Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

to feed or not?

• 31-10-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

well lads, do ye think its a good idea to feed the dog in the morning before I go out or just give him 1 big feed tonight? this is my first season wuth my own dog so new to this:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tikka391

well lads, do ye think its a good idea to feed the dog in the morning before I go out or just give him 1 big feed tonight? this is my first season wuth my own dog so new to this:)

I usually give my lads a small feed bout 6 in morning. They do a long days work do the wife will have a nice pot of hot soaked nuts for them when they come home cold and tired. Think this feed is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I give my dog a small feed this evening and he will hunt all day tomorrow, feed him again one hour after hunting.
    Tikka391 wrote: »
    I usually give my lads a small feed bout 6 in morning. They do a long days work do the wife will have a nice pot of hot soaked nuts for them when they come home cold and tired. Think this feed is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭RICKYD

ya a good feed this evening and the spaniel should be ok for 2 moro. il giv her something small 2 eat after breakfast just to keep her ticking over. as tikka said a rite decent feed 2 moro evening is very important. good to go again then sunday morn

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kinelly

I feed as normal all week but no food the night before a hunt. I find that food before work does more harm than good. Water during the day and as said, good reward when we get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Could you do a day's work on an empty tank ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

What i feed my lot the evening before shooting is half the usual amount of dry nuts and pasta this will give him all the energy he needs for a days work. Good luck with your new dog pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

no less than 16 hours before hunting high fat meal as soon as I we get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kinelly

Could you do a day's work on an empty tank ?

I explained what I do with my dogs, as other lads have. I feed a raw diet and find that my dogs work better without feeding the evening before work. My dogs are fit and healthy, not emptying for the first half hour out (pups don't vomit during travel) and certainly not lacking in stamina.
    Have you anything to offer to the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

feed as normal this evening 5pm back myself for grub around 1pm tomorrow brown bread for dogs with a spoon of sugar gone again around 2pm for the rest of the evening doing it for years and it works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jarv

I always feed the same as normal on a shoot day never had and problems dogs work all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

jarv wrote: »
    I always feed the same as normal on a shoot day never had and problems dogs work all day.

Exactly, don't expect endurance and performance on an empty belly. You have to keep in mind that your dog covers a multiple of the distance you cover and often works through fairly dense vegetation expending quite some energy. What odds if it does a crap or two in the first hour or so that you're out.

Advertisement