Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeders Cup Weekend

Options
  • 30-10-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/lame-magician-out-of-breeders-cup-turf/1740692/top/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews
    REIGNING Longines Breeders' Cup Turf champion Magician will not defend his crown on Saturday, having been ruled out due to lameness.

Magician had been as short as 5-1 with Beftred for the Santa Anita Grade 1, and following Wednesday's news, the bookmaker made fellow European raiders Flintshire and Telescope their 5-2 joint-favourites (from 7-2).

Aidan O'Brien said on Wednesday: "We were looking forward to him, we thought he was coming back to where he was after winning the Irish Guineas and the Breeders' Cup Turf.

"When he came out for a trot this morning he was brutally lame. He's lame on his off-fore."

Frankie Dettori will still ride O'Brien's other runner Chicquita, with Joseph O'Brien unable to do the weight of 8st 11lb.

The Breeders' Cup Turf was set to be Magician's last start, as he is to be retired to Ashford Stud in Kentucky.
    Magician out, shame, think I would have opposed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Personally, I won't be budging from my pick for the Classic. Jamie Osbourne has been incredibly bullish on Toast Of New York. A few things went against it last time out against Shared Belief when it ran into trouble while coming into the straight. Also, Jamie seemed to think that Victor Espinoza panicked when California Chrome went a few lengths clear stating that Jamie Spencer wouldn't have known not to push the button so soon. Horse owes me nothing after that run in Meydan, but still think this is a great e/w chance at 14/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

A lot to like about Telescope in the Turf. Gave Australia 8 lbs at York, beat by 4 lengths. Gave Taghrooda a stone at Ascot, beat by 3 lengths. Beat Hillstar by 7 lengths at Ascot. Main Sequence (7/1 for the turf) beat a horse called Big Blue Kitten at Belmont in September by a length. Big Blue Kitten was beaten by Hillstar 3/4 of a length at Woodbine last week. Basically puts Main Sequence about a length in front of Hillstar which Telescope beat by 7 lengths in the summer. Telescope at 4/1 and Main Sequence at 7/1, I know where I'd have my money.

Edit: Telescope is actually 5/2, got him at 4s during the week. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Telescope is 5/2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Personally, I won't be budging from my pick for the Classic. Jamie Osbourne has been incredibly bullish on Toast Of New York. A few things went against it last time out against Shared Belief when it ran into trouble while coming into the straight. Also, Jamie seemed to think that Victor Espinoza panicked when California Chrome went a few lengths clear stating that Jamie Spencer wouldn't have known not to push the button so soon. Horse owes me nothing after that run in Meydan, but still think this is a great e/w chance at 14/1.

Think he has no chance he looked a blatant non stayer in a poor Belmont Derby. Not sure where you're getting California Chrome out of Francie he has never ran against the horse. Think Shared Belief is plenty short at his price, unbeaten but I'm not sure what he has gone up against, it wasn't the same Game on Dude that he beat at Del Mar. I'd be quite disappointed if Tonalist didn't run well. Chrome ran too badly last time to back but he would be a big danger if at his best back at 10 furlongs

Daredevil is badly drawn in the juvenile but I think he looks like a beast

Not sure where you're getting California Chrome out of Francie he has never ran against the horse.
    It was Game On Dude I was thinking of, apologies.

• Advertisement

I'd be quite disappointed if Tonalist didn't run well.
    Think Zivo was very unlucky against it last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

The ones I really fancied are all injured- Wise Dan, Magician, American Pharaoh.

But there are a number left running I still fancy. Think Hootenanny in the Juvenile is easily the best once he stays. Nonaynever should be too speedy for the rest in the Sprint. And Toronado- if he handles the track he should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

War envoy is a major player as he will be totally at home on breeding/ground.my banker is dank who looks unbeatable after a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hootenanny is the only thing sticking out at me today.

Hootenanny is one to avoid for me, no run in 68 days, Dettori on for the first time, unproven over the mile (although breeding suggests it shouldn't be a problem). Just too many question marks to make this one favourite. Would have liked Commemorative, but am put off by it not being on Lasix.

• Advertisement

Just cannot see Goldencents being beat in the dirt cup mile either. Won this last year, has an even better draw this year. This one has smashed second favourite Fed Biz on more than one occasion. 5/4 best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

I quiet like War Envoy chance in the Juvenile Turf. Some decent form in amongst all of those placings.

Seems to be a lot less racing on the Friday compared to last year. Did they get rid of the Marathon race?

Corals 6/4 on Goldencents for the next 10 minutes.

I tried to get on but got this message.
    You have already exceeded your maximum stake on this selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Anyone able to give me a stream for attheraces? non of my usual ones working for me:mad:.. wizwig/firstrow/cricfree. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Anyone able to give me a stream for attheraces? non of my usual ones working for me:mad:.. wizwig/firstrow/cricfree. cheers

Just go to the official Breeders Cup site, its usually on that live

I don't really fancy any. I'm not sure of Toronado, I just thought him at his best should have beaten Charm Spirit and be a fair bit better than Night of Thunder. Questions over all of the European runners in the mile for me. Obviously could be a big price at 16/1. Really disappointing last time but he's lightly raced this year and is probably the best turf miler bar Wise Dan or not far off the top. He's crucially well drawn and could be worth a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Is it just me or does the irish commentator need a major kick up the ar se! He sounds like he's watching paint dry with his commentary in Dundalk..no sense of excitement in his voice whatsoever..monotone city! He must love his job

Good ride and a good winner. Poor ride by Moore, boxed in in the straight, wouldn't have been good enough regardless but not his finest

Edit maybe I'm being a bit harsh watching it again

Imagine the uproar if Joseph was on War Envoy

Ryan Moore made a balls out of that, held up too far back and encountered traffic when trying to make a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Racing post ap said that hootenanny had won the race 5 minutes before it started...so i lumped on! happy days

ste2010 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the irish commentator need a major kick up the ar se! He sounds like he's watching paint dry with his commentary in Dundalk..no sense of excitement in his voice whatsoever..monotone city! He must love his job
    He's got a monopoly on the gig, I'd rather have Jerry Hannon, less bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The godolphin horse in that race would have won with any luck in running. :(

Goldencents should be winning this, fancy pants on fire for the forecast

Not impressed with that ride on Goldencents, but horse itself is as game as you come. My double with Zunera makes up for the mess that Ryan Moore made of War Envoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Not impressed with that ride on Goldencents, but horse itself is as game as you come. My double with Zunera makes up for the mess that Ryan Moore made of War Envoy.

What would you have done differently? thought he went off way too fast myself, dunno how he lasted home

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sivoliere 12 -1 in 10.50
    I like this ew !

Agree with that, horse got him out of jail the way he battled on. Best horse in the race by a mile.

Qualify could be another tough one for Moore, drawn out wide so bound to have to come late, plenty of luck needed.

Osaila is off putting with the Hannon yard always failing to fire in the BC even if its the younger Hannon!

Sunset Glow and Lady Eli to battle it out unless Moore can provide a masterclass on Qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Agree with that, horse got him out of jail the way he battled on. Best horse in the race by a mile.

Qualify could be another tough one for Moore, drawn out wide so bound to have to come late, plenty of luck needed.
    I
    Osaila is off putting with the Hannon yard always failing to fire in the BC even if its the younger Hannon!

Sunset Glow and Lady Eli to battle it out unless Moore can provide a masterclass on Qualify

Backed osaila, sorry i did now that you mention the hannon factor!

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    What would you have done differently? thought he went off way too fast myself, dunno how he lasted home
    Hard to complain if he gets the horse home, but can't help but feel the button was pushed far too early. Horse was a lot better than all of these on paper, so should not have had to been ridden so hard at the close.

As for the next race, small bet on Qualify e/w. Liked it anyway, but surely Moore will be keen to right his mistake earlier this evening.

Advertisement