried it yesterday & today. Now although car is alot better its still a little dull. Whats the secret in applying T-cut correctly - how long do u leave it on car before removing? I did some panels 3 or 4 times and still there was black marks on cloth.

Wouldnt use T-Cut.#Throw it in the bin,
    Go back to my links and suggestions, start from there.

Ok - will go for that Chemical guys P40 Polish - have u any recommendations on how use it correctly - (how long leave on car before wipe off) is it necessary to buy machine or is elbow grease sufficient.

Ok - will go for that Chemical guys P40 Polish - have u any recommendations on how use it correctly - (how long leave on car before wipe off) is it necessary to buy machine or is elbow grease sufficient.

Have a read of this
    http://www.chemicalguys.com/Polish_paint_correction_car_polish_scratch_and_swi_p/gap_105.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I know - but too late now. Can anyone advise whats best way to use T-cut - or is it totally crap

Step 1: Put T-cut into the bin
    Step 2: Go buy ANYTHING else

That's how to use T-Cut properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Another product that I have had success with in recovering an early '90s Toyota Red back to the glossy deep standard colour is the G3 Paint Renovator. Get the waffle pads with it in Halfords.

It takes a fair bit of elbow grease to get it working. I spent ~3hrs today in the Toyota trying to get the white coating off the paint, and I've mostly succeeded. There are a few places that I missed the first time around so I'll get them tomorrow daytime when I get a chance.

So I would wash the car, do a claybar on the painted panels, rinse off and let mostly dry before using the G3 renovator. Once that is on and you have wiped it off with a cloth, a good quality wax would be the next step.

Advertisement