Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skipping at traffic lights

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

At long last - the true meaning of Friday returns ....:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Esho wrote: »
    Same thing happened this morning to me - a cyclist (yes, basket on bike) tried to weave around me and another cyclist as we were stopped at the lights. Thing was, the lights turned green just before she weaved around me, so I nearly crashed into her. Why O why do the slow cyclists need to go to up to the lights? My solution from now on, is to go up to the front myself. (Ahhhh... vented .. now I can start my day :-) )
    I love it when people pull ahead at the lights, and especially if they go before green, makes a great personal sprint target to pass them out again as quickly as possible (yes, I do have a basket on my bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I find when they put a rope between the traffic lights and play double Dutch the most annoying

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3jbQ5Edvo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Suppose I make a couple of alterations to your statement

I drive at a decent pace even though I own a hybrid and not a diesel car (big mistake on my part in the first place). I pass out 90% of other cyclists I meet on my commute.

What bugs the **** out of me, is when I have passed a number of slower cyclists and then eventually come to a red light, they feel the need to skip ahead of me at the lights, which results in me having to wait behind them again until it is safe to pass them out. This of course is only the case for the ones that obey the traffic lights in the first place.

Does anybody else have this happen?

You can only feel aggrieved if you've provided other road users with the same courtesy.

Yes, all the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I just stop sideways so that I'm blocking the entire cycle lane until the lights go green. Get fitter, get faster, get out of my way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

franer1970 wrote: »
    Hate it when a "serious" cyclist on a "racer" gets in front of me (on mountain bike) at the red lights.
    Yeah, eventually he'll reach a higher top speed than me, but with his fewer and taller gears he'll take a bloody age getting there.
    And as for fixies...

I like sitting on my fixie at the back and letting all the "serious" cyclists on racers, "commuter" cyclists with BSO and "random moaners" on mountain bikes snake up ahead of me, then boom! Out of the box weaving and elbowing my way through them all like a proper scratch race in a sprint to get to the next lights, then start all over again. Or better yet, on the cargo bike and don't weave, touch wheels til they get the hint. Then me and all the motorists and taxi drivers have a natter about all the slow cyclists and how they're always getting in the way, with their smug faces and showing too much skin.

Remember, what you have to get to is way more important than what everyone else has to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I agree it is very annoying, but just suck it up and continue on. I find that its a rat race until i get away from the canal, usually up through Crumlin or on past Drimnagh I have lost them in a plume of burnt rubber :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was on a road bike for a long time but switched to a ten tonne MTB a few weeks back, after some initial annoying cycling due to everyone and their granny over taking me, I'm a bit faster, nothing annoys a roadie more than someone on a mtb overtaking them, and 99 times out of 100 they will pull in in front of me at the next set of lights, annoys the **** out of me

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

nothing annoys a roadie more than someone on a mtb overtaking them
    No, nothing annoys them more than being overtaken by a steel-framed fixie with a front basket, ridden by someone dressed as a skeleton. Well, this morning, anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have said it to people before, but they get very defensive. Some parts of my commute are dangerous and to overtake a cyclist again puts me in more risk. I think it's pure ignorant.

Sometimes I position myself in an awkward position. If there is traffic, my bike is slanted so these eejits can't pass. Other parts of the road I just take up the centre road at the front (no traffic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Remember, what you have to get to is way more important than what everyone else has to get to.

Truly these are words to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

to overtake a cyclist again puts me in more risk.

So don't overtake. Problem solved, you're welcome, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Nobody on a mountain bike has ever passed me while on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Jawgap wrote: »
    The only decent rebel ever to come out of the 'so-called' Rebel County and they shot him.

If you think about it, it is pretty rebellious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

For anyone interested, I'm planning on an hour and a half city centre spin, Dublin bikes only, no faster than 15kmph, all of the shoaling this evening from O'Connell Bridge while wearing a Flash Gordon costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

For anyone interested, I'm planning on an hour and a half city centre spin, Dublin bikes only, no faster than 15kmph, all of the shoaling this evening from O'Connell Bridge while wearing a Flash Gordon costume.

Are you going to save everyone of us?

Are you going to skip everyone of us?

Yes

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

while wearing a Flesh Gordon costume.
    I know it's Halloween, but that's just downright scarey ....

Beasty wrote: »
    I know it's Halloween, but that's just downright scarey ....

I had to double check my own spelling there. Chapeau.

buffalo wrote: »
    So don't overtake. Problem solved, you're welcome, etc.

This is an stupid solution. How will that solve anything?

If I am travelling at 40Kmph I should match the speed of the slower cyclist ahead of me? Some cyclists are incredibly slow. Your logic is terrible really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If I am travelling at 40Kmph I should match the speed of the slower cyclist ahead of me?

Yes, until (or unless) it is safe to overtake. For both of you. Same as with other moving objects on the road.

This is what buffalo meant I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I was hit crossing the road in front of the Q bar last time I was in the Dublin. Fúcker ran a red plowed into me and then sped off without so much as a woopsidaiyies. Spilled my coffee the smelly poo poo head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not sure it's skipping.

It seems a bit more like flouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Rory28 wrote: »
    I was hit crossing the road in front of the Q bar last time I was in the Dublin. Fúcker ran a red plowed into me and then sped off without so much as a woopsidaiyies. Spilled my coffee the smelly poo poo head.

you'll want the "don't stop at red" thread, not the "shoal at red" thread.
    that one is on the second friday of the month.

Alek wrote: »
    Yes, until (or unless) it is safe to overtake. For both of you. Same as with other moving objects on the road.

This is what buffalo meant I assume.

Why would you (or buffaly) insinuate that I was overtaking dangerously. Overtaking is dangerous regardless of how safe you are.

You may have a lot of room, check over your shoulder, move out and VROOM!!! A Vehicle travelling at 80-100Kmph just misses you.

I find overtaking, no matter how careful you are, is always risky and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was accused by a cyclist the other day of breaking lights when I did not.
    She had the lights and turned onto the road where I was waiting at a red light - while the usual load of cyclists pushed by me and barred through the red light.
    Lights go green for me and intake off and pass this person up ahead of me. As I pass between her and a car stationary in traffic she goes a bit Bolshy and accuses me of breaking lights and giving cyclists a bad name.
    I was furious given that I waited at the lights for a good while as the just turned red when I arrived at them.
    Bit shocked - only thing I could say to her was relax.
    Still a bit bugged by it. You simply can't win.
    I think some people cannot accept that other peoples commuting pace is faster than them - so they take an overtake as an insult. I'm not fast. Just faster than about half the commuters with I'd say about half again faster than me.
    I dress in Lycra commuting for comfort and utility. But I don't race while commuting - ever.
    Find it nuts that I can't overtake some daft bird without getting a dose of verbals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

ROK ON wrote: »
    I was accused by a cyclist the other day of breaking lights when I did not.
    She had the lights and turned onto the road where I was waiting at a red light - while the usual load of cyclists pushed by me and barred through the red light.
    Lights go green for me and intake off and pass this person up ahead of me. As I pass between her and a car stationary in traffic she goes a bit Bolshy and accuses me of breaking lights and giving cyclists a bad name.
    I was furious given that I waited at the lights for a good while as the just turned red when I arrived at them.
    Bit shocked - only thing I could say to her was relax.
    Still a bit bugged by it. You simply can't win.
    I think some people cannot accept that other peoples commuting pace is faster than them - so they take an overtake as an insult. I'm not fast. Just faster than about half the commuters with I'd say about half again faster than me.
    I dress in Lycra commuting for comfort and utility. But I don't race while commuting - ever.
    Find it nuts that I can't overtake some daft bird without getting a dose of verbals.

If you are so fit and fast then why aren't you out overtaking the cars on the right?

I would personally think it bad form to interfere by imposing your own overtaking manoeuvre on top of someone who was in possession of the road before you and is also in the middle of an overtaking manoeuvre themselves.

If she was on the road first then she has priority over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am neither fit or fast. This lady wasn't overtaking anyone. She was cycling on the road. The car to my right was stuck in traffic and not moving. There was ample space for me to pass by the lady with space.
    There was no one trying to cram into space that wasn't there. She simply got antsy because I passed her. She wasn't holding me up because the space existed to pass. If she was holding me up I would simply have waited until I could pass.

Do you feel that when space exists to safely overtake that somehow i should cycle behind someone for some reason?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Try being a woman on an old racer. I'm like a target for them :rolleyes: 99% of other cyclists shoal by me at lights. I pass 90% when the lights go green and it's safe to go by. You rarely see them again. Guys On old mountain bikes with tracksuit bottoms on cycling with knees out are the worst offenders. Fcukwits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

gadetra wrote: »
    Try being a woman on an old racer. I'm like a target for them :rolleyes: 99% of other cyclists shoal by me at lights. I pass 90% when the lights go green and it's safe to go by. You rarely see them again. Guys On old mountain bikes with tracksuit bottoms on cycling with knees out are the worst offenders. Fcukwits!

Can I try a. Being on an old racer or b. Being a woman without simultaneously experiencing the other or is it a package deal/magical bicycle scenario?

Shoaling annoys me but the endless reckless to downright overtaking by not very fast cyclists of each other never ceases to amaze me.

Advertisement