Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bill cullen on the late late!!!!

• 08-05-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

anyone else watching the late late at the moment????

Have you been listening to bill cullen and the other one?

Saying that he kept his job yrs ago because he gave 24 extra hrs a week for free!!!! that that sort of attitude is needed to help us out of th recession!!!

herslef saying that we should be willinging to work extra days and not get paid for them!!!!

So employers shoudl in their eyes, discriminate against those who cant work over and above what they are contracted for.

yes we are in a recession.....and yes we should do whatever we can.....within our capability........but proclaiming such nonsense on the late late.......all i can say is i am gobsmacked!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bill Cullen is salt-of-the-earth and worked hard to get to where he is today. Of course he can make ludicrous and impossible demands towards his workforce, it's the Soviet way. Or something.

**** this, I'm gonna go watch Star Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

MariMel wrote: »
    Saying that he kept his job yrs ago because he gave 24 extra hrs a week for free!!!! that that sort of attitude is needed to help us out of th recession!!!

herslef saying that we should be willinging to work extra days and not get paid for them!!!!
    !

Bill and a lot of other employers are no doubt creaming themselves about the amount of possible cheap labour they can wring out of their staff under pain of 'the current climate.'

And his bird looks like a melted candle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Excellent, makes note to force my staff to work a few hours free, for me the economy of course.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jimmy the Weed

Bill, Bill, Bill, what a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Escapism

she also said that that she'd get out and pull the weeds on the side of the road ..... somehow I cant imagine it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

MariMel wrote: »
    So employers shoudl in their eyes, discriminate against those who cant work over and above what they are contracted for.
    Trade Union lapdog much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

stovelid wrote: »

Ha Ha good one... What was she on about....ya we really should all get out of our (Brand new rena**t) cars and do a bit of weeding...I mean it's not that bad really to be on the dole and do a bit of weeding...
    And then watch the Apprentice on our meteor phones while we're at it..it's great...

My god these 2 gobsheens are all over the place.. could they get some mildly interesting guests on the late late please..ones that dont think their main contribution is to go on about leitharoidi ..

I knew I should have stayed away from that 1 button on the remote..grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Hmm...having met Bill three times and Jackie many more I'll say one thing about them both, rather egotistical BUT they DO work hard.
    And I put in twice the hours I get paid for. Excellence demands it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Never mind Bill, did anyone see Snyper playing the accordion?

Excellence demands it.

They sell cars don't they? I'd rather be shot than "excellent" in that field tbh.

• Advertisement

I've got some shirts that need ironing here when you finished. Can't pay you, but I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.
    They sell cars don't they? I'd rather be shot than "excellent" in that field tbh.

Selling cars in Ireland 1995-2007. Tough gig. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

jackie looks like a cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it just me or was Bill cullen only on the Late Late a year or so ago. Constant repitition of guests is boring.

And as for working all those extra hours for nothing...fair enough a few here and there but beyond that, no thanks. We'll all be dead long enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The state of that yoke with Bill Cullen!! She looks like mutton dressed as, er, mutton..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

Aidric wrote: »
    Trade Union lapdog much?

never been a member of a trade union......
    i have however found myself in a situation in a job i loved.....whereby i used to go in on my day off...only to be phoned and asked where i was one day.........and for me to get in....it was my rostered day off!!!!

In the last few yrs I have done quite a bit of contract work...from a few weeks to over a year........ and found that i was being s*****d in holiday pay from the recruitment agency!

Selling cars in Ireland 1995-1007.
    She looks every year of it.

Selling cars in Ireland 1995-1007. Tough gig. :)

Indeed. Not only must they perform the impossible task of selling cars backwards throughout time, but they have to do it prior to their invention as well. Sucks to be them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the state of your wan with him

a great advert for why you shouldnt use sunbeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So if I worked 3 times the hours I get paid for would I be twice as excellent as yourself?

Who cares how long people spend at their job anyhow..sound like inefficiency to me...

Sorry just ranting, but this guy is famous in Ireland for what ??? selling cars!!! what a talent...I suppose he raises money for charity too...

What's wrong with using sunbeds? The guido look is hot this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Armelodie wrote: »
    Sorry just ranting, but this guy is famous in Ireland for what ??? selling cars!!! what a talent...I suppose he raises money for charity too...

Sold apples too, so I am led to believe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

the state of your wan with him

She's a bit of a wrinkly raisin allright. I found her comments about getting the unemployed to pick weeds at the side of the road a bit patronising tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

His girl in the office starts at 5 am supposedly.

Bill works 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

Jackie thinks we should all clean up the weeds to help the economy out.

What a pair of clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

She wants her head examined so. Life's too bloody short for that imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Firefox10 wrote: »
    She's a bit of a wrinkly raisin allright. I found her comments about getting the unemployed to pick weeds at the side of the road a bit patronising tbh.

why shouldnt they do some work instead of sitting on their backsides getting money handed to them

i thought they actually made some sense about the schools etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dracman

Haha..can you imagine Jackie pulling weeds on the side of the road...eh...no. Id say the only thing shes pulled is the botox needle from her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,778 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What is it with all you guys - anyone that has worked hard all their lives and made money and then give free advice and explain how they did it - you guys just hit at them and make fun of them - and then come onto boards posting threads about rubbish about how i've lost my job - what am i going to do -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sounds like his job wasn't the only thing that got burned at both ends.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I don't. I get the mugs to do it.....and I am excellent at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

jesus just watching the repeat...... Oh god what is he talking about does he seriously expect people to work 20 hours a week without pay and why did pat not pull them up on their stupid comments...
    Always thought bill cullen would have a bit of sense what with his deprived up bringing an all.
    he should run to jin Fianna fial!! My guess is he would fit right in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I generally put in over 15 hours a week unpaid.

Why? Because wages costs have to be kept down, and I'm getting paid regardless. The jobs still have to be done, and I don't have as many minions to do them anymore!

Some of my friends (and most of the time, Her Indoors) don't get it. They're always saying, "Why don't you leave after your 8 hours," Yadda yadda yadda. Because its my job.

And Bill Cullens yoke that was beside him? Eww. Only saw a few minutes of it. My eyes feel dirty.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What is it with all you guys - anyone that has worked hard all their lives and made money and then give free advice and explain how they did it - you guys just hit at them and make fun of them - and then come onto boards posting threads about rubbish about how i've lost my job - what am i going to do -

No one is begrudging him his success, it's more to do with the patronishing way both of them come across. Suggesting people should be at the side of the road pulling weeds is demeaning and never in a million years would either of them do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It depends on the company. Rather unfortunately some will take you for an eejit given the first opportunity, so while he has a point, its not generally applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Why? Because wages costs have to be kept down, and I'm getting paid regardless. The jobs still have to be done, and I don't have as many minions to do them anymore!
    Some of my friends (and most of the time, Her Indoors) don't get it. They're always saying, "Why don't you leave after your 8 hours," Yadda yadda yadda. Because its my job.

Very noble of you. However bear in mind when it comes to culling staff, companies usually have absolutely no loyalties to anyone and you may find that all your hard work has gone unnoticed and unappreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Havent seen it but......
    I do find that "everyone should be working longer/harder during the recession"
    There is a BIG difference between this guy and the majority of the population. This guy was working 15-20 hours extra per week in his own business. He wasnt working for an employer. He was building up his business. Which is what business owners have to do when starting up and to succeed. They'll see the results eventually if they work at it.
    Not so the Joe Soap worker. Work while your in work but there really isnt a reason to work unpaid hours as generally you'll get no thanks for it, and life is short. Why work all the hours in the day when there is so much else to do.

Not sure about the weeding thing, a bit daft as well coming from her. There are schemes across the country where people clean the neighborhood etc, I think its something like this she was leaning towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cant say I saw it but the OP has given enough info to suggest what Cullen was all about.

Lets get this right Cullen is a clown. He's only on The Apprentice as they couldnt get anybody else of credibility to do the show. For anybody who watched it they will know appreciate how clueless this guy is. He reminds me of Grandpa Simpson wearing Just For Men.

This man is the quintessential 'lucky' businessman and is not a man to be respected or listened to when it comes to what's required to get out of a recession. In fact Im seriously pissed off my TV license cash went towards this goon appearing on national TV for a few minutes, grrrr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

People seem to be taking the extreme positions here.

Surely in these times everybody should be willing to a reasonable time in addition to their normal work to safeguard their jobs.?

Surely employers should not take undue advantage of this and should recognise effort over and above the norm ?

And also recognise that some people for family or locational reasons cannot do constant additional hours.

Havn't a greta deal of sympathy for the type of small business represented by the SFA or ISME given their exploitation antics during the boom.

Does it occur to any of them ..shops...pubs etc to invest in customer service training for their staff...I fear not....just rent your shop ...staff it with surly teenagers /students / po faced foreigners and wonder how you failed !!

Showere of ego driven autocrats ..IMO.

But the ones I would really cull are the clock watchers and time servers who do as little as possible during the working day.

A clear out of that cohort will be one recession postive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Bill cullen can ask my [EMAIL="ar@e"]ar@e[/EMAIL]. Bill cullen and the board of DAA asked the workers not to demand the govt increase this year and for there loyality the board would keep on the temp workers. When the unions agreed they let them go anyway and now they are going into unions this morning looking for cutbacks. Priviatisation my [EMAIL="ar@e"]ar@e[/EMAIL], matin cullen and sheamus brennan have a lot to answer for!

Its every man and women for themselves and if he thinks I am going to work extra hours for free to build up his pay cheque and bonus he can shove his cars where the grass doesent grow!

This is after hours after all! :D

• Advertisement

Bill:" We say good afternoon to someone who comes in at 8am"

Such utter sh**e I never did hear. Dont think Bill would like me I usually wander in around 9:30 or later on occasion.

Bill:" We say good afternoon to someone who comes in at 8am"

Such utter sh**e I never did hear. Dont think Bill would like me I usually wander in around 9:30 or later on occasion.

And he probabaly pisses off to play golf around 10am :rolleyes:

He has to get up early to take his tablets ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

robbie1977 wrote: »
    His girl in the office starts at 5 am supposedly.

Bill works 20 hours a day 7 days a week.

Jackie thinks we should all clean up the weeds to help the economy out.

What a pair of clowns.
    Bill is full of sh1te. If he is working 20 hours a day 7 days a week he would have only 4 hours a day to eat, sleep, go on the late late and doll himself up. Your wan called herself a man during her interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Bill is full of sh1te. If he is working 20 hours a day 7 days a week he would have only 4 hours a day to eat, sleep, go on the late late and doll himself up. Your wan called herself a man during her interview.

Good owl family man promotes the family life, Wonders why kids are so wild cause they never see there parents. in his day they just beat the crap out of you.

Good society values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

'I'm lukin fer warriors'

Bill is definately prone to the sh1t talk and it's obviously rubbed off on his melted wellington of a sidekick.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

needs a polish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If he had a hot young trophy wife people would criticise him for being a dirty old man.

Here's Jackie Lavin: http://irishartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/bill-cullen-jackie-lavin.jpg She's in her 60's so in fairness she's not that bad looking. I'd love to know how you lot will look when you're that age.

javaboy wrote: »
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

A bit like how he "managed" the contestants on The Apprentice then... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

His hair looks very dodgy there.. Wonder if he has a Terry Wogan

• Advertisement
Advertisement