Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expired Passport Use

• 26-05-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have a passport thats out of date. I am 18 since October and I had a Garda Age Card up until recently when I lost it on a Friday night.

My old passport ran out in June but it states my DOB which is all I really need along with the photo to get into clubs and use it in the off license surely? I rang the Garda station in Clontarf about my lost card and they said I will have to buy a new one to be made but I wont be allowed until September (wtf?). I wont be travelling abroad of anything soon so i dont really need to renew my passport.

Whats the story with using the old passport in places where you need to produce age id? Will shops, pubs, etc accept it even though its expired? :confused:

EDIT* Last thing just to mention the passport was issued about 4 or 5 years ago and I look significantly younger in the photo however you can clearly recognise it is infact me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

spritza wrote: »
    I have a passport thats out of date. I am 18 since October and I had a Garda Age Card up until recently when I lost it on a Friday night.

My old passport ran out in June but it states my DOB which is all I really need along with the photo to get into clubs and use it in the off license surely? I rang the Garda station in Clontarf about my lost card and they said I will have to buy a new one to be made but I wont be allowed until September (wtf?). I wont be travelling abroad of anything soon so i dont really need to renew my passport.

Whats the story with using the old passport in places where you need to produce age id? Will shops, pubs, etc accept it even though its expired? :confused:

You'll find most places require a current passport or drivers license. Whether or not they actually look close enough to check is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

say it really depends on the place you go - i mean at the end of the day its still you on the ID - altho i lost my passport and when to guards to get signed form to get new one and the only ID i had was expired driving licence ( i had stopped driving) adn guard said he coudlnt except it as valid ID as it was out of date!

id say most places will look at date of birth and wont bother looking at expiration date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spritza

Lets say in the short term.. do you think it will work in places such as Tesco, Mace, etc those supermarket/shop type places that sell drink and cigarettes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

messrs wrote: »
    say it really depends on the place you go - i mean at the end of the day its still you on the ID - altho i lost my passport and when to guards to get signed form to get new one and the only ID i had was expired driving licence ( i had stopped driving) adn guard said he coudlnt except it as valid ID as it was out of date!

id say most places will look at date of birth and wont bother looking at expiration date.

Reminds me of Dara O brien

You ID is out of date

But its still me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Degag

Lets say in the short term.. do you think it will work in places such as Tesco, Mace, etc those supermarket/shop type places that sell drink and cigarettes?

Ii would imagine so. Don't think they will check the expiration date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Lu Tze wrote: »

You ID is out of date

But its still me!!

Yeah that's the first thing that came to my mind too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

some places only except garda id :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Most places take it,tescos wont ann some nightclubs.

So tesco definitely wont accept it no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Ive been using mine as proof of age for the last few months and havnt had any problems so far. I'd say its a mix between looking over 18 and most bouncers not checking that its expired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'll make you a new passport. I only charge €20.

Here's two I made last week for some satisfied customers:

http://tinyurl.com/36w8ug9

http://tinyurl.com/325x6pv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm only 21, but thanks to my general appearance (lazy bastard and being 6' 2" and so on...) I often get mistaken for being 28 or so (and have been called such...:mad::()

The best laugh I got was in one place where the server got snotty with me (I haven't been I.D.'d since I was 16!!!) and asked "Are you eighteen?" and I decided I'd try, "No, I'm 27."

Talk about an embarrassed head on your wan. She couldn't get me out of the place with whatever I wanted quick enough!:D

Ive been using mine as proof of age for the last few months and havnt had any problems so far. I'd say its a mix between looking over 18 and most bouncers not checking that its expired

Can i ask is the majority of places you've tried in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Why don't you just go out and try it rather than asking here all day?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Can i ask is the majority of places you've tried in Dublin?

Yeah the majority were in Dublin!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

If it doesn't work you can always sell it to Isreal for a few bob.

greetings wrote: »
    Why don't you just go out and try it rather than asking here all day?

Because ive been minding my little niece all day smartarse. Will try tomorrow or even the weekend. Rather not have my beloved Guinness tempting me during these summers days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Lu Tze wrote: »

You ID is out of date

But its still me!!

thats the reply i gave to the guard to when he said it to me - he wasnt to impressed!! and still wouldnt sign my form!

Okay so I tried it yesterday in Tesco Artane with a 6 pack of Guinness for a 10er and it worked fine. Just went to the self service and showed the Vietnamese woman the passport and she must of glanced at the 1991 part and gave the nod. Happy about that. Hopefully though, it works with those big ass bouncers. Ill try tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

You will generally not have an issue unless you plan to buy booze in Spain in which case you will need a new passport. On the bright side, by the time you get it, you will no longer be stopped for ID as you will be 56.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wont be travelling abroad of anything soon so i dont really need to renew my passport.
    You should probably renew it anyway so you don't have to do it just before you travel next. It's valid for the next 10 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"I've lost me ID, here's an out of date passport from when I was 12"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

"I've lost me ID, here's an out of date passport from when I was 12"

It can't be out of date after just 2 years!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

yeh its grand as long as its clearly you, i always use my old one and i never have a problem with it anywhere. except when i went to the bank.....?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Places always took mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

my passport is out of date 2 years next week, i've never had a problem with it, a lot of places wont take my in date lisence but take that.

Advertisement